He's very quick. He's also Welsh.
Mellsblue

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mellsblue »

Earle has had a good 25 mins.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Earle has had a good 25 mins.
unconvincing defender tho
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Earle has had a good 25 mins.
unconvincing defender tho
Yep.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Gloucester fans - how do you rate Tom Hudson? David Flatman was really singing his praises last weekend and he looked good again in the highlights from Friday night’s game.

I didn’t realise he was 23 which is relatively late to break through these days. What’s the story?
Puja

Post by Puja »

It seems cruel to even post this, but Manu is back in consideration for Leicester this weekend.

So, let's start the spread. Two games? A nice run of 5-6 to get the hopes up before crocking himself again? Or will it be the perennial favourite - not even making it through his comeback game?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I think he'll have a sustained period of fitness and be crowned world harbour swimming champion in 2019.
Being serious, I'll refer back to my previous thoughts on the matter and stick with a prediction of a punctured lung before the end of his first match back.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

I reckon he and Billy V will be fit for the 6Ns and provide the gain line breaking ballast we’ve been missing

I also believe my wife will give me no sh*t wen I get home and talk about what a delightful breeze it is looking after our children
Stom

Post by Stom »

I reckon he'll get fit, he'll play a run of games until Christmas looking decent but not great. Then he'll come back in January and start looking world class, play in the 6N devastatingly well, before injuring himself against Ireland in the last match, missing the summer tour at least, probably the AIs, too.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

The witch doctor visit will prove the turning point in his career.

I'm entirely confident the trip back to Samoa for a session under the caring, healing hands of a wise old bird will have done the trick.

He will play without serious injury until old age renders him ineffective. That, or he'll get crocked the 3rd game into his comeback.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

It's sad that Tuilagi and Billy are so injury-prone. The snag is that it may always be the case because of the way they play as battering rams. I'm the eternal pessimist about this but I can't help guessing that Underhill is on the same bus.
Puja

Post by Puja »

While we may mock the witch doctor, it's no sillier than going to Lourdes or even certain types of chiropracty. The fact that he's had different and unrelated injuries every time suggests that there's an element of psychological effect - he's tense and nervous about injury recurring and lo and behold, it does.

If it puts him at ease and he believes in it, then I'm happy to let the placebo effect go.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

@Puja - I saw that!
Sadly, I can't disagree, given "certain types" :(
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:@Puja - I saw that!
I'm sad to say that, with my memory, that wasn't even an intentional zing. Still, even certain types and witch doctors are a distance above homeopathy and that's funded on the NHS.

If it makes Manu feel better and less tense, then I'm all for it. After all, Wilkinson's many and varied injuries cleared up immediately when he had the pressure released by going to Toulon and not having to carry Newcastle and England on his back anymore, so clearly there's something to be said for the mental side of injury-prone players.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:The witch doctor visit will prove the turning point in his career.

I'm entirely confident the trip back to Samoa for a session under the caring, healing hands of a wise old bird will have done the trick.

He will play without serious injury until old age renders him ineffective. That, or he'll get crocked the 3rd game into his comeback.
....a bit off tangent, but a change in regimen worked wonders for Jonny Wilkinson.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:@Puja - I saw that!
I'm sad to say that, with my memory, that wasn't even an intentional zing. Still, even certain types and witch doctors are a distance above homeopathy and that's funded on the NHS.

If it makes Manu feel better and less tense, then I'm all for it. After all, Wilkinson's many and varied injuries cleared up immediately when he had the pressure released by going to Toulon and not having to carry Newcastle and England on his back anymore, so clearly there's something to be said for the mental side of injury-prone players.

Puja
Ha, you beat me to it.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: If it makes Manu feel better and less tense, then I'm all for it. After all, Wilkinson's many and varied injuries cleared up immediately when he had the pressure released by going to Toulon and not having to carry Newcastle and England on his back anymore, so clearly there's something to be said for the mental side of injury-prone players.
Oh there's no doubt about that at all, these days we call it the BioPsychoSocial approach to healthcare (as opposed to BioMedical)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Interesting interview with Simmonds in the Times today. He has mainly been a 7 until this season. He played there exclusively during two DR years. This is his first senior season at 8 - maybe ever but the interview wasn’t clear on that - but he sees it as his preferred position. Jones has asked him to put on some timber but ‘only’ 2kg as he doesn't want to compromise his speed.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Looks like the 6 nations is coming up:

https://www.distinctathlete.com/six-nat ... care/83289

Itoje -

"taken to hospital on Sunday for scans on a facial injury amid fears he may have fractured his cheekbone or jaw."
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

twitchy wrote:Looks like the 6 nations is coming up:

Itoje -

"taken to hospital on Sunday for scans on a facial injury amid fears he may have fractured his cheekbone or jaw."
Well....except that the 6 Nations aren’t coming up though. They’re over 2 months away. IF it is a fracture, it would have to be a particularly complicated one to keep him out for even part of the 6 Nations.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Be good for him to actually get a rest.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Timbo wrote:

Itoje -

Well....except that the 6 Nations aren’t coming up though. They’re over 2 months away. IF it is a fracture, it would have to be a particularly complicated one to keep him out for even part of the 6 Nations.

Well sure, it's also just pure speculation. We are certainly due our yearly pre 6N injury crisis though.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

twitchy wrote:
Timbo wrote:

Itoje -

Well sure, it's also just pure speculation. We are certainly due our yearly pre 6N injury crisis though.
...which we deserve for overplaying our players- hardly a coincidence
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
twitchy wrote:
Timbo wrote:

...which we deserve for overplaying our players- hardly a coincidence
And over training and having too long a season
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Raggs wrote:Be good for him to actually get a rest.
This