EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Stom

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
The truth on England under Eddie will come out in the end.
It’s a book I will certainly be buying!
Jones seems to be walking down an ever-narrowing tunnel of his own design. At the end there are two doors, one marked 'RWC Winner' and the other marked 'Failure'. There is nothing in between.
Well, I think that was the case from the start...
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Too many doubts seem to be creeping into Eddie Jones' tenure and if the results of the Autumn Internationals turn out to be disappointing, I wouldn't be sad to see the back of him even though the World Cup is looming.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: It’s a book I will certainly be buying!
Jones seems to be walking down an ever-narrowing tunnel of his own design. At the end there are two doors, one marked 'RWC Winner' and the other marked 'Failure'. There is nothing in between.
and for anyone in the top 6/7.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Wisemantel said: "Danny's not here but he's still in the mix. We only needed two fly-halves as it's a short camp. By no means is Danny scrapped.

Not wholly convincing but whatever.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

We called up excessive numbers elsewhere, and we'll most likely be running Farrell at 12, we have a new defence coach, with a new philosophy, but we just didn't need him this time...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I guess the focus will be on the 35 blindsides in the squad.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

francoisfou wrote:Too many doubts seem to be creeping into Eddie Jones' tenure and if the results of the Autumn Internationals turn out to be disappointing, I wouldn't be sad to see the back of him even though the World Cup is looming.

What exactly is expected of this group of england players for this wc? I think it would be pointless sacking him at this stage.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Others have failed to win the RWC but have taken the game forward arguably - or the style, or the set-up, or the facilities, or the staff etc. Maybe, you knew Jones better than me. I expected some sort of developmental progress to justify the calls for 'an experienced international coach' - never my preference.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

twitchy wrote:
francoisfou wrote:Too many doubts seem to be creeping into Eddie Jones' tenure and if the results of the Autumn Internationals turn out to be disappointing, I wouldn't be sad to see the back of him even though the World Cup is looming.

What exactly is expected of this group of england players for this wc? I think it would be pointless sacking him at this stage.
And, how differently will that question be answered now, compared with before Jones's appointment? In other words, has he made any long-term progress?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

You could argue he’s blooded a lot of young players who now have a decent amount of caps under his tenure, but I would imagine most coaches would have picked the likes of Itoje given the chance.

As far as advancing our style of play, I don’t think he’s done that at all.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:
Others have failed to win the RWC but have taken the game forward arguably - or the style, or the set-up, or the facilities, or the staff etc. Maybe, you knew Jones better than me. I expected some sort of developmental progress to justify the calls for 'an experienced international coach' - never my preference.
IIRC, his remit was to win the RWC and bring through English coaches. Well, Gustard has become a DoR, which should be helpful to him in the long run, while Borthwick is getting experience.

We can't judge the WC until the WC, though.
Puja

Post by Puja »

In terms of replacements having to have international experience, I've noticed Rowntree is off to coach the Georgian forwards for the next year.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Teague is Head Coach at Bordeaux (I think it’s Bordeaux). Vesty has had a promotion since being in camp. It’s a veritable hothouse of coaching talent.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Fair point on the coaches.

I think it’s easy to make Eddie a villain. He’s not. On the whole, considering that it’s a results business, he’s done a very reasonable job. I just can’t help feeling that he shot his bolt too early and is now on the downward curve at absolutely the wrong time and all his worst traits are coming out.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Scrumhead wrote:Fair point on the coaches.

I think it’s easy to make Eddie a villain. He’s not. On the whole, considering that it’s a results business, he’s done a very reasonable job. I just can’t help feeling that he shot his bolt too early and is now on the downward curve at absolutely the wrong time and all his worst traits are coming out.
This hits the nail on the head, and if this downward spiral continues, England's chances of winning the World Cup will have well and truly evaporated.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Really bad news for exe. Simmonds/Hill.

https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/chi ... njury-blow

"Hopefully, they will be back before the end of the season, but I can't really say at this stage.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

That’s rubbish news for Exeter and my fantasy league team. If Baxter is talking about ‘maybe seeing them before the end of the season’ that suggests two pretty long term injuries ...
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

But he also says this; “They're both good players and both have a significant part to play in the rest of the season. It's a long old season and it'll be amazing how quick they'll be back in the Exeter shirt."

Think the “hopefully back before end of season” quote was a bit tongue in cheek.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

If Hughes and Billy are fit he wouldn’t be in the squad any way.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Our back row players seem unusually susceptible to ACL injuries.

It’s a nasty one for Simmonds in particular given that a big part of his game is explosive acceleration.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Simmonds is completely integral to exe's game plan and a pretty unique player. If it wasn't obvious that sarries were winning the prem it is now.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

They're lucky Ewers is back at least and Armand can shift over to 8 but you're right, he's just not the same sort of player. It will be interesting to see if Kvesic is asked to take on any of those things that Simmonds did so well.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Cips prem player of the month.

EJ- "........"
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mikey Brown wrote:They're lucky Ewers is back at least and Armand can shift over to 8 but you're right, he's just not the same sort of player. It will be interesting to see if Kvesic is asked to take on any of those things that Simmonds did so well.
Yeah - I’m thinking along similar lines. Kvesic played at 8 quite a bit in the A league last season.

From an England POV it’s annoying but doesn’t have the same effect as Simmonds was only really on the periphery. Probably consolidates Mercer as third choice I’d say.