EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Epaminondas Pules

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Banquo wrote:
fivepointer wrote:The incidence of injuries with England does seem to be unnaturally high.
Injuries can and will happen at any time of course, but it does look like the casualty rate in England camp needs looking at.
I cannot recall many injuries while Burt or Jonno were in charge.
Not sure its Eddie per se, we just flog our players- Eddie is just the cherry on top, as it were. Redpath and Willis were injured with their clubs.
Redpath was in training at Sale when he did his ACL. It happens and yes the level of flogging raises the risk.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Banquo wrote:
fivepointer wrote:The incidence of injuries with England does seem to be unnaturally high.
Injuries can and will happen at any time of course, but it does look like the casualty rate in England camp needs looking at.
I cannot recall many injuries while Burt or Jonno were in charge.
Not sure its Eddie per se, we just flog our players- Eddie is just the cherry on top, as it were. Redpath and Willis were injured with their clubs.
Redpath was in training at Sale when he did his ACL. It happens and yes the level of flogging raises the risk.
Indeed :)
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:All the candidates for the defence coach position are English. According to Jones anyway. So, expect an Aussie to be appointed.
I've heard Joe Worsley's name being bandied about the rumour mill. Anyone know how he's been getting on in France?

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Very well thought of, would probably be my first choice TBH; if we're limiting it to Englishmen.
If we want someone who's going to encourage co letting at the breakdown, then we need someone from outside the Prem, whilst Worsle is out there in France building himself a good reputation from what I can tell.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Hepburn called up to replace Genge and, possibly and worryingly, Mako.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Mellsblue wrote:Hepburn called up to replace Genge and, possibly and worryingly, Mako.
Mako heading home for personal reasons - supppposedly agreed before the tour…
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Billy going home too. Refractured his arm yesterday.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Any news on Simmonds injury?

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:Billy going home too. Refractured his arm yesterday.
crap. He might take a long time to sort that out- nearly ended Gronkowski's career in the NFL.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Billy going home too. Refractured his arm yesterday.
crap. He might take a long time to sort that out- nearly ended Gronkowski's career in the NFL.
Any re-fracture is down to insufficient healing, surely? Properly healed the area should be stronger as I understand it. Of course, it might not be broken on the original fracture line but 're-fracture' (as reported) makes it sound like it is.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

My understanding is that once an area has broken/fractured it’ll always be an area of weakness. Quite common for contact sport athletes to break the same arm in the same place more than once.

Mike Williams broke the same forearm 3 times, Ben Te’o has done his forearm 3 times over his career. Just bad luck.
pandion

Post by pandion »

Timbo wrote:My understanding is that once an area has broken/fractured it’ll always be an area of weakness. Quite common for contact sport athletes to break the same arm in the same place more than once.

Mike Williams broke the same forearm 3 times, Ben Te’o has done his forearm 3 times over his career. Just bad luck.
Is there a reason they can't plate it?
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

pandion wrote:
Timbo wrote:My understanding is that once an area has broken/fractured it’ll always be an area of weakness. Quite common for contact sport athletes to break the same arm in the same place more than once.

Is there a reason they can't plate it?
Not sure. Different surgeons have different techniques possibly? Maybe first time they like to let it heal naturally?

I would imagine there are pro’s and cons to plate/non plate.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Happy to stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mr and Mrs Vunipola have had a baby boy. See you all here in 22 years to discuss how Jacob Vunipola is playing on the 2040 summer tour.

As an aside, Mako is punching well above his weight.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:Mr and Mrs Vunipola have had a baby boy. See you all here in 22 years to discuss how Jacob Vunipola is playing on the 2040 summer tour.

As an aside, Mako is punching well above his weight.
Maybe make him a hooker?

Mulipola, Vunipola, Mulipola?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Why are so many people excited about Ashton in terms of England? He's not any better than he was, I'd be fairly sure of that. He can get on the end of linebreaks to run in tries, but England create very few breaks, and half of them come from the wingers anyway. As for fullback, he's had some nightmares there I believe, and his defence isn't going to have improved in France.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Raggs wrote:Why are so many people excited about Ashton in terms of England? He's not any better than he was, I'd be fairly sure of that. He can get on the end of linebreaks to run in tries, but England create very few breaks, and half of them come from the wingers anyway. As for fullback, he's had some nightmares there I believe, and his defence isn't going to have improved in France.
Who's excited about Ashton? The press? The same press who think Farrell is the messiah and not a naughty boy?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Stom wrote:
Raggs wrote:Why are so many people excited about Ashton in terms of England? He's not any better than he was, I'd be fairly sure of that. He can get on the end of linebreaks to run in tries, but England create very few breaks, and half of them come from the wingers anyway. As for fullback, he's had some nightmares there I believe, and his defence isn't going to have improved in France.
Who's excited about Ashton? The press? The same press who think Farrell is the messiah and not a naughty boy?
Not just the press, a number of posters on other forums. This forum (at least in my mind) seems to make smarter decisions, or at least it's more of an echo chamber for me, but those same people I'm sure were happy to see the back of Ashton in an England shirt.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Raggs wrote:
Stom wrote:
Not just the press, a number of posters on other forums. This forum (at least in my mind) seems to make smarter decisions, or at least it's more of an echo chamber for me, but those same people I'm sure were happy to see the back of Ashton in an England shirt.
People can be blind to all-round games. They see he's scoring tries and they see he scored a hattrick against England, and they hear Stuart Barnes saying how well he's done in France...and they think he's great again.

Of course, the truth is that he's probably just a slower, fatter Drunkie Denny.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I still have a great deal of respect for Ashton for keeping his fists down, and his head up when Manu was throwing haymakers at him - great discipline there
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aye. I always thought that was impressive too. There's a lot of valid reasons to take the piss out of him, but he actually seems a really decent guy when you hear him speak. He just has moments where his panic (in defence) or showboating (in attack) make him look like a real dick.

I probably wouldn't pick look at him for England again though.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I always thought Ashton often irritated people because he was northern and had the temerity to show he was enjoying himself through his swan dive.

I've also not seen anyone getting excited at his return but it surely can't be a bad thing to have eligible for selection again. England have better these days but who knows about the vagaries of form and injury.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

I'd be properly surprised if he was considered for Eng selection again, mainly due to the fact that he can no longer outpace George Ford, which I'd have thought would be an absolute min starting point for a school winger never mind an international. I never considered him rapid, his point of difference has always been his ability to be in the right place at the right time in attack. His partnership with Foden for Sale and (too briefly) Eng was terrific to watch til they parted ways to both their detriment. He still has that sniffing ability, but at reduced pace it's not much use given his other flaws. We've moved on haven't we?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

TBH - If Ashton can learn FB play; he could be a decent option there - he's always been at his best tracking play and inserting himself at the right place at the right time - which he can do far better from FB.
However, he's always been at his worse in head-on tackling, defensive positioning and line-clearing with the boot - which are all rather important aspects of FB play...

Besides, Sale's first XV look dangerous; but any opposition is going to love the idea of attacking Solomona&Ashton at wing&FB (and dread the idea of defending them)