EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:Mako V out with a "significant" torn hamstring: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48300016

While I'm not keen on the run of injuries Mako's got going, it might not be a terrible thing for England. Three extra weeks away from the game for all the rest of his body to recover and hopefully fit and completely niggle-free for the start of the RWC warm-ups.

Puja
consequence of playing so much over a long period of time, hopefully as you say, rest will benefit him, as it did Itoje.
There was a point in the Leinster match where he got caught at a ruck in similar fashion to POC when he really ripped his hammy, I wonder if that's what did it?
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

We looked significantly weaker in the 6N without him. Hope he can recover.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The Times are claiming that Sarries are saying the injury is expected to take a minimum of three months to recover from. This takes us up to the cusp of the deadline for naming squad.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

On the plus side, Sam Simmonds makes his comeback today. Difficult to see him forcing his way back in but it’s good for Jones to have options. It’ll be between him and Clifford if Jones wants to take a versatile speedster in the back row.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

If he doesn't make it we need to be sending up the bat signal for marler.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

twitchy wrote:
been excellent whenever I've seen him. Really should have been playing for the senior side a couple of years back.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Fingers crossed- him and his bro are pivotal....https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48300016
richy678

Post by richy678 »

twitchy wrote:
Kvesic should have had the call after Hendre Fourie had finished.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Is he English qualified? Sounds Italian.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

The weekend will only further Nick Tompkins as a shout for 12...

I quite like him, but I'd prefer if it was someone other than Farrell at 10 if he were picked
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Tompkins is putting himself in the frame to be a genuine bolter.

I’d much rather see him go than Te’o, but I suspect he’d be more likely to push out JJ given his ability to slot in at 12 or 13.

If he doesn’t make it, he’ll definitely be in the picture next season.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scrumhead wrote:Tompkins is putting himself in the frame to be a genuine bolter.

I’d much rather see him go than Te’o
In that, he can join a list of Manu, Atkinson, Williams and Redpath - hell, I'd probably include 36 (and I'm sure a few others if I could be arse to think about it for a couple of minutes) on that list too!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:Tompkins is putting himself in the frame to be a genuine bolter.

I’d much rather see him go than Te’o
In that, he can join a list of Manu, Atkinson, Williams and Redpath - hell, I'd probably include 36 (and I'm sure a few others if I could be arse to think about it for a couple of minutes) on that list too!
JJ I'd think too
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

There’s probably about 10 or more players I’d take ahead of Teo.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Can’t see Tompkins getting in this late, having never even made a training squad. Devoto is pushing seriously hard though in my mind. Would be happy to see Devoto, Tuilagi, JJ and Slade.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I wonder if performances from this Saturday will sway Eddie? As highly unlikely as that is, if that were the case Devoto v Tompkins will be a crunch match up.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:Can’t see Tompkins getting in this late, having never even made a training squad. Devoto is pushing seriously hard though in my mind. Would be happy to see Devoto, Tuilagi, JJ and Slade.
Yep. Though I wonder if Eddie will over index elsewhere, and use Daly and Faz as centre cover.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Joe Marler, meanwhile, has revealed he would answer an emergency England call for the World Cup but would do so reluctantly, claiming it would be “disrespectful” to his loosehead rivals. Marler has enjoyed a fine season for Harlequins since bringing an end to his international career in September and Mako Vunipola’s hamstring injury – which will keep him out for the next three months – has underlined the lack of depth Eddie Jones has in that position.

Marler is still in regular contact with Jones and before turning out for the Barbarians against a youthful England XV on Sunday, he said: “If it was an SOS scenario it would definitely be something I’d consider but they’re not in an SOS scenario. If they were desperate I would give them a hand, but they’re not. I would have the conversation with my wife and think about it and say, ‘Yeah, all right, I’ll come and help you out.’

“But it’s a tough one. I wouldn’t be able to just walk up and just immerse myself in it all again. Boys have been grafting for years. Not only has Mako been brilliant, but the boys who came in stepped up and proved their worth there. For the whole 12-18 months they have been doing that, if someone turned around and went, ‘All right, I’ll come along even though I have done no work, done nothing’, that is disrespectful.”
I think that's a fair response.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Joe Marler, meanwhile, has revealed he would answer an emergency England call for the World Cup but would do so reluctantly, claiming it would be “disrespectful” to his loosehead rivals. Marler has enjoyed a fine season for Harlequins since bringing an end to his international career in September and Mako Vunipola’s hamstring injury – which will keep him out for the next three months – has underlined the lack of depth Eddie Jones has in that position.

Marler is still in regular contact with Jones and before turning out for the Barbarians against a youthful England XV on Sunday, he said: “If it was an SOS scenario it would definitely be something I’d consider but they’re not in an SOS scenario. If they were desperate I would give them a hand, but they’re not. I would have the conversation with my wife and think about it and say, ‘Yeah, all right, I’ll come and help you out.’

“But it’s a tough one. I wouldn’t be able to just walk up and just immerse myself in it all again. Boys have been grafting for years. Not only has Mako been brilliant, but the boys who came in stepped up and proved their worth there. For the whole 12-18 months they have been doing that, if someone turned around and went, ‘All right, I’ll come along even though I have done no work, done nothing’, that is disrespectful.”
I think that's a fair response.

Puja
Yep nice.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Agreed. I’d still much rather have Marler than Moon or Hepburn though!
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Great response from marler. Makes me want him back even more honestly. This isn't an "SOS" situation but more why not give it one last tourney while you are in your prime.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Indeed. Compare it to the entitlement from the likes of Steffon Armitage or Carl Fearns.