EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Puja »

Timbo wrote:I feel a bit like Comical Ali sometimes with the injury stuff, as i’m habitually more optimistic than the board consensus...BUT the injury situation is never as bad as feared when we get round to an AI series or 6N’s etc. Likes of Billy and Manu very frustrating as they’re X factor players, but generally we’ve not been in bad shape over the last few years. Also, I find the reporting on England players’ injuries to be pretty disingenuous, ruling players out of games very prematurely. Makes better headlines I guess.

Local Bath press saying Joseph expecting to be back in October by the way. Case in point.
Local Bath press don't know their arsehole from their earhole at the best of times. Todd Blackadder said the other day that Joseph's injury is taking longer than expected and he would be December at the earliest.

Puja
Backist Monk
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Puja wrote:
Timbo wrote:I feel a bit like Comical Ali sometimes with the injury stuff, as i’m habitually more optimistic than the board consensus...BUT the injury situation is never as bad as feared when we get round to an AI series or 6N’s etc. Likes of Billy and Manu very frustrating as they’re X factor players, but generally we’ve not been in bad shape over the last few years. Also, I find the reporting on England players’ injuries to be pretty disingenuous, ruling players out of games very prematurely. Makes better headlines I guess.

Local Bath press saying Joseph expecting to be back in October by the way. Case in point.
Local Bath press don't know their arsehole from their earhole at the best of times. Todd Blackadder said the other day that Joseph's injury is taking longer than expected and he would be December at the earliest.

Puja
Ok, well I disagree. I’ve followed Dan Evans, the local rugby guy, on Twitter for quite a while now. He has great access, good contacts and posts plenty of informative content.

He’s the bloke all the Nationals are getting their quotes and info from. They’ve just chosen to put their own negative slant on things. He quotes Blackadder from yesterday as saying “JJ is still on target” and that he’ll certainly be back this side of Christmas. The article then says that Joseph himself expects to be back in October.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Timbo wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Ok, well I disagree. I’ve followed Dan Evans, the local rugby guy, on Twitter for quite a while now. He has great access, good contacts and posts plenty of informative content.

He’s the bloke all the Nationals are getting their quotes and info from. They’ve just chosen to put their own negative slant on things. He quotes Blackadder from yesterday as saying “JJ is still on target” and that he’ll certainly be back this side of Christmas. The article then says that Joseph himself expects to be back in October.
Apologies - I thought by Bath press you meant the Chronicle and Somerset Live.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:And Joseph is confirmed as being out for the AIs. Marvellous.

Puja
This just popped up on my twitter. Perfect.

Digby

Post by Digby »

Commendable silence from Eddie around Bath injuring his players
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Cips arrested and charged by police in Jersey, not sure what about just yet...
Puja

Post by Puja »

Gloucester statement:
"Gloucester Rugby are very aware of an incident involving Danny Cipriani in the early hours of Wednesday morning following an incident at a St Helier nightclub. He was arrested and has since been charged."
Well, they sound pleased. You did know he was a scorpion when you picked him up Glaws...

ETA. The Sun reckon he was charged with common assault, larceny, resisting arrest and being disorderly on licenced premises. No wonder Glaws are peeved.

Puja
Backist Monk
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Seeing assault on a police officer in there too, but that might just be mixed up with the resisting arrest bit.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

10 shirt and vice-captaincy now assured. What a knob. Anybody know Booj’s whereabouts?
Danno

Post by Danno »

He's extremely effective at shitting the bed just after finding himself in England's plans
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

There goes his England chances if found guilty.

Wouldn't be surprise if he looks to France ASAP.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

twitchy wrote:Good news doesn't stop coming.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Game time to be reduced to 30 games from 32.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... mes-season
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:Game time to be reduced to 30 games from 32.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... mes-season
That actually is good news. It's not perfect, but it is better.

Strikes me that a sensible solution to one of the issues raised is to treat the summer window as the start of the next season, not the end of the last. That way anyone who plays in the July internationals starts the season with those games and minutes on their record and needing to be taken into account for the next season, rather than players being played up to the limit because clubs "didn't know" they'd be selected.

Puja
Backist Monk
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

I reckon a few English internationals will be on the move after this season then.

Especially among the teams with the smaller squads.
Exeter have three internationals who will be wanting wage increase end of season and these extra missed games will have to be factored into it.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Going back to a recent comment somewhere on whether Chris Ashton is left or right footed (and someone kindly noted he's right footed) I'd wondered if he might be left footed as he might be left handed
And we've just seen more evidence he might be left handed as in pre season for Sale there was some minor pushing and holding at a ruck in response to which Ashton bravely punched the opposition player next to him and did so with his left hand. Okay he happened to punch the opposition 9, but I'm sure he'd have taken on whoever

Ashton will surely face some sort of ban, and most likely an RFU enquiry for bringing the game into disregard, the RFU now being keen to get involved and no doubt wanting to be consistent
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Much like the Cipriani situation I thought this was his career over before really even getting it going again, but it turns out it was only Rory Kockott that he punched. A lot of fuss over nothing.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Digby wrote:Going back to a recent comment somewhere on whether Chris Ashton is left or right footed (and someone kindly noted he's right footed) I'd wondered if he might be left footed as he might be left handed
And we've just seen more evidence he might be left handed as in pre season for Sale there was some minor pushing and holding at a ruck in response to which Ashton bravely punched the opposition player next to him and did so with his left hand. Okay he happened to punch the opposition 9, but I'm sure he'd have taken on whoever

Ashton will surely face some sort of ban, and most likely an RFU enquiry for bringing the game into disregard, the RFU now being keen to get involved and no doubt wanting to be consistent
I believe Ashton already knows all about the RFU being fair and consistent with their disciplinary process and definitely not arbitrarily banning players depending on what's been in the news recently.

Puja
Backist Monk
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

How does the 30 day limit actually work?

With the last games of the season likely being the summer tour - is there a likelihood that England won't have access to certain players for them?

Can a player tell his club he wants to sit out of games because he'd prefer international experience? What about loss of earnings?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

How many games do some players get to before the summer? What happens if you make playoffs? 22 AP games, 6 Euros, only leaves 2 spare games, but 5? potential playoff games in just the league.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Raggs wrote:How many games do some players get to before the summer? What happens if you make playoffs? 22 AP games, 6 Euros, only leaves 2 spare games, but 5? potential playoff games in just the league.
Then you should have rotated the squad more - which is the point.
If you insisted that your star player started in all 4 matches against the 2 relegation candidates; and therefore you can't play them for the SF and F in Europe and Prem - then you can't play them in the SF and F for Europe and the Prem.
FTR, I did put this together back in May; so the numbers of matches actually played a part in - doesn't include internationals; I don't think it included Prem KO matches; but does include European finals.
https://www.therugbyforum.com/attachmen ... -jpg.5895/
Last edited by Which Tyler on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Which Tyler wrote:
Raggs wrote:How many games do some players get to before the summer? What happens if you make playoffs? 22 AP games, 6 Euros, only leaves 2 spare games, but 5? potential playoff games in just the league.
Oh I agree, I'm just wondering if a club plays a player 30 times, and the 31st game is the Euro Final, is the player going to say "No thanks, I've hit my limit..." Or if it's an England player, who's going to refuse £22k?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Raggs wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:
Oh I agree, I'm just wondering if a club plays a player 30 times, and the 31st game is the Euro Final, is the player going to say "No thanks, I've hit my limit..." Or if it's an England player, who's going to refuse £22k?
It won't (shouldn't) be up to the player - they need protecting from themselves.
If the player's played 30 matches already, then they would be unavailable for selection
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Is it enforced/taken out of the players hands though?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

We don't know yet - but it should or the entire thing is a waste of time.
In any other match, if you play someone who's not eligible, then you typically forfeit the match.

ETA: Image above not wanting to embed for some reason, so I've made it clickable.