EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Banquo

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Takes me back to a post match line by Barclay that the Scots hadn’t planned to compete so hard at the break down but after the way ol’ Nige reffed the first handful they changed tack. Yet there we were, as we were against Italy, bumbling around not able to fix the problem. Half of that is lack of mobility and half that is poor leadership on field, as the latter was against Italy. For all Hartley and Farrell are lauded as great leaders - and Farrell is often quoted as being an extra coach - there’s not much leadership on the field in the top two inches.
Nothing Scotland did could have surprised anyone who'd seen them or their franchises play. That's the worst thing- repeating myself, but if Scotland could have picked our team, tactics, and execution, what happened in the first half was it.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Has the lad with blue jeans noticed someone has pissed down his leg?
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I was honestly expecting some thing a lot worse than that when I read the headlines. Isn't eddie from a pretty tough part of Sydney? I would have thought that would be water of a ducks back.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Not watched it. Not planning to. But disappointing.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Digby wrote:Has the lad with blue jeans noticed someone has pissed down his leg?
and someone has stuck Ed Sheeran's pube trimmings to his chops
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The main protagonist looks suspiciously like Ben Stokes. I’m no fan of racial profiling but I will be giving pissed ginger people a wider berth than usual from now on, Julianne Moore aside.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Mellsblue wrote:The main protagonist looks suspiciously like Ben Stokes. I’m no fan of racial profiling but I will be giving pissed ginger people a wider berth than usual from now on, Julianne Moore aside.
she the one currently doing the advert for vaginal dryness? 'cause if so I would add that to your wide berth list
Digby

Post by Digby »

Is Julianne Moore well known as a drunk?
p/d

Post by p/d »

Digby wrote:Is Julianne Moore well known as a drunk?
I know she turned up to a fundraising event carrying a small wooden platform, which she duly positioned on the floor in front of the main table and began tap dancing
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote:
I know she turned up to a fundraising event carrying a small wooden platform, which she duly positioned on the floor in front of the main table and began tap dancing
obscure causes of vaginal dryness number 2
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

She would need to be to let me anywhere near her.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Chisholm is better than Mercer and should have his EPS spot.

Thoughts?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mikey Brown wrote:Chisholm is better than Mercer and should have his EPS spot.

Thoughts?
LOL. Immediately following this post Mercer puts in a blinding tackle to save a try. He’s considerably faster than Marcus Smith it seems, not sure who that reflects more upon.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Mikey Brown wrote:Chisholm is better than Mercer and should have his EPS spot.

Thoughts?

Fun fact. I only watch quins on and off and thought that "chisolm" was one player. In my head he was this incredible all rounder. :lol:
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

James Chisholm is a beast. If he keeps up this form, he’s definitely worth a look from England.
padprop

Post by padprop »

Anyone see Mercer chase down Marcus Smith, who had about 5 metres on him?

If it ever happened, I can't think of a faster backrow ever fielded than Mercer, Simmonds and Earl/Chisholm.
Stom

Post by Stom »

padprop wrote:Anyone see Mercer chase down Marcus Smith, who had about 5 metres on him?

If it ever happened, I can't think of a faster backrow ever fielded than Mercer, Simmonds and Earl/Chisholm.
I think it's more like evidence that for all his skill, Smith is still lacking physically. He's a kid. In 2 years time I think Smith would make that.
padprop

Post by padprop »

Stom wrote:
padprop wrote:Anyone see Mercer chase down Marcus Smith, who had about 5 metres on him?

I think it's more like evidence that for all his skill, Smith is still lacking physically. He's a kid. In 2 years time I think Smith would make that.
Mercer is only a year older and he's always looked rapid when I've seen him. I think it would be fair to say you have a bit of gas if you chase down fresh on the field fly half, being both flat-footed and 5 metres to make up. But also, probably came down to a contest of speed-endurance as opposed to all-out pace.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mercer owed Bath something after binning his own try scoring chance, and when the game was still alive. It was an impressive chase down though, also impressive was Faletau who probably covered even more ground.

I'm not sure whether Bath will be happy to have a 6 and 8 who could work that hard in the 80th minute, or whether they might think if the two of you had worked a little harder a little earlier (and you clearly had the energy) we might not have been in this situation.
Stom

Post by Stom »

padprop wrote:
Stom wrote:

Mercer is only a year older and he's always looked rapid when I've seen him. I think it would be fair to say you have a bit of gas if you chase down fresh on the field fly half, being both flat-footed and 5 metres to make up. But also, probably came down to a contest of speed-endurance as opposed to all-out pace.
18 months, older, but that's not the point, really. I imagine Mercer was a lot further along in his physical development at Smith's age. Smith seems like he needs a hell of a lot of conditioning work, for all the great stuff he does and all the promise he shows. Perhaps that's what Eddie is working on...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I assume that last name was meant to be Clifford. But yes, that would be quite something. I’d not seen Earl before. That try was pretty impressive.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Smith was being chased down by half the Bath team, albeit Mercer was the only one quite close enough to catch him. He looked shattered by the time he got caught too. I'd definitely agree with those suggesting physical development, as well as probably needing some sprint coaching. Wouldn't read too much into it though.
Digby

Post by Digby »

And it's harder to run with the ball, harder still when you're about the same size as the ball. The flailing left arm as Smith trotted down the pitch does also show there's lots of room for improving technique in addition to some sprint stamina work, though I mayn't worry too much about too much sprint stamina work given it's not a frequent demand on any player, and certainly not a 10
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Without watching the clip again, where was Smith's support? I just recall a number of Bath jerseys, and no Quins ones around him. Surely Wallace should have been on the wing waiting to support out wide?
Digby

Post by Digby »

I think it was Marchant alongside, or at least nearest to him who might have supported, and he jogged, which if nobody has told him is the sort of thing Eddie will notice. Then again it was the 80th minute, they'd won he game, there was no BP available, and why risk an injury to some extent?