EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Mellsblue

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mellsblue »

Tigersman wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Tigersman wrote:
though would you be able to trust Cips with the kicking with no Farrell?

I guess Daly could do the kicking.
Cipriani’s kicking % was higher than Farrell’s last season (as was Ford’s).
How many kicks did Cips do?
39. How many did Daly take?
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

If I had to rely on Farrell or Cipriani to win at the death, whilst 2 points behind… I'd back Farrell to get us a kick

If I had to rely on Farrell or Cipriani to win at the death, whilst 4 points behind… I'd back Farrell to do feck all
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:
Tigersman wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Cipriani’s kicking % was higher than Farrell’s last season (as was Ford’s).
How many kicks did Cips do?
39. How many did Daly take?
A lot less than Gopperth...
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I’m not surprised by the strange selections ... it’s par for the course.

The Cipriani omission is predictable and clearly isn’t based on form. Total BS.

I really don’t understand the point of selecting Shields. Surely his cheekbone injury means he’ll be unable to take part in any contact training?

Sinckler and Ashton haven’t played yet this season and Brown has played once.

I’m disappointed that Sam Simmonds hasn’t been included but I’m amazed Underhill’s been left out. Putting to one side the fact that he’s a favourite of Eddie’s, he’s also shown much better form and a lot more in attack than he ever did when he was getting picked.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Tigersman wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: If you really want to know if Farrell is a better game manager than Ford, judge Farrell on his performance at 10 v Ireland* dealing with crap Ford has to deal with, and with the advantage of having a real 12 outside him. Don’t judge him on the armchair ride he gets at Saracens.

He was rubbish.

Valid point that I accept. I'd cheerfully drop Farrell completely and allow Ford and Cipriani to battle over the shirt. You and I both know Jones will never leave Farrell out of the XV. My comments allow for that.

Based purely on current form, the guy keeping Cipiani away from the kicking tee at Gloucester should be in the training squad anyway. T'eo, Francis? I'd take 36 ahead of either.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Peat wrote:I am officially resigning my willingness to extend faith to Jones is he is going to persist in believing Ashton is worthy of an England slot.
Balls.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote:
Tigersman wrote:
Oakboy wrote:

Valid point that I accept. I'd cheerfully drop Farrell completely and allow Ford and Cipriani to battle over the shirt. You and I both know Jones will never leave Farrell out of the XV. My comments allow for that.

Based purely on current form, the guy keeping Cipiani away from the kicking tee at Gloucester should be in the training squad anyway. T'eo, Francis? I'd take 36 ahead of either.
There is a fairly decent argument that he should be given another chance - his kicking percentage is currently ridiculous, his defence looks tight and I don't think he's made a ridiculous mistake so far this season. I don't think I'm quite at the stage where I would give him another chance, given that looking good short-term and lulling you into a false sense of security before utterly shitting the bed is kind of 12T's thing, but I'd certainly have him ahead of Te'o.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Tigersman wrote:

There is a fairly decent argument that he should be given another chance - his kicking percentage is currently ridiculous, his defence looks tight and I don't think he's made a ridiculous mistake so far this season. I don't think I'm quite at the stage where I would give him another chance, given that looking good short-term and lulling you into a false sense of security before utterly shitting the bed is kind of 12T's thing, but I'd certainly have him ahead of Te'o.

Puja
I was thinking that whilst watching Bath v Glos and as soon as I thought ‘he’s finally put it all together, he chucked a left to right to soom random spot on the floor. Then again Farrell regularly does the same....
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

morepork wrote:Muhahahahaha. The Jones curse.

That team is built around Farrell. You know exactly what the bench is going to bring, and that is a big dumptruck at 12 and/or 13, with Ford off at about the 50 minute mark. You have the single genuine open side. You know what made Eddie look good at the Brumbies back in the day? George Smith, that's what.
Reckon we can get him in the 7s and qualify on residency or something? He's been hanging around England enough, right?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Mikey Brown wrote:
morepork wrote:Muhahahahaha. The Jones curse.

That team is built around Farrell. You know exactly what the bench is going to bring, and that is a big dumptruck at 12 and/or 13, with Ford off at about the 50 minute mark. You have the single genuine open side. You know what made Eddie look good at the Brumbies back in the day? George Smith, that's what.
Reckon we can get him in the 7s and qualify on residency or something? He's been hanging around England enough, right?
Fucker is about 90 years old. Plus, he lost his POWERS when he cut off the dreads.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

From the BBC:
‘Danny Cipriani's form has not merited a call-up to the latest England training squad, says head coach Eddie Jones.

The Gloucester fly-half started England's last Test, the 25-10 victory over South Africa in Cape Town, and has excelled for his club this season.

But Jones says the performances of Leicester's George Ford have been better than Cipriani's.

"At this stage Danny is not in the top two stand-offs," Jones told BBC Sport.

Owen Farrell is the other fly-half option in the 36-man squad for a three-day camp in Bristol, with Jones hinting the Saracens man could play more at number 10 in the future.

"There is a possibility we will play him more at 10. That could be the best direction for the team," Jones said.‘

Looks like we’re going Farrell - big bloke - playmaker.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Jesus wept.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

After last season's 6 Nations debacle, I rapidly began to lose faith in Jones. Then came the series defeat in SA (the one shining light being Cipriani - which has now been extinguished), and now with the strange selections for the AIs squad, I reckon that by the beginning of this season's 6N, all hope of a strong England team will have disappeared completely.
I despair.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I’m not sure Cipriani did enough in his one game in SA to be regarded as a ‘shining light’. But for the moment of magic to set up May’s try, he was fairly subdued.

How Eddie can possibly justify not picking him on form is just ludicrous though.

These training squads are something and nothing, but the AIs are a different matter entirely and if he screws up the selection, there’s a very real chance that he signs his own death warrant before the 6 Nations.

We have SA and NZ up first. Lose both of those and the pressure on him will be through the roof.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Just had a horrible realisation that we could have 10. Farrell 12. Tuilagi and all the defensive composure that brings. Slade will be stood there watching them randomly shooting out the line wondering why he bothered.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ddie-jones

"Reading between the lines, with Leicester’s Manu Tuilagi rushed back into the squad with conspicuous haste, and Worcester’s Ben Te’o named despite not having played in the Premiership this season, Jones may yet go for the alternative option of naming both his power-runners in the centre, switching Farrell to 10 and inviting Ford to slice and dice tiring defences later on".
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mellsblue wrote:Just had a horrible realisation that we could have 10. Farrell 12. Tuilagi and all the defensive composure that brings. Slade will be stood there watching them randomly shooting out the line wondering why he bothered.

Quite, and I bet the likes of Guscott would find a way to blame Slade for the defensive weakness.

Mind you, I think Jones is lining up to go one stage further. I can see Farrell, T'eo and Tuilagi being his ideal trio.

Typing this only to find 5p beat me to it!
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Sarries played Rhodes at 7 last weekend too. Hopefully Eddie didn’t see that ... :?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

What an awful start to the day. Thank goodness it’s nearly the weekend.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

I wonder if we'll see Cipriani taking the kicking duties on Sunday - it could be as simple as he isn't kicking, so he isn't being considered

I really can't imagine what else EJ would be expecting of him

---

Personally, I'd be happier EJ trying Farrell — Te'o — Tuilagi, then continuing with no good carriers, and Farrell at 12…

I'd much prefer this with Cipriani or Ford, as I feel they would be able to mix play up a bit more
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Scrumhead wrote:I’m not sure Cipriani did enough in his one game in SA to be regarded as a ‘shining light’. But for the moment of magic to set up May’s try, he was fairly subdued.

How Eddie can possibly justify not picking him on form is just ludicrous though.

These training squads are something and nothing, but the AIs are a different matter entirely and if he screws up the selection, there’s a very real chance that he signs his own death warrant before the 6 Nations.

We have SA and NZ up first. Lose both of those and the pressure on him will be through the roof.
Ok, « shining light » may be exaggerating a bit but he was without doubt the catalyst that spurred England to victory that day, and his form this season doesn’t warrant exclusion from the squad.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

It all adds up.
Only 2 FH's named, so Eddie sees Faz as a no 10. No room for Cips as 3rd choice.
He still retains Te'o despite no game time and rushes Manu back in on some pretty sketchy form.
There's no Marchant and Loz isnt going to be a starter. Slade can cover from the bench.
The fact that Rhodes can (miraculously) play 7 is a bonus and clinches his call up over other players who can........ also be flexible. But no matter, Rhodes can vye with Curry for the 7 shirt, hence no Underhill. You also have the option of Robshaw at 7 as Shields is almost certainly penned in for the 6 shirt.
Its all coming together.....
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue wrote:From the BBC:
‘Danny Cipriani's form has not merited a call-up to the latest England training squad, says head coach Eddie Jones.

The Gloucester fly-half started England's last Test, the 25-10 victory over South Africa in Cape Town, and has excelled for his club this season.

But Jones says the performances of Leicester's George Ford have been better than Cipriani's.

"At this stage Danny is not in the top two stand-offs," Jones told BBC Sport.

Owen Farrell is the other fly-half option
in the 36-man squad for a three-day camp in Bristol, with Jones hinting the Saracens man could play more at number 10 in the future.

"There is a possibility we will play him more at 10. That could be the best direction for the team," Jones said.‘

Looks like we’re going Farrell - big bloke - playmaker.
Brilliant.

"George has edged out Danny, form-wise, but it literally doesn't matter how Owen plays."
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Are we all ready for this?

6. Shields
7. Rhodes
8. Hughes - Billy breaks his arm again

9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Brown
12. Teo
13. Tuilagi
14. Ashton
15. Nowell - Daly gets injured and EJ is too stubborn to move me to the back.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

You know what? I'm actually cheering up a bit now I've read the last few posts. It's all kind of coming together in a morbid fascination kind of way, bit like wondering wtf was gonna happen when Trump actually got elected.

In other news, what happened to Banquo? I didn't get the memo.