EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Mellsblue

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mellsblue »

Farrell ain’t no maverick.

I think he’s playing as requested for England and it’s not getting the best out of him, or Joseph for that matter. I doubt Cips or anyone else would look any better. Unless, that is, they refused to play to plan, but they’d only be dropped if they did.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It wasn’t particularly meant to be a compliment. He is very erratic.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Erratic, yep. To me, a maverick is a bit of a loose cannon capable of moments of brilliance. Farrell is a loose cannon capable of moments of stupidity, or ‘test match animal’ as it is now termed.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I think Farrell is capable of fantastic moments, but people confuse those with his base level.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Hopefully not as bad as the headline suggests. They reckon he will possibly be back for the semi final in just over 2 weeks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ng-injury/
Puja

Post by Puja »

Squad for South Africa is apparently being named 10th May.

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Puja wrote:Squad for South Africa is apparently being named 10th May.

Puja

Well I fancy our chances of not picking up too many injuries in Europe after the announcement
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Ford is a great little fly half when in top form. But he has not progressed much in the last couple of seasons. I would agree with those who claim his natural skills are being throttled by the England game plan and by having Farrell at 12. He has become conservative, dull and safe compared with his former self. Meanwhile, a couple of talented kids who look as though they really enjoy playing, Joe Simmonds and Marcus Smith, are lighting up the PL. (Smith would look even better in a half-decent team.)
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

He played brilliantly in the last game against sale.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Jones says there will be a attack coach on tour; though, not necessarily a permanent one. There are also a ‘couple of other options’ for the captaincy other than Farrell.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I have no problems with giving cips a run. We thought we were sorted at 8 and look at us now. If it keeps him in the country and makes ford up his game and play like he did against sale.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

morepork

Post by morepork »

Please tell me there are matching pants.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

More like YES GEOFF. Feinted to go with his right foot to draw the man and instead put the grubber through with his left, whilst fully committing his man, at the perfect weight for his teammate to collect.
Digby

Post by Digby »

A god awful kick, but perhaps the ref could have let that play out a little
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Willis is out for 9-12 months. May not even make the world cup. Fuck me that is depressing. Can't see that injury happening on grass.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

twitchy wrote:Willis is out for 9-12 months. May not even make the world cup. Fuck me that is depressing. Can't see that injury happening on grass.
It seems there's more and more injuries that wouldn't happen on grass (or Desai) pitches, and most teams seem tonnage a player or two who just don't play on (full) plastic.
Surely it's time for a review to assess their suitability? We simply have more information than we did when they were given the green light.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I would like to say again we shouldn't allow tackles that target the knee. In this instance there was a lineout a few minutes before where Willis came down mostly on his right leg, and I did wonder if he'd jarred something then, but we still shouldn't allow the knees to be a target
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

twitchy wrote:Willis is out for 9-12 months. May not even make the world cup. Fuck me that is depressing. Can't see that injury happening on grass.
That's fucking shitty for him. Gutted. It's incredibly early in his career but I can't help but think how long-term injuries derailed Cipriani, Slade and a few others right at the cusp of England selection.

Also have you seen this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44208535 John Barclay simply turned to make a pass, not a player within 5 metres of him, and gubbed his achilles in the process. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44183147

I don't know much about these pitches but it definitely seems like something to look at.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Terrible news. Should’ve seen it coming really. He’s not the messiah, he’s a very injured boy.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Awful. Absolutely gutted for the lad.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Crying shame. Poor sod. Hope he makes a swift recovery.

Puja
Backist Monk
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

+1 to all of that. He was on the verge of making an important breakthrough on the international stage IMO. You've just got to hope he comes back fully recovered, although you do wonder.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Digby wrote:I would like to say again we shouldn't allow tackles that target the knee. In this instance there was a lineout a few minutes before where Willis came down mostly on his right leg, and I did wonder if he'd jarred something then, but we still shouldn't allow the knees to be a target
If you tackle in the traditional way - around the legs - it's practically impossible to avoid the knees. A law forbidding it would be difficult to enforce. Cruel luck for young Willis, who looked as though he could play himself on to the test team.