The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

whatisthejava wrote:
Big D wrote:Glasgow are severely lacking leaders and decision makers in that team.

Calling a long ball on 1st line out, silly penalty from Wilson etc are all cardinal sins playing with the wind.and why the fuck are they playing with the wind in the 1st half?
My coach a few years ago told me to always play with the wind in the first half, if the wind changes or dies down at least you had it.
Interesting. Shows different coaches preach different things I guess. I've always been told play into the wind 1st half and keep it tight whilst fresh.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Big D wrote:
whatisthejava wrote:
Big D wrote:Glasgow are severely lacking leaders and decision makers in that team.

Calling a long ball on 1st line out, silly penalty from Wilson etc are all cardinal sins playing with the wind.and why the fuck are they playing with the wind in the 1st half?
My coach a few years ago told me to always play with the wind in the first half, if the wind changes or dies down at least you had it.
Interesting. Shows different coaches preach different things I guess. I've always been told play into the wind 1st half and keep it tight whilst fresh.
Haha. Was going to post on this too. Have had coaches say different things, so concluded that it’s best to play with it first up because:

1 - at least you know it’s there. No guarantees it’ll turn up in the second half, unless you’re John Kettley.

2 - if it works (and you should be backing yourself to win), you’ll be ahead and then they’ll be chasing the game. Much better than the other way round as you don’t know what will happen in the second half (injuries, cards, tactics, rain, fitness, poor decisions when becoming increasingly more desperate, etc).
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

General Zod wrote:
Haha. Was going to post on this too. Have had coaches say different things, so concluded that it’s best to play with it first up because:

1 - at least you know it’s there. No guarantees it’ll turn up in the second half, unless you’re John Kettley.

2 - if it works (and you should be backing yourself to win), you’ll be ahead and then they’ll be chasing the game. Much better than the other way round as you don’t know what will happen in the second half (injuries, cards, tactics, rain, fitness, poor decisions when becoming increasingly more desperate, etc).
There was a Scotland french game and the scots opted to play with the wind in the first half, came out in the second and the wind had changed and was still with the scots in the second half

Was either 88 or 90
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

So looking at the pool standings and the fixtures if Edinburgh win then it gives Glasgow a good chance to qualify as a runner-up. I just don't see them creating any magic at Allianz.

Pool 1 - Toulouse are on 17 and play Bath at home. 4 points is a fair expectation - 21
Pool 2 - Exeter are on 13, playing Munster away. Unlikely to get anything - 13
Pool 3 - Glasgow are on 19. A LPB is being generous - 19
Pool 4 - Ulster are on 18, playing Tigers. Tough to call but I think they could sneak it - 22
Pool 5 - Montpellier are on 16. I'd back Edinburgh on their current form but a win for the French would put them on 20
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

whatisthejava wrote:
General Zod wrote:

There was a Scotland french game and the scots opted to play with the wind in the first half, came out in the second and the wind had changed and was still with the scots in the second half

Was either 88 or 90
A gazillion years ago, there was an airline pilot in the team that I played for. He always checked the weather forecast before home games, and as the pitch was more or less parallel to one of Scotland's major runways, his predictions as to whether, when and how the wind might change were dead on*.

*I can only remember one occasion in 3 seasons when it actually did change.
Adder

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Adder »

sharvey44 wrote:So looking at the pool standings and the fixtures if Edinburgh win then it gives Glasgow a good chance to qualify as a runner-up. I just don't see them creating any magic at Allianz.

Pool 1 - Toulouse are on 17 and play Bath at home. 4 points is a fair expectation - 21
Pool 2 - Exeter are on 13, playing Munster away. Unlikely to get anything - 13
Pool 3 - Glasgow are on 19. A LPB is being generous - 19
Pool 4 - Ulster are on 18, playing Tigers. Tough to call but I think they could sneak it - 22
Pool 5 - Montpellier are on 16. I'd back Edinburgh on their current form but a win for the French would put them on 20
Pool 1 - Toulouse are on 17 . They will beat bath with BP. 22

Pool 2 - Exeter are on 13 and will lose to Munster away.

Pool 3 - Glasgow are on 19 and will lose to sarries away. They will rue that losing bonus point at Scotstoun

Pool 4 - Ulster are on 18, playing Tigers who will have given up. BP 23

Pool 5 - Montpellier are on 16. Edinburgh have not fecked up in a while. BP for Montpellier. 21.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

If Ed win then Glasgow get in. I actually think the sarries game will be pretty close. I think weeg will get a lbp
Adder

Post by Adder »

whatisthejava wrote:If Ed win then Glasgow get in. I actually think the sarries game will be pretty close. I think weeg will get a lbp
Stop being so positive!
Big D

Post by Big D »

whatisthejava wrote:If Ed win then Glasgow get in. I actually think the sarries game will be pretty close. I think weeg will get a lbp
A 9 point win against the Cardiff shags doesn't mean their slump is over.

Sarries are a bad match up right now for this Glasgow side. Their forwards are mostly man for man better and could strangle Glasgow and shut them down in the same way Edinburgh did.

If they had just shown a bit of game management in the last Sarries game and kicked the drop goal when it did the same as score a try then they'd be on 20 and pretty much home and hosed.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Big D wrote:
A 9 point win against the Cardiff shags doesn't mean their slump is over.

Sarries are a bad match up right now for this Glasgow side. Their forwards are mostly man for man better and could strangle Glasgow and shut them down in the same way Edinburgh did.

If they had just shown a bit of game management in the last Sarries game and kicked the drop goal when it did the same as score a try then they'd be on 20 and pretty much home and hosed.
I dont think sarries are in that great shapes either, were beaten by Sale and really have not looked that great since November and could have lost to Cardiff, there was a swing with the maitland and George try that if it had went the other way i think Cardiff might have squeezed them out
Big D

Post by Big D »

That's true but Sarries know how to tough a game out and I don't think Glasgow do. It wouldn't surprise me if Sarries grind out a 24-12 result or similar.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Suggestions that Glasgow are signing Davidson for next season from newcastle. Would make sense with Peterson seemingly off.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/newcastl ... -of-locks/
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That backrow. Wow.

What is happening with Jones?
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

That backrow is going workmanlike at best but i suppose with Fagerson and Gibbons injured I suppose its the best they can do
Big D

Post by Big D »

whatisthejava wrote:That backrow is going workmanlike at best but i suppose with Fagerson and Gibbons injured I suppose its the best they can do
I think Ashe starting over either of the flankers would be a big upgrade.

How poorly have Glasgow recruited? They have way over invested in the backs.

Unavailable: Fraser Brown (knee), Matt Fagerson (shoulder), Zander Fagerson (ankle), Bruce Flockhart (ankle), Callum Gibbins (ankle/knee), Pete Horne (knee) and George Turner (ankle).

That isn't a huge amount and they can't name a second row better than Harley for the bench? Only missing 3 back rowers, that isn't a massive amount either really.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I don’t get it. Ashe seemed to finally get back to full form and fitness, win a MOTM award and then got immediately dropped. I feel like there must be more to it.

In comparison, it’s mad that Edinburgh have 4 backrows out injured and are still able to field Ritchie, Watson, Mata.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah I don’t get it. Ashe seemed to finally get back to full form and fitness, win a MOTM award and then got immediately dropped. I feel like there must be more to it.

In comparison, it’s mad that Edinburgh have 4 backrows out injured and are still able to field Ritchie, Watson, Mata.
And Crosbie on the bench who IMO is better than Harley.

But Edinburgh is like the inverse, poorly resourced in the backs - although improving that this year.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Maybe Toony’s had a word about Ashe? Dunno.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

I never realized but the “appreciation” in the thread is clearly for Edinburgh giving you a pass to the last 8.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Well done weeg on qualifying.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Farrell out for today, Goode to 10. Will change the way sarries play a bit you'd think.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Glasgow have to have some of the worst back row options in the Pro 14.

First choice gets 'decent' status but after that you're really scraping with Harley at 6 & Fusaro and Smith as options.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Stewart having a nightmare.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Great pass from Johnson
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yup.