EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

fivepointer

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by fivepointer »

Saints were very good in very entertaining game.
I think Harrison has been one of the form back rowers this season. Ribbans I like a lot. Painter has a big future ahead of him. Mitchell looked very sharp. Ludlam very lively when he came on.
And Fraser Dingwall just oozed quality. Missed a couple of one on one tackles but his overall game was terrific for a teenager. He might opt for Scotland but he is a player England should be very keen to have a serious look at.
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

I reckon Dingwall will get capped by Scotland after the RWC.
England have a lot of centres coming up and with the way Scotland have developed it would honestly be a good move for him.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I tend to agree. There will be a decent amount of competition with England and his chances of being a first choice in the relative short term will be significantly higher with Scotland.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Tigersman wrote:I reckon Dingwall will get capped by Scotland after the RWC.
England have a lot of centres coming up and with the way Scotland have developed it would honestly be a good move for him.
After the RWC? I wouldn't be shocked to see him in their 6N squad. Scotland seem very keen on securing dual qualified players asap and, considering they've capped Chris Harris, you can't say he's massively far off the squad on merit. I'm hoping Eddie has him in as an apprentice to ward them off.

Speaking of which, I'm getting more and more annoyed that we missed out on Sam Skinner. He's looking more accomplished every time I see him.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Agreed ... at least these guys have a legitimate reason to consider a call-up from either.
Puja

Post by Puja »

True - not exactly a poach for either of them.

Puja
Backist Monk
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

Puja wrote:
After the RWC? I wouldn't be shocked to see him in their 6N squad. Scotland seem very keen on securing dual qualified players asap and, considering they've capped Chris Harris, you can't say he's massively far off the squad on merit. I'm hoping Eddie has him in as an apprentice to ward them off.

Speaking of which, I'm getting more and more annoyed that we missed out on Sam Skinner. He's looking more accomplished every time I see him.

Puja
Was thinking that Townsend might be focusing on the RWC rather than capturing players.

But as you say he isn't exactly a step down from Harris.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Tigersman wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Was thinking that Townsend might be focusing on the RWC rather than capturing players.

But as you say he isn't exactly a step down from Harris.
You are right there Dingwall wouldn't be a step down on Harris. Harris seemed to be picked because Townsend saw him as a solid player with some qualities but also that we can't seem to keep our centres fit together at one time, we always seem to have 2 or 3 of them injured at one time.

To be fair, GT and Cotter before him haven't went out there way to capture/cap a player to solely prevent him playing for anyone else. Any dual qualified/project player we have called up (or attempted to) have came through the national age grade sides at some point, been brought in as a contender for the matchday 23, or due to injuries. All the 26 players capped since the last WC (except Burleigh who left) have 2 or more caps and would be in contention for a 6N squad place if fit and in form.

If they convince Dingwall to play for Scotland it would be because they see him as being good enough which would as noted seems fair enough (same if he choses England).
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I can’t imagine Dingwall is ready for 6N’s rugby yet. George Moala is a big old powerful unit, but I would expect an international centre to show up a bit better physically than Dingwall did at the weekend.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Full marks to Eddie for attending the Newcastle vs Toulon game, but I'm trying to work out what on earth he was there for. The closest thing to an EPS player was Gary Graham and the next best option was Will Witty.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Yes. That is odd.

I’m not sure he would have learned too much from Saints dismembering Timisoara 111-3, but in fairness to a very young, predominantly English side, you can only play what’s in front of you and the likes of Alex Mitchell has looked good against much better opposition too.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Puja wrote:Full marks to Eddie for attending the Newcastle vs Toulon game, but I'm trying to work out what on earth he was there for. The closest thing to an EPS player was Gary Graham and the next best option was Will Witty.

Puja

Newcastle front row with dome dazzling handling. Embarrassing that you can reach the top level of the game with that lack of skill.
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

Puja wrote:Full marks to Eddie for attending the Newcastle vs Toulon game, but I'm trying to work out what on earth he was there for. The closest thing to an EPS player was Gary Graham and the next best option was Will Witty.

Puja
Prob to appease people who say he doesn't go to their games.
He's also pick McGuigan in a few squads.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I can see why there's the fuss about Tompkins now.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Just lost a massive amount of respect for Jamie George there.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:Just lost a massive amount of respect for Jamie George there.
Reaction to the perfectly ok dump tackle and/or then losing the handbags to a winger?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yes. And whining like a little bitch the entire time.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The Sarries Eng players have been superb. Particularly, Vunipolae and Itoje.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

On another note. I absolutely hate Itoje when I am supporting an opposition team, he's backed it up with his performance too. Fantastic game from him.

Vunipola class too, yes.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:I can see why there's the fuss about Tompkins now.
Yep. Classy player.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Dan Cole looking as good as I’ve seen him in a long time today. So far, a good turnover, a big tackle on Burns and a couple of nice lines on the carry. That’s more than he achieved watching him in multiple games last season.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Cole has been good.

Ben Youngs, on the other hand, has been poor.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Are you suggesting Youngs's form actually matters in someway regarding England selection?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:Are you suggesting Youngs's form actually matters in someway regarding England selection?
True. Apols.

Ford has been superb.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

“Look how slow Leicester have made their own ball”

You mean “Look how slow Youngs has made their own ball”