The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Cameo »

Strange game that. Gladgow were their own worst enemy with just way too many mistakes. Brown's overthrown lineout was bad and then there were a whole load of random knockons and missed tackles.

Frustrating as there was a lot of decent play in there. Horne and Russell went well and Gibbins was good but there just wasnt enough.

Big summer ahead. I think we really need Hastings to step up as Horne isnt a top 10. Also could do with people like Dunbar, Jones and Seymour getting back to full sharpness. The defence is the thing I am worried about really. Tackles and structure but also when one thing goes wrong we seem to compound it.

I like Scarlets though
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Glasgow turning into old Edinburgh. Coasting through the day job as if they don’t give a fvck because they’ve got better things to do.

That’s not a criticism. If anyone’s seen me at work, I have a very similar attitude so am not best-placed to have a go.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Donny osmond »

General Zod wrote:Glasgow turning into old Edinburgh. Coasting through the day job as if they don’t give a fvck because they’ve got better things to do.

That’s not a criticism. If anyone’s seen me at work, I have a very similar attitude so am not best-placed to have a go.
[emoji38] was thinking the same thing myself. About me, not you, never seen you at work.

Might be a bit harsh on Glasgow tho, they just seem to have lost the teamwork. I think losing Finn will do them good in the same way and for broadly the same reasons that losing Matawalu seemed to a couple of years ago. Being a genius maverick is all well and good but no one can be that succesfully every game. If Glasgow need to get some structure back, they need to lose the genius mavericks.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
whatisthejava

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by whatisthejava »

watching the highlights its just the story of Glasgow since the 6N, everyone looks tired and they just want the season to end.

I think Glasgow needs a decent defence coach and a good break, they started very strongly in the league but every time they needed to step up to the mark they failed the test.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Ian Morrison in the Scotsman today takes a swing and hits for a change.

I have been getting pretty frustrated over the last couple of seasons by Glasgow’s attempts to re-write the rules of modern NH rugby. Injuries may have played some part but we lack power athletes. Forwards, yes, but the backs too to some extent.

The same issue is evident under Toony at Scotland. We can get some good wins when it all goes right and Hogg, Jones etc turn it on, but 8 times out of 10 we will lose to the likes of Ireland who will just crush us on the gain line. I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again - the players are being deliberately conditioned that way. The Irish and Welsh do not have some genetic superiority.

Good to see the suggestion that Weeg have the cavalry lined up in the form of imports. Has been very quiet on the recruitment front. Given time of year must be SH types.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I'm hoping the power issue is on the way to being resolved a bit. Dunbar and Jones (assuming they get some form back) is not a small centre partnership and VDM will hopefully play a lot more than Sarto has (with Hughes to come back. In the forwards we need more coming in but even from the squad Kebble should help and Fagerson will get better and better. For both Scotland and Glasgow I think Swinson has to be gradually phased out.

Scotland wise I really hope Bradbury or Fagerson stand up this summer. Richie Gray should add more bulk and McInally helps in the front row.

They do have to be careful not to throw away the baby with the bath water though. I'm not up for picking big lumps if they can't keep up with a fast paced game as that is where our success has come. It's trying to combine the two that is key
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It’s interesting to think what balance of personnel, conditioning, tactics and mindset play in the lack of consistently powerful, aggressive line-breaking ability for both Scotland and Glasgow.

I love the look of Fagerson and Bradbury who are actually aggressive, neither are bulldozers but they seem to understand that momentum going into contact is pretty important. Same with Watson and McInally. If the bigger guys carried with their same ferocity that would really help.

Are the players simply not tuned to play like this for 80 minutes, what with wanting to play the fastest game in the world?

The Irish for example don’t seem particularly massive but seem to relish throwing themselves into contact.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

I hope to f*ck none of the Glasgow fans follow Russel's Instagram.

Showcasing his new Aston Martin on his Instagram story the day after the entire stole a wage and the punters money.
Wylie Coyote

Post by Wylie Coyote »

A few random thoughts:

Grigg is a great wee player for to use during the 6Ns and vs the lesser teams, but he is simply too small to step up vs the big boys. He misses far too many tackles which we tend to forgive him for since he is so small and committed. Very few of his breaks seems to end in actual scores and he does lose the ball in contact quite a bit too. He should not be anywhere close to the national setup.

Seymour is just a shadow of his former self. Not sure what has happened there. He seems utterly anonymous and when he does get the ball just falls over.

Jackson works at 15 when he is distributes to a back division of power, strike runners. In the current Glasgow back division where man for man they are are basically smaller and slower than their opponents his lack of real penetration and running threat from 15 make Glasgow pretty easy to defend against.

The forwards? Soft. Did they win one collision? Scarlets seemed to make very easy yards with simple direct running.

The backs? Disorganised in defence and lacking any threat other than George Horne who seems to have been Glasgow's only attacking option these last few months.

It frustrates me when folks blame Finn Russell, he certainly tried, but there was basically no threat outside him and limited carrying ability from the forwards too.

I make that 4 really poor games in a row to end the season, dismal.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Hard to argue with much of that. Grigg is great at hitting the line on a good angle, but looks kind of lost in basically any other situation that he has the ball.

Jackson is pretty flawed but seemed like one of the brighter points? He summed things up pretty well actually, putting in a heap of work, dancing round a few people and then flinging the ball away to the opposition.

Seymour has looked totally deflated since the lions. No idea if it’s coincidence, but it’s pretty much all I predicted any Scots to get from the Lions, along with the welsh players getting a mostly-unearned morale/confidence boost.

Russell is struggling in that the moment he gets the ball everyone kind of freezes and waits to see what he pulls out of the bag, so if it’s not bang on the money (a couple of dodgy kicks and the classic loopy pass to the wing) it really does stop everything dead. Not entirely his fault though.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Think I agree on Grigg. For big games I think he is a decent option off the bench but not a starter. We need more penetration in the centres otherwise it really is either one out to a forward or fling it to the wing with nothing in between
Big D

Post by Big D »

I think Seymour tailed off before the Lions tbh. The 1st set of games up to the AIs are huge for him after a summer off. The way things are going it's getting harder to justify him being in the Scotland 23 discussion.
Big D

Post by Big D »

See the pitch has left it's mark on the scarlets. Are those types of pitches not supposed to be watered regularly to prevent them drying out?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:See the pitch has left it's mark on the scarlets. Are those types of pitches not supposed to be watered regularly to prevent them drying out?
I think so.

Some of those burns are atrociously bad. Scarlets fully justified in having a moan about it.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

I noticed it when watching the game. The way the players behaved when hitting the ground seemed more extreme that I thought previously. Also there were a lot of balls lost in contact with the ground. Quite early on JG seemed to have a big graze on the knee. Never really fancied rugby on anything other than grass!
Adder

Post by Adder »

Big US number 8 signs for Glasgow, David Tameilau on a two-year contract.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:I hope to f*ck none of the Glasgow fans follow Russel's Instagram.

Showcasing his new Aston Martin on his Instagram story the day after the entire stole a wage and the punters money.
Is this the Vantage that Aston Martin Edinburgh lent him for a weekend as a publicity stunt?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Stones of granite wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:I hope to f*ck none of the Glasgow fans follow Russel's Instagram.

Is this the Vantage that Aston Martin Edinburgh lent him for a weekend as a publicity stunt?
Bragging about whizzing around in an Aston Martin the day after that performance is not OK regardless.

The same goes for the rest of the team posting pics/vids in the pub, etc.

Everyone deserves a life but posting that kind of stuff on social meedja the day after that performance is not clever.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Prison time?
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Stones of granite wrote:

Bragging about whizzing around in an Aston Martin the day after that performance is not OK regardless.

The same goes for the rest of the team posting pics/vids in the pub, etc.

Everyone deserves a life but posting that kind of stuff on social meedja the day after that performance is not clever.
Ah, the Wee Free approach.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Stones of granite wrote:

Probably following his contractual obligations then.

It doesn't bother me. If anyone is offended by that sort of thing then stop following them on social media.
Big D

Post by Big D »

So, any rumours yet of Weeg signings?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:So, any rumours yet of Weeg signings?
Bradbury is the only one I'm hearing about.

They don't seem to be in the market for a 10. Which is good news for Hastings but I think bad news for the fans expecting the team to kick on. I suspect the Weeg's peak was the year they won the league. They've been good since that but still a fair level below their peak.

The Cheetahs hooker declined Glasgow which likely means someone like Malcolm will be retained. Worlds apart quality wise. Looking like a very bleak window for them tbh.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Glasgow should really be kicking on but their forwards are becoming more and more passive.

Cant help but feel Rennie is looking to the next chapter instead of actually converting the forwrds into a real weapon again.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I was sort of expecting this window to be the moment Rennie really makes his mark with some decent signings.

The combination of the team and the coach should still be a draw for some big names at this point, but that won’t be the case forever surely.