The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

General Zod

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by General Zod »

Some daft decisions there, but a lot of good ones too, particularly in defence. Felt that the ref’s hopelessness in policing beyond the ball tackles and saracens’ persistent offsides probably didn’t change the result, although maybe cost Glasgow a bonus point.

Edit - forgot the touch judge’s ineptitude for the try, and probably the TMO as well. You’d think they would at least check it.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Against a defence as well drilled as Sarries, you can’t help feel that Hogg and Seymour on form and in tandem could have made a difference.

Scrum good, maul defence good. Attacking maul could have been better. Matt Fagerson had an excellent game. Adam Hastings looks like he just might be a Test player...
Big D

Post by Big D »

The problem is, and I think this may be a Scottish problem, is that was their chance. It may be their only chance to put a marker down and say we are one of the better clubs in Europe.

Too often, we look back on performances and say it was good, should have won but it's progress etc. That was their chance to potentially put them in position to win the group and they let it slip through their grasp. Not just that they let a losing BP slip too.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote:The problem is, and I think this may be a Scottish problem, is that was their chance. It may be their only chance to put a marker down and say we are one of the better clubs in Europe.

Too often, we look back on performances and say it was good, should have won but it's progress etc. That was their chance to potentially put them in position to win the group and they let it slip through their grasp. Not just that they let a losing BP slip too.
Yep. I had a whole lot of issues with both Sarries and the ref, but there wasn’t nearly enough accuracy or direction in attack.

Hastings can attack outside shoulders just like Russell can, but without any direct threat through the middle it completely takes Huw Jones out of the game. Jackson just can’t pull defenders away from Jones’s channel on his own like Hogg can. I didn’t see any of the centres offer anything. Lee Jones did some useful things.

Both scrum-halves passing was pretty ropey at times but the ruck was a total mess all game.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:The problem is, and I think this may be a Scottish problem, is that was their chance. It may be their only chance to put a marker down and say we are one of the better clubs in Europe.

I take your wider point but don't think that game is the best example to make it. You cannot win a game as the underdog when Raynal is reffing. I cannot think of a ref that favours the dominant team more than him.

We got beaten by a superior England team in 2017 but it was Mr Raynal who reffed us out of that game early on, who made any chance of a comeback nigh on impossible. We didn't get a single of the marginal calls while England got them all.

Ironically it was Glasgow who once benefited hugely from Mr Raynal himself. Does anyone remember their 40+ points victory over Leicester at Welford Road? Glasgow were f*cking majestic but Leicester really were not that bad and while I don't remember any specific events I distinctly remember feeling quite sorry for them after some of the decisions. They strung together some good stuff for a few phases IIRC but Raynal always had a problem with something and called it back. He did the same to Glasgow yesterday. You CANNOT play against a ref who treats the game like that when you do not have the upper hand.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

I mean christ... look at the benefit of the doubt Sarries got in the lead up to their only try. The man was clearly in touch... Everything positive Glasgow did was checked with fine tooth comb for the slightest issue...

The leadership was poor, I agree, as a LBP was there for the taking. But you can't down-play how hard it is to play against Raynal + the dominant team. Those 'WTF' looks on the weegie faces looks awfully familiar to the one Tom Youngs was sporting all game when trying to appeal to the ref while Glasgow shafted his team again and again.
ARM

Post by ARM »

The reality is that Glasgow are not one of the best clubs in Europe. With a full strength team, perhaps pretty close but the squad strength has been detriorating for two to three years.

Paying more and more to retain the top Scottish talent, additional wage inflation from more squad members getting Scotland caps, and a highly competitive market to bring in the best overseas talent is putting the squeeze on. Budget constraints relative to other European clubs suggets this will be an ongoing issue. No new signings this seasons was the indicator.

Look at the bench yesterday - Turner, Peterson aren't good enough at this level. Fusaro, past his best. Rory Hughes, Alex Allan - pro14 calibre at best.

The squad isn't good enough to win the group.
Disappointing, but not unexpected.
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

I take your wider point but don't think that game is the best example to make it. You cannot win a game as the underdog when Raynal is reffing. I cannot think of a ref that favours the dominant team more than him.

We got beaten by a superior England team in 2017 but it was Mr Raynal who reffed us out of that game early on, who made any chance of a comeback nigh on impossible. We didn't get a single of the marginal calls while England got them all.

Ironically it was Glasgow who once benefited hugely from Mr Raynal himself. Does anyone remember their 40+ points victory over Leicester at Welford Road? Glasgow were f*cking majestic but Leicester really were not that bad and while I don't remember any specific events I distinctly remember feeling quite sorry for them after some of the decisions. They strung together some good stuff for a few phases IIRC but Raynal always had a problem with something and called it back. He did the same to Glasgow yesterday. You CANNOT play against a ref who treats the game like that when you do not have the upper hand.
But they could have. They left at least 9 points from situations that other sides would have; missed easy pen, not takinf points before half time, some cunt should have had a drop goal at the end for a losing BP. Granted thats only 9 points but there was other inaccurate play as well that could have led to points.

There is also clearly still a lack of leadership. One of the co-captains (which ever one was still on), Gray, Horne etc should have ensured at least a drop goal attempt for a LBP at the end. There needs to be a more cerebral approach for the Scottish teams at times.
Big D

Post by Big D »

ARM wrote:

The reality is that Glasgow are not one of the best clubs in Europe. With a full strength team, perhaps pretty close but the squad strength has been detriorating for two to three years.

Paying more and more to retain the top Scottish talent, additional wage inflation from more squad members getting Scotland caps, and a highly competitive market to bring in the best overseas talent is putting the squeeze on. Budget constraints relative to other European clubs suggets this will be an ongoing issue. No new signings this seasons was the indicator.

Look at the bench yesterday - Turner, Peterson aren't good enough at this level. Fusaro, past his best. Rory Hughes, Alex Allan - pro14 calibre at best.

The squad isn't good enough to win the group.
Disappointing, but not unexpected.
I deliberately didnt say one of the best, because I agree they are not. But they should be one of the better (Top 10-12) sides, particularly at home.

Newcastle probably have a smaller budget than Glasgow, definitely a less talented squad but yesterday took every opportunity to grab a big win. Scottish sides have a habbit of not doing that in Europe and at times international level.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Glasgow have developed a strategy of all or nothing approach and against countless teams it doesn’t work.

I actually think turner is a good player and has been completely mismanaged over numerous years at Edinburgh.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

I also think instead of handbags Glasgow needed to fly off their feet and make sure to get the red to recognize the penalty and therefore clamp down on it. Instead they didn’t push the issue.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

whatisthejava wrote:I also think instead of handbags Glasgow needed to fly off their feet and make sure to get the red to recognize the penalty and therefore clamp down on it. Instead they didn’t push the issue.
The problem is they did get penalised for it a couple of times. There was one instance where Weeg counter-rucked and the lead player then went over but I thought they had already won the ball. Sarries got the penalty.

After my first visit to Scotstoun I have to say it falls short of expectations for a pro club ground. Considering there were other HC games on at 1pm to not provide somewhere to watch the other games and not open the gates until after 1:30 shows a massive lack of commercial awareness. The "club house" is such a half-arsed effort its comical.

In contrast, and there are obvious caveats that I'm not mentioning, you can rock up to Allianz early doors, watch other games on TVs near the bar under the main stand and generally make a day of the event. Even Champ clubs have TVs in the bar.
Adder

Post by Adder »

whatisthejava wrote:I also think instead of handbags Glasgow needed to fly off their feet and make sure to get the red to recognize the penalty and therefore clamp down on it. Instead they didn’t push the issue.
Glasgow players seemed to "fall" in the rucks as the game went on and that seemed to have an effect (aka Itoje's nose).
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Lodezki has been cited for 2 challenges

The Fraser brown clear out and another although the ref needs a serious chat to after losing control of the game.

Expect a 4 week ban reduced to 2.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

whatisthejava wrote:Lodezki has been cited for 2 challenges

The Fraser brown clear out and another although the ref needs a serious chat to after losing control of the game.

Expect a 4 week ban reduced to 2.
I don't know how he didn't see that they were worthy of a look. It's not like they were hidden away. Citing does not good to Glasgow. That clearout one would have overturned a Sarries penalty too.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Even ignoring any effect on Glasgow, it is surely clear to everyone that those flying off your feet clearouts are dangerous and illegal
Adder

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Adder »

Cameo wrote:Even ignoring any effect on Glasgow, it is surely clear to everyone that those flying off your feet clearouts are dangerous and illegal
You wonder how many of the sarries' injuries were self inflicted.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Two week ban as you predicted. Dont have an issue with that. I would have preferred a penalty at the time though
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

My only issue is if it had been a forward doing it to a back it would be 6-8 weeks. Just cos your smaller shouldn’t change the result
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Glasgow Warriors team to play Cardiff Blues in the Heineken Champions Cup at Cardiff Arms Park, Sunday 21 October, kick off 3.15pm - live on BT Sport 3. You can follow the game on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

1. Oli Kebble (15)
2. Fraser Brown (81)
3. D’Arcy Rae (46)
4. Rob Harley (190)
5. Jonny Gray (92)
6. Ryan Wilson (145) (CC)
7. Callum Gibbins (21) (CC)
8. Matt Fagerson (31)

9. Ali Price (62)
10. Adam Hastings (16)
11. DTH can der Merwe (106)
12. Sam Johnson (40)
13. Huw Jones (12)
14. Lee Jones (79)
15. Tommy Seymour (119)

Replacements

16. George Turner (26)
17. Alex Allan (80)
18. Petrus du Plessis (1)
19. Scott Cummings (42)
20. Chris Fusaro (148)
21. George Horne (26)
22. Pete Horne (144)
23. Niko Matawalu (96)

Not available due to injury: Alex Dunbar (head), Zander Fagerson (ankle), Siua Halanukanuka (foot), Stuart Hogg (ankle), Kiran McDonald (hand) and Tim Swinson (lower limb).
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Seymour at fullback is always a laugh. Are Dunbar/Ashe capable of playing more than a handful of games in a row anymore? Big chance for Johnson to make a statement that he should be starting for Scotland.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Reckon Cardiff could take it. They will be well up after beating Lyon and Glasgow could well keep banging the door and not get over it.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Good start! 12-0, Hastings and DTHvdM.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Light blue, black & white vs light blue and gray. Brilliant.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Mikey Brown wrote:Light blue, black & white vs light blue and gray. Brilliant.
I think that’s the ref just picked up on it - changing jerseys at half time. It’s dificult to tell for me too.

Glasgow scrum a bit shoogly.