EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Puja »

fivepointer wrote:"Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend believes it is a back-handed compliment to the burgeoning strength of rugby north of the border that England have moved to secure the services of two age-grade Scottish players - Newcastle flanker Gary Graham and the latest acquisition, Gloucester scrum-half Ben Vellacott, whom Townsend says will be named in England’s 2018 Six Nations squad on Thursday.
While there are no actual attributed quotes that see Townsend saying anything like that and so it's likely just a figment of the author's imagination, that's a really stupid thing to say. "It's a compliment to the growing strength of rugby north of the border that England are interested in two players whose development has been 100% south of it."

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
fivepointer wrote:"Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend believes it is a back-handed compliment to the burgeoning strength of rugby north of the border that England have moved to secure the services of two age-grade Scottish players - Newcastle flanker Gary Graham and the latest acquisition, Gloucester scrum-half Ben Vellacott, whom Townsend says will be named in England’s 2018 Six Nations squad on Thursday.
While there are no actual attributed quotes that see Townsend saying anything like that and so it's likely just a figment of the author's imagination, that's a really stupid thing to say. "It's a compliment to the growing strength of rugby north of the border that England are interested in two players whose development has been 100% south of it."

Puja
From The Times:
“It’s unusual that a country like England, with all its resources and players, has players who have played for Scotland age groups going into their squad,” Townsend said. “But it’s now the reality and it could be seen as a positive that our players are attracting interest outside of Scotland.”

Wikipedia have him being born in Stirling and playing for Gala 2012 - 15 before moving to Jersey. Looks like he lived in England but went through the SRU system before falling out the other side.
Claiming Vellacott as a Scottish product is very much wrong.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

I've only seen Vellacott for part of one game. That was not enough to make much of a judgement but I liked his attempt to supply ball as quickly and accurately as possible. Let's face it, the SH bar is not especially high for England and, especially not for Gloucester, with Heinz.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Maybe I’m just sensitive but there’s a strange vibe to this conversation. What Townsend said, rather than what Puja paraphrased, seems quite reasonable.

It’s absolutely fine he could want to play for either, but I’d say having been born in Scotland and going through Scotland age groups would have had some part in shaping his game/nationality, yes.

Either way he’s around 5th/6th choice for either team I'd have thought, if that.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Now that Eddie has extended to 2021, I can see Robson getting a bit depressed.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Raggs wrote:Now that Eddie has extended to 2021, I can see Robson getting a bit depressed.
Not the only one
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:Maybe I’m just sensitive but there’s a strange vibe to this conversation. What Townsend said, rather than what Puja paraphrased, seems quite reasonable.
As per usual, what Townsend said bore little resemblence to the headline or article, which was what I was responding to. As you said, what he said was reasonable, which was why I put the initial disclaimer in there.

I had also been under the impression that Graham had come through the Newcastle academy, so the fact that he came through a Scots one somewhat undermines my point anyway.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

p/d wrote:
Raggs wrote:Now that Eddie has extended to 2021, I can see Robson getting a bit depressed.
Not the only one
Still pining for Jimmy Mally?
p/d

Post by p/d »

Mellsblue wrote:
p/d wrote:
Not the only one
Still pining for Jimmy Mally?
If he called those sat on the bench ‘subs’ and selected Matty then I suppose so
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Raggs wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Is he even ahead of Heinz for Gloucester?
No. And that's not only because Heinz is captain. I've not seen a huge amount of him recently, but he does remind me of Robson. At the moment he's not got the game control he needs I believe, but that should come with time. Wouldn't start him at Glaws yet, but definitely good for time off the bench.
He has more variety than even Heinz :)
Greebo

Post by Greebo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42722330

James Haskell will miss England's opening two Six Nations games after being given a four-week ban for a dangerous tackle.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Greebo wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42722330

James Haskell will miss England's opening two Six Nations games after being given a four-week ban for a dangerous tackle.
Kinda pleased tbh, means Eddie will have to throw off a comfort blanket.

Unless he calls Wood up.
Greebo

Post by Greebo »

Banquo wrote:

Unless he calls Wood up.
So was I until you mentioned Wood!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Greebo wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Unless he calls Wood up.
So was I until you mentioned Wood!
:)
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

FFS, there's not need for that sort of language!
Digby

Post by Digby »

Even George Smith was thrown off his game by that
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Apparently Billy’s injury is not quite as bad as first feared, and much like last year could make it back for the last couple of rounds of games. Will be interesting to see what Eddie does if that is the case.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Harry Mallinder, Nathan Earle, Lewis Boyce, Alec Hepburn the leftfield picks. Zach Mercer no longer an apprentice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

No Vellacott.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mellsblue wrote:No Vellacott.
He’s training with the team apparently.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote:
Strange one. Why not just name him as an apprentice.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Poor old Beno, dumped after one session. Seems a tad harsh. Hepburn and Boyce are good players though. One will debut.
Mercer has graduated and fills one of the back row spots which is fair enough. Kruis is a bit lucky.
Mallinder is the pick that surprises me the most. In fairness, he has played well for Saints last couple of weeks but i didnt see this coming. Eddie obviously likes Earle and thinks some investment could pay off. Not sure why Te'o is named as he was about 6 weeks away from playing only a couple of weeks back.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

fivepointer wrote:Poor old Beno, dumped after one session. Seems a tad harsh. Hepburn and Boyce are good players though. One will debut.
Mercer has graduated and fills one of the back row spots which is fair enough. Kruis is a bit lucky.
Mallinder is the pick that surprises me the most. In fairness, he has played well for Saints last couple of weeks but i didnt see this coming. Eddie obviously likes Earle and thinks some investment could pay off. Not sure why Te'o is named as he was about 6 weeks away from playing only a couple of weeks back.
Obano is listed on the unavailable list, so presume injured. On Te’o, Eddie reckons he’ll be good to take full part in camp and ready for Italy.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Telegraph reporting that there is an unpublished 45 man EPS which Vellacott is in.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Telegraph reporting that there is an unpublished 45 man EPS which Vellacott is in.
Who are the unnamed 10?