EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Oakboy

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Oakboy »

Mako definitely out, then. Has anybody heard if May will be fit?
Digby

Post by Digby »

:ugeek:
Oakboy wrote:Mako definitely out, then. Has anybody heard if May will be fit?
I've heard he's May
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:This is why I’m just waiting for something Rhodes to usurp Curry at 7.
This sort of talk needs a trigger warning.

I think Skinner is a big loss. As will Trivago lady when she calls it a day.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Worcestor’s game in Paris. Ollie Lawrence looks a serious talent. He’ll be a cracking player for Scotland, Wales or Ireland one day.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

He's one of ours, Brum born and bred! Big prospect, so too Ted Hill.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Actively involved in all but the last try. And even then he’s holding the outside line and available to run it in it chosen

Huge prospect

Worcester probably need to offload some of their centres but glad he’s getting time!

(Teo beck ventner mills lawrence butler Olivier - I’m not sure any would look out of place starting for Worcester in the AP)

On that - Mills for England, outside shot? I wouldn’t have thought it before this season but he’s doing such a great job
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

Oakboy wrote:Mako definitely out, then. Has anybody heard if May will be fit?
May is training
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

I like Mills a lot. Is he good enough to be capped? Hmmm. Johnny Williams though may well be.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Ashton finally plays for sale this weekend.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Beasties wrote:I like Mills a lot. Is he good enough to be capped? Hmmm. Johnny Williams though may well be.
Williams has youth and fewer injuries on his side.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Let’s get Williams capped ASAP. He’s been very good so far this season and given the call-ups for Skinner and Holmes this week (and possibly Addison and Haley to follow with Ireland), it’s clear that anyone half decent with the slightest drop of Scottish, Welsh or Irish blood is going to get whisked away.

I’m a big fan of Mills as well. He’s far superior to Piers Francis IMO.
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

So with
Mako
Marler
Genge
Obano
Mullan

All out who gets in the squad at Loosehead?
VRR
Hepburn
Moon
Bateman
Catt
Boyce
Etc

Scrapping the barrel a bit.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I’m hoping for VRR and Hepburn.

I don’t hate the idea of the others you’ve listed there. As a Quins fan, I’ve got a lot of time for Boyce, but it’s too soon for him to be a test player IMO.
TheDasher

Post by TheDasher »

If we go with VRR and Hepburn I'm excited and I don't think we're much weaker than if the others were fit to be honest. I still don't like Mako as a scrummager in intl rugby. Marler is a miss but he's gone, so little point in thinking about him. Genge has been injured and unavailable anyway for some time. I like Hepburn.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

TheDasher wrote:If we go with VRR and Hepburn I'm excited and I don't think we're much weaker than if the others were fit to be honest. I still don't like Mako as a scrummager in intl rugby. Marler is a miss but he's gone, so little point in thinking about him. Genge has been injured and unavailable anyway for some time. I like Hepburn.
Agreed, but would it be a huge surprise if Marler changed his mind just for the AIs?
TheDasher

Post by TheDasher »

Oakboy wrote:
TheDasher wrote:If we go with VRR and Hepburn I'm excited and I don't think we're much weaker than if the others were fit to be honest. I still don't like Mako as a scrummager in intl rugby. Marler is a miss but he's gone, so little point in thinking about him. Genge has been injured and unavailable anyway for some time. I like Hepburn.
Agreed, but would it be a huge surprise if Marler changed his mind just for the AIs?
I think it would. He seems like a strong character who'll stick with his position.

Would Marler get in the Exeter side over Hepburn, not 100% sure he would. VVR provides some impact from the bench. I think we're not really any worse off.

The big one for me is if EJ can stop being a knob and pick Morgan. Morgan at 8 would make me feel a lot better about things. We need a serious ball-carrier and he's definitely that.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Moon and V R-R. Moon is the more consistent scrummager, while V R-R is the more explosive in the loose.

expect Eddie will go with Harrison and Waller.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote:
I don't think Eddie would take him and he'd be right not to. If Marler's not available for the RWC, then we need to build experience into one of the replacements pronto. Playing Marler might win us a game, but lose us across the next year, especially if Mako were to pick up another injury.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The possible inclusion of Hepburn and/or VRR is exciting. Would’ve preferred them to have been voluntarily eased in against Japan, Oz, Italy etc but it’s something to be excited about. I’m also hoping Henry Thomas gets a call up.
Not sure if it’s been posted but Isiekwe is out for 8 weeks.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
I don't think Eddie would take him and he'd be right not to. If Marler's not available for the RWC, then we need to build experience into one of the replacements pronto. Playing Marler might win us a game, but lose us across the next year, especially if Mako were to pick up another injury.

Puja
Oh, I was not thinking of Marler volunteering but Jones asking him just to help out in the AIs. Of course, I think Jones's job should be on the line based on the AI results and that sways me. In reality, the RFU are probably too soft to sack him no matter how bad the results.

Did you see (in the DT) that Blackett, when he stepped down as Chairman of the PGB, recommended that Jones should report to DOR or at least a real 'professional rugby background' official rather than the RFU CEO (who could be county/law/finance background)? I've been saying that ever since the game went professional.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Not seen a direct quote but...... Townsend has said that Skinner turned down an offer to tour with Scotland over the summer. You’d have to guess he was waiting for Jones to call. Never mind, luckily we have Stooke to call on.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Just throwing this out there.

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Poor man’s Harry Sloan.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aren't we all?