EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

We could pick Mercer, Skinner, Armand, Kvesic, Mogan, Rowan, Wilson, Curry, Thompson, maybe even Jones (?) all of which looks more practical than Waldrom
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

twitchy wrote:How much has clifford been playing recently?
Not at all. Was bang in form as he got a recall for the Autumn squad then dislocated his shoulder.

Made the teamsheet for Quins a couple of weeks back (much sooner than expected) and pulled out before kickoff. I’m not sure if there’s any more recent news than that?

I hope he can recapture how he was playing. Looked absolutely gutted going off the pitch, probably feeling that was one of his few chances to stake a claim for England slipping away from him.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Well half our team that will hopefully be ok is only going to have a few weeks of match fitness before the six nations so you might as well throw clifford in as well.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I see Isiekwe is at 6 again for Sarries.

Rhodes is on the bench so I suspect it may be shortlived, but if we’re looking for a 6 with lineout presence Isiekwe could develop in to a long-term option.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Isiekwe doesn't look all that fast at club level, or have I got that all wrong?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Digby wrote:We could pick Mercer, Skinner, Armand, Kvesic, Mogan, Rowan, Wilson, Curry, Thompson, maybe even Jones (?) all of which looks more practical than Waldrom
Does Armand play at 8?
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Digby wrote:Isiekwe doesn't look all that fast at club level, or have I got that all wrong?
He’s absolutely rapid.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Timbo wrote:
Digby wrote:Isiekwe doesn't look all that fast at club level, or have I got that all wrong?
He’s absolutely rapid.
Fifita quick?
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Digby wrote:
Timbo wrote:
He’s absolutely rapid.
Fifita quick?
In full flow I think it’s possible. But no way does he move with the same agility or balance as Fifita.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Digby wrote:We could pick Mercer, Skinner, Armand, Kvesic, Mogan, Rowan, Wilson, Curry, Thompson, maybe even Jones (?) all of which looks more practical than Waldrom
Yes. But the chubby Waldrom is strangely effective. He's now scored 40 tries in 70 games for Exeter. No other backrower comes remotely close to this and he is more likely to score from 5m than anyone else. He showed a surprsing turn of pace, and a step, a couple of weeks ago (forget the opponents at the moment) for a bloke of his size/shape/age. If Eddie simlpy wanted a stopgap, with no future, to keep the slot warm until his favourites get fit, he could do worse. Waldrom has often been a game changer off the bench. Still, the possibility of his selection is about zero. ( I did quite like Nick Easter too ;) )
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Work rate is a massive factor in Eddie selections. Waldrom is ‘strangely effective’ from close range but isn’t involved enough beyond that to interest Eddie.

I’m not sure what the situation is with Clifford, so I’d pick Simmonds and Mercer if Billy is not fit.

As possible stop-gap solutions, what about Jono Ross? He’s EQ and has been quietly influential at Sale. A definite upgrade on Beaumont anyway.

Apparently there is a training squad named on Friday so we’ll get a sense of Eddie’s latest thinking.

I’m hoping to see Ben Curry, Armand and Wilson get some recognition.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Didnt know Ross was EQ. Certainly doing a fine job at Sale.

Apparently Wilson MotM yesterday. I dont see what else the guy can do to get some recognition. Armand is in the same boat.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

I've now seen two 'teams of the year' with Faz at 12. Is it me?
Digby

Post by Digby »

How inept a level do Hartley's performances need to drop to before he'll not be picked, so many bad parts to his game today
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Digby wrote:How inept a level do Hartley's performances need to drop to before he'll not be picked, so many bad parts to his game today
English hookers better than Hartley :

George
Cowan-Dickey
Ward
Dunn

.......... feel free to extend the list.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Even Dallaglio stuck the boot in today commenting that Haywood had done more in 2 minutes than Hartley managed in the preceding 60. Harsh but probably right.
The leadership stuff is starting to really grind my gears. If he is such a great leader, then why isnt he leading by example for his club who are in desperate need of some inspiration? If his leadership really is that special why cant he raise the performance of those around him?
Saints were, and have been for most of the season, plain awful.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Spiffy wrote:
Digby wrote:How inept a level do Hartley's performances need to drop to before he'll not be picked, so many bad parts to his game today

George
Cowan-Dickey
Ward
Dunn

Not sure about Ward, Taylor maybe. Still means he's in the top 6 or so in the entire bloody country which is fairly impressive, but it's also not enough
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Digby wrote:
Spiffy wrote:

George
Cowan-Dickey
Ward
Dunn

Not sure about Ward, Taylor maybe. Still means he's in the top 6 or so in the entire bloody country which is fairly impressive, but it's also not enough
Agreed. Ward played very well yesterday but I’d actually prefer Elia Elia to start for Quins.

If Taylor can recover his pre-injury form, then he’s a contender for that list. I’d put Dunn on a par with Hartley rather than better.

Jack Singleton has really impressed me this season and while I wouldn’t regard him as ‘better than Hartley’ right now, he’s definitely one to watch for the future.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Scrumhead wrote:
Digby wrote:
Spiffy wrote:

George
Cowan-Dickey
Ward
Dunn

Agreed. Ward played very well yesterday but I’d actually prefer Elia Elia to start for Quins.

If Taylor can recover his pre-injury form, then he’s a contender for that list. I’d put Dunn on a par with Hartley rather than better.

Jack Singleton has really impressed me this season and while I wouldn’t regard him as ‘better than Hartley’ right now, he’s definitely one to watch for the future.
I'd still like to see more from Walker too, albeit I'm not sold at the moment he's going to push for test rugby
Warrior85

Post by Warrior85 »

I'd love to see a young hooker like Singleton as the 3rd hooker.

George to start and Cowan-Dickie on the bench!

As a Worcester fan, watching Will Spencer every week I can't believe he's not making the squads. The guy is class. Breaks the line every time, takes 2 players to bring him down most of the time and he is a wall in defence!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Warrior85 wrote:I'd love to see a young hooker like Singleton as the 3rd hooker.

As a Worcester fan, watching Will Spencer every week I can't believe he's not making the squads. The guy is class. Breaks the line every time, takes 2 players to bring him down most of the time and he is a wall in defence!
Welcome Warrior85!
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Warrior85 wrote:I'd love to see a young hooker like Singleton as the 3rd hooker.

Spencer does look good. In another era he would be capped for england for sure we are just over stocked at the moment in that position.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Agreed. He’s obviously on the radar as he was called up to the training squad prior to the Argentina tour. Apparently Borthwick had a 1-2-1 session with him recently too (I think I read that in today’s TRP?).
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

One thing that was really noticeable from The Big Game was how much of a difference Sinckler made to Quins attacking game.

In a similar way to Mako has been used for England at times, Sinckler was often taking the ball as first-receiver and freeing up Smith to play wider off quick ball. It worked really well and reminded me what a good player he can be when he doesn’t lose his head.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

He is a quality player. Exactly what england have been missing. Also I'm seeing that billy and maro are back for sarries next week.