EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

I think Farrell is pretty bloody good, he's consistently getting good contacts on the ball and his misses tend to be narrow rather than shanks. Bar it's all about the numbers he's almost a bit better than his numbers
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:I think Farrell is pretty bloody good, he's consistently getting good contacts on the ball and his misses tend to be narrow rather than shanks. Bar it's all about the numbers he's almost a bit better than his numbers
Well he's 5% behind his 6N peers. In this case, outcome over time is the only measure that makes sense.

and actually, I think his misses, certainly at club level, are usually shanks, usually when on edge of range.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:I think Farrell is pretty bloody good, he's consistently getting good contacts on the ball and his misses tend to be narrow rather than shanks. Bar it's all about the numbers he's almost a bit better than his numbers
Well he's 5% behind his 6N peers. In this case, outcome over time is the only measure that makes sense.

and actually, I think his misses, certainly at club level, are usually shanks, usually when on edge of range.
I don't know what sort of distance and angles the others are kicking from, but my gut reaction would be only Halfpenny is on his level as a goal kicker. Though granted I've become a little obsessed with his kicking and the sound he's making on contact with the ball, it's more than a little sad
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:

I don't know what sort of distance and angles the others are kicking from, but my gut reaction would be only Halfpenny is on his level as a goal kicker. Though granted I've become a little obsessed with his kicking and the sound he's making on contact with the ball, it's more than a little sad
Biggar and Sexton both have much higher percentages. Halfpenny also, and he kicks prodigious distances. Even Laidlaw is 3 pp higher.

Feel free to dig under these percentages, but prima facia he doesn't seem in their league.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: Well he's 5% behind his 6N peers. In this case, outcome over time is the only measure that makes sense.

Biggar and Sexton both have much higher percentages. Halfpenny also, and he kicks prodigious distances.
The higher percentage for his peers don't surprise me as my sense, and I don't have the data to support this, is Farrell attempts harder kicks so I'd expect his success rate to suffer. It's actually a shame he's allowed to go for some of those more speculative kicks, which has happened under Robshaw, Hartley and whichever prat is in charge now as his kicking from wider out is pretty good, but the distance isn't always there, and Daly's technique is above hit and hope, but not by much

Also when it comes to Sexton then Farrell's not as good at accidentally taking the kick 5m closer to the sticks than the mark
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Biggar and Sexton both have much higher percentages. Halfpenny also, and he kicks prodigious distances.
The higher percentage for his peers don't surprise me as my sense, and I don't have the data to support this, is Farrell attempts harder kicks so I'd expect his success rate to suffer. It's actually a shame he's allowed to go for some of those more speculative kicks, which has happened under Robshaw, Hartley and whichever prat is in charge now as his kicking from wider out is pretty good, but the distance isn't always there, and Daly's technique is above hit and hope, but not by much

Also when it comes to Sexton then Farrell's not as good at accidentally taking the kick 5m closer to the sticks than the mark
I think that's just made up tbh.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: Biggar and Sexton both have much higher percentages. Halfpenny also, and he kicks prodigious distances.

I'm going with it being inductive, just without any actual facts which would allow me to adduce away.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:

I'm going with it being inductive, just without any actual facts which would allow me to adduce away.
:) :) if anything, I'd have said we are a more for the corner team over recent teams, but equally I am making that up!
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: I think that's just made up tbh.
:) :) if anything, I'd have said we are a more for the corner team over recent teams, but equally I am making that up!
We're in a time of Trump and Brexit, the done thing is to just make up facts. Reality is for the weak, thus does Eddie look at our squad for tomorrow and ponder should he not have sought some lock coverage
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
We're in a time of Trump and Brexit, the done thing is to just make up facts. Reality is for the weak, thus does Eddie look at our squad for tomorrow and ponder should he not have sought some lock coverage
:lol: :lol:
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

It's pretty crazy how in this day and age we still get these situations (story about him hiding his injury in 2015).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... id-ireland
Puja

Post by Puja »

Interesting question - if Mako's injury is worse than hoped and he can't make the RWC, who comes into the squad. Harry Williams went to all of the camps and would seem to be obvious, but we had 3 loose and 2 tight on the basis that Marler can theoretically cover across, while adding Williams would leave us with only 2 looseheads. Maybe LCD as backup loosehead?

Or, do we pick from outside the training squads and invite Moon to go on the latest trip to Treviso, just in case?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Was that the line? That Marler can cover?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:Was that the line? That Marler can cover?
Allegedly. Don't know anyone who's seen it happen. Not sure what I'd think of LCD covering 1 - on the one hand, he can and has played there, but on the other he's spent 5-odd years optimising himself to play hooker. Marler would be out of position, but at least he'd still be a prop.

I still think taking 5 props is an unacceptable and unnecessary risk. It's the only position on the pitch where you can't just have someone cover.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote:
Allegedly. Don't know anyone who's seen it happen. Not sure what I'd think of LCD covering 1 - on the one hand, he can and has played there, but on the other he's spent 5-odd years optimising himself to play hooker. Marler would be out of position, but at least he'd still be a prop.

I still think taking 5 props is an unacceptable and unnecessary risk. It's the only position on the pitch where you can't just have someone cover.

Puja
Maybe Eddie just thought it'd be better to play with 14 than have to pick Harry Williams.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Maybe Eddie just thought it'd be better to play with 14 than have to pick Harry Williams.
Not unfair.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Update on Mako’s hamstrung scheduled to be tomorrow.
Puja

Post by Puja »

No other props being hauled out to the Treviso camp suggests promising news.

Puja
Backist Monk
Danno

Post by Danno »

I was just about to ask this.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Puja wrote:No other props being hauled out to the Treviso camp suggests promising news.

Puja
Mako update

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/artic ... ury-update

Vunipola needs 10 days rehabilitation, Moon called up to Treviso in the interim

Fingers crossed that's all it is!
Digby

Post by Digby »

No idea, sounds low to me. Also 10 days rehab to be able to do what? Light cycling to to try and maintain some aerobic fitness, contact training, a full game?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Nowell might miss out completely, though, so we can call up someone new!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:No idea, sounds low to me. Also 10 days rehab to be able to do what? Light cycling to to try and maintain some aerobic fitness, contact training, a full game?
yep. Anything like a new tear would be a lot longer you'd think.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:No idea, sounds low to me. Also 10 days rehab to be able to do what? Light cycling to to try and maintain some aerobic fitness, contact training, a full game?
yep. Anything like a new tear would be a lot longer you'd think.
it did say he's torn some scar tissue, no surprise there. still it's an optimistic take it seems to me, especially with regard to seeing a rinse and repeat. but he's going to recover faster, and he'll get some of the best treatment going, and Team Eddie are normally chock-full of honesty, so maybe
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Stom wrote:Nowell might miss out completely, though, so we can call up someone new!
And McConnochie? That injury updates page doesn't seem to go anywhere anymore so I'm not sure if there has been word on him.

I like the look of him as a player but there's a part of me that would find it hilarious if he gets a runout vs Italy and is total pants. Like, Burrell/Harrison/Isiekwe but EJ can't do anything about it.