EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:Not seen a direct quote but...... Townsend has said that Skinner turned down an offer to tour with Scotland over the summer. You’d have to guess he was waiting for Jones to call. Never mind, luckily we have Stooke to call on.
Exeter are surely pleased Stuart as a young player is stepping up to speak for the club and its players. On a wider point Exeter might again want a word about EU payments getting stung with Francis and now Skinner
Digby

Post by Digby »

Hmm I typed that as EQP and still the auto correct landed on EU
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:Hmm I typed that as EQP and still the auto correct landed on EU
The Brexit vortex.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Not seen a direct quote but...... Townsend has said that Skinner turned down an offer to tour with Scotland over the summer. You’d have to guess he was waiting for Jones to call. Never mind, luckily we have Stooke to call on.
Exeter are surely pleased Stuart as a young player is stepping up to speak for the club and its players. On a wider point Exeter might again want a word about EU payments getting stung with Francis and now Skinner
Gregor.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Gregor.
I am shocked

Not by Skinner though, with all our locks it's hard to give more reaction than meh
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Meters per carry is a pretty awful stat for most backs I guess. One good break sets you up nicely, especially if you were a support runner, and someone else made the break.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Ok. I admit it. I photoshopped the whole thing because I want Slade in the team and because I hate Wasps. Happy?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Mikey Brown wrote:Ok. I admit it. I photoshopped the whole thing because I want Slade in the team and because I hate Wasps. Happy?
? Odd response. It's as meaningless for Daly as it is for Slade, in fact it's even worse, seeing as Daly hasn't been at centre all that much. Daly's play at 13 really hasn't set him up to be the 13 for the series, I'd rather he stayed on the wing.

Surely backs should be graded on their clean breaks, their defenders beaten and their try assists. Meters made (and even per carry) is a bad stat for most players, it gives zero context or real game context. At least a defender beaten, or a clean break, is a straight up positive, as is a try assist.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Everything is meaningless if you look too hard.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Whoooosh
Puja

Post by Puja »

Courtney Lawes is back for Saints tomorrow night. As is Tom Wood, whom I'm amazed isn't in newspaper articles which are amazed that he's not in the England squad.

Puja
Backist Monk
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Puja wrote:Courtney Lawes is back for Saints tomorrow night. As is Tom Wood, whom I'm amazed isn't in newspaper articles which are amazed that he's not in the England squad.

Puja
With Farrell and Hartley, he didn't need to be captain.
Bloggs

Post by Bloggs »

Clifford back on the bench for Quins. If he can come through that and Premiership Cup, I'd get him in the squad for the end of the AIs
Digby

Post by Digby »

Raggs wrote:
Puja wrote:Courtney Lawes is back for Saints tomorrow night. As is Tom Wood, whom I'm amazed isn't in newspaper articles which are amazed that he's not in the England squad.

Puja
Being captain is surely the only thing getting Hartley into the squad, he's added bad work in the setpiece into his repertoire this season and that was maybe his only saving grace the last few seasons
Stom

Post by Stom »

Bloggs wrote:Clifford back on the bench for Quins. If he can come through that and Premiership Cup, I'd get him in the squad for the end of the AIs
Just no. We can't break him again. He needs a good long period getting back into things, like Tuilagi has had.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep. I can't see him getting up to speed that quick anyway after so long out.
TheDasher

Post by TheDasher »

Digby wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Puja
Being captain is surely the only thing getting Hartley into the squad, he's added bad work in the setpiece into his repertoire this season and that was maybe his only saving grace the last few seasons
Absolutely. George, LCD and Tommy Taylor are all in another league to Hartley these days.
morepork

Post by morepork »

What about halfbacks? Is the cupboard really so bare as to enlist that odd little box-kicking metronome Wigglesthingy? A snappier half would do wonders for England.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Our good SHs are all too young, tbh, or injured in the case of Robson. Not to say there's any excuse for picking Wigglesworthless.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Stom wrote:Our good SHs are all too young, tbh, or injured in the case of Robson. Not to say there's any excuse for picking Wigglesworthless.
Do you think Jones thinks he needs 'safe' cover because Youngs is playing even worse than normal? Care will start, I'd guess.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Oakboy wrote:
Stom wrote:Our good SHs are all too young, tbh, or injured in the case of Robson. Not to say there's any excuse for picking Wigglesworthless.
Do you think Jones thinks he needs 'safe' cover because Youngs is playing even worse than normal? Care will start, I'd guess.
Stupot Townsend aint too young. I think Youngs was 20 when getting his first cap. Care probably 20/21.

Regards 'safe' cover, I think it is more being able to outmaneuver the opposition with our cleverly thought out substitution that sees Ford yanked and Farrell stepping into 10 with Ben 'where is 6ways' T'eo moving to 12 and the mighty Wiggy feeding them kicks to chase...
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

p/d wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Stupot Townsend aint too young. I think Youngs was 20 when getting his first cap. Care probably 20/21.

Regards 'safe' cover, I think it is more being able to outmaneuver the opposition with our cleverly thought out substitution that sees Ford yanked and Farrell stepping into 10 with Ben 'where is 6ways' T'eo moving to 12 and the mighty Wiggy feeding them kicks to chase...
Sounds exciting!!! I would have thought Velacott was worth a shout if he's going the apprentice route or I'd rather have Spencer than Wigglesworth anyway.
morepork

Post by morepork »

It would be difficult to imagine a more predictable strategy. Jesus. That is just shyte management from Jones.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote:What about halfbacks? Is the cupboard really so bare as to enlist that odd little box-kicking metronome Wigglesthingy? A snappier half would do wonders for England.
Sadly, no. If we could poach any one player, then it'd be a scrum-half.

Youngs is Youngs
Care is Care
Robson is younger Youngs and injured anyway
Spencer has decided to shit the bed every time he's trusted with a starting shirt.
Wigglesworth is ancient and only kicks
Townsend is average at best
Maunder can't get game time over Townsend
Braley is average at best
Vellacott is currently lacking a decent pass or any game control
And below that you're getting into Michael Young and Chris Cook territory.

I don't know what it is - 9's been a weakness for our U20s sides for years as well, so we've got precious little pipeline.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote:
p/d wrote:
Oakboy wrote:

Sounds exciting!!! I would have thought Velacott was worth a shout if he's going the apprentice route or I'd rather have Spencer than Wigglesworth anyway.
Have you seen Spencer this season?! There's a reason Saracens have gone back to Wigglesworth - he's been dire.

Puja
Backist Monk