EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:I'm on red alert
Can't carry on in that vein too long
Meh, I'm chilled out this afternoon listening to some old Pearl Jam, Evenflow as it happens
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Lawes and Hughes are out of the SA tour.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I see Polledri is playing for Italy.

I’m still sore about that one. I think he has it in him to become a top player.

He and Negri at 6 and 7 has the potential to be be a good Italian back row for years to come.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote:I see Polledri is playing for Italy.

He and Negri at 6 and 7 has the potential to be be a good Italian back row for years to come.
I am too- he looked to be the sort of 7 that England needed to at least look at.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

For those who are interested in that chart going around a while ago about minutes played by the various Lions; I put this together last night during insomnia.
Domestic rugby only; but all domestic rugby (the previous chart was only Prem / Pro14 / Top14 - this includes EPRC and AWC)
Coloured by where the player plays as I'm interested in that, so not just league, but not nationality either:
Depressingly, it's reminded me that the likes of Kristian Dacey, Cory Hill, Matt Stevens, Ugo Monye, Riki Flutey etc all get to call themselves Lions Tourists :(
Lions 2017.jpg
Lions 2013.jpg
Lions 2009.jpg
Last edited by Which Tyler on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

What’s the story with the colours? George North is debatable, but Liam Williams definitely isn’t English.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Which Tyler wrote: Coloured by where the player plays as I'm interested in that, so not just league, but not nationality either:
Northampton and London are both in England
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

OK. I get it now. Why is Ricky Flutey light blue though?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote:OK. I get it now. Why is Ricky Flutey light blue though?
vive la france, je pense
p/d

Post by p/d »

Amazed how much rugby Billy has played considering his injury breaks.

And then there is Warburton
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scrumhead wrote:OK. I get it now. Why is Ricky Flutey light blue though?
Much the same reason as Greig Laidlaw this season, or Sexton, Lydiate etc in 2013/14
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

It is a shame but he tied himself to Italy when he played against Wales and France in the JRWC in 14/15 as Italy, France and Wales's u20s are their designated second teams I think. Nothing Jones could do about that
Puja

Post by Puja »

Gloskarlos wrote:

It is a shame but he tied himself to Italy when he played against Wales and France in the JRWC in 14/15 as Italy, France and Wales's u20s are their designated second teams I think. Nothing Jones could do about that
And if he considers himself Italian, more power to him. I don't see the point in lamenting over Polledri - it's like saying we could've had North if we'd picked him first. Sometimes people want to play for the country they feel strongest for.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:

And if he considers himself Italian, more power to him. I don't see the point in lamenting over Polledri - it's like saying we could've had North if we'd picked him first. Sometimes people want to play for the country they feel strongest for.

Puja
I’m also quite happy to let Italy have some of our academy products. The stronger they are the better for the 6N and it’s constituent teams. Producing Moriaty and then losing him to Wales on the other hand......
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:

Puja
this explains Leicester's academy policy :)
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:

Puja
I’m also quite happy to let Italy have some of our academy products. The stronger they are the better for the 6N and it’s constituent teams. Producing Moriaty and then losing him to Wales on the other hand......
That one always interests me. Was he remotely on the England radar? He seems a bit limited but a real physical option and has looked great for Wales at times.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
That one always interests me. Was he remotely on the England radar? He seems a bit limited but a real physical option and has looked great for Wales at times.
Think he won (at worst came second) a Junior World Cup with us. I also think he was in the u20 World Cup squad two years running which normally indicates the player is highly thought of.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I don't think we've lost much with Polledri or Moriarty. Both powerful players, but we don't lack depth in that area tbh
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:I don't think we've lost much with Polledri or Moriarty. Both powerful players, but we don't lack depth in that area tbh
I was more impressed by Polledri than that- good hands, good over the ball, and good spatial awareness. I also wouldn't have minded Moriarty as an option at 6 as a ball carrier.

But all moot.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:I don't think we've lost much with Polledri or Moriarty. Both powerful players, but we don't lack depth in that area tbh
I was more impressed by Polledri than that- good hands, good over the ball, and good spatial awareness. I also wouldn't have minded Moriarty as an option at 6 as a ball carrier.

But all moot.
What Polledri has over all of the English back row at the moment is out and out pace. some of the lines he has taken to outpace backs and score for Glos this season have been fabulous. But like you say - moot point, I'm also glad he is turning out for Italy, following after his old man - I like that.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Gloskarlos wrote:
Banquo wrote:

But all moot.
What Polledri has over all of the English back row at the moment is out and out pace. some of the lines he has taken to outpace backs and score for Glos this season have been fabulous. But like you say - moot point, I'm also glad he is turning out for Italy, following after his old man - I like that.
He has more pace than Simmonds? That would be fast. Curry looks quick to me too
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Reckon he is faster than Curry, Simmonds might be similar, difficult to tell, I'm struggling to find videos of the tries he has scored and created this season. Here is one at least.

Digby

Post by Digby »

There's not a lot in that which would make me think he's as fast as Jacob Rowan, though he'd have a fair bit more bulk/power. That he's got both power and pace might see him stand out more than just the pace
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Owen Slot of the times posted an image of his article, showing just how massively Ford's individual attacking threat, and try assists have dropped since 2015. I've tried to point out that all those stats are not a condemnation of Ford's attacking threat, but rather the fact he's gone from a midfield of Burrell+JJ to one of Farrell+JJ. If the defence aren't interested in others, there's nowhere to go.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Digby wrote:There's not a lot in that which would make me think he's as fast as Jacob Rowan, though he'd have a fair bit more bulk/power. That he's got both power and pace might see him stand out more than just the pace
I've never seen Rowan accelerate like Polledri, not even close - but you are right it is the blend that catches the eye.