EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Raggs

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Raggs »

Really if he doesn't play until the Arg/Fra game, it's not the end of the world. We have 3 loosies. Off the bench for those two, ready to start in the knock outs.

I have to say, our pack does give me a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling. Significant numbers of big carriers (with great hands), good numbers of acceptable carriers, some pacy options to hit good lines off those heavier hitters with the soft hands. Decent breakdown and lineout presence too. All in all, a very solid base.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:No idea, sounds low to me. Also 10 days rehab to be able to do what? Light cycling to to try and maintain some aerobic fitness, contact training, a full game?
yep. Anything like a new tear would be a lot longer you'd think.
it did say he's torn some scar tissue, no surprise there. still it's an optimistic take it seems to me, especially with regard to seeing a rinse and repeat. but he's going to recover faster, and he'll get some of the best treatment going, and Team Eddie are normally chock-full of honesty, so maybe
He had an op on his hamstring, so my guess would be that he’s torn scar tissue around the site of the incision rather than on the actual hamstring. Otherwise, as you say, 10 days would be pretty optimistic.

It’s still a worry as hamstrings require plenty of conditioning. They’re going to have to really push him in training to get him ready to play.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: yep. Anything like a new tear would be a lot longer you'd think.
it did say he's torn some scar tissue, no surprise there. still it's an optimistic take it seems to me, especially with regard to seeing a rinse and repeat. but he's going to recover faster, and he'll get some of the best treatment going, and Team Eddie are normally chock-full of honesty, so maybe
He had an op on his hamstring, so my guess would be that he’s torn scar tissue around the site of the incision rather than on the actual hamstring. Otherwise, as you say, 10 days would be pretty optimistic.

It’s still a worry as hamstrings require plenty of conditioning. They’re going to have to really push him in training to get him ready to play.
They surely have to hold him back, but he's missed so much training that you'd have to wonder how useful he'd be.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Banquo wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Digby wrote:

They surely have to hold him back, but he's missed so much training that you'd have to wonder how useful he'd be.
In my mind he's the best loosehead in the world. That's useful. Tonga and USA first up, even without him starting I'd hope we have enough to beat Arg and Fra the way they've been going, and by then he's either definitely injured, or match fit for the big ones.
Digby

Post by Digby »

There's nobody to really cover what Mako does at LHP, which raises the risk of losing Sinckler through the roof. Lose one of them and with George and the other we're still well set. We've got to take Mako, partly he's class, and partly in effect he's our cover for Sinckler
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Digby wrote:

I have to say, he did look noticeably less fit than the other England forwards when I was doing my rewatch. The training camp has left our tight five looking fit as butchers dogs and he definitely looked off the pace. Mind, if he does have to pull out, we'll have the same problem with Ben Moon.

Thank all the gods that Marler decided to come back, that's all I can say.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Raggs wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Timbo wrote:

In my mind he's the best loosehead in the world. That's useful. Tonga and USA first up, even without him starting I'd hope we have enough to beat Arg and Fra the way they've been going, and by then he's either definitely injured, or match fit for the big ones.
I don't disagree about how important he is, but you can't deny that the question has to be asked. Where are you suggesting he starts to play a part, as that's unclear from your post. As Puja said, he wasn't on the pace even off the bench at the weekend.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I'd take him if he couldn't play in the group games. Essentially as the Kiwis are doing with Brodie, he's just a massive player for us, and maybe if we're lucky we can get 40-60 minutes into him before the quarters. Obviously I'm hoping we manage that rare feat of actually getting out of the group.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Banquo wrote: They surely have to hold him back, but he's missed so much training that you'd have to wonder how useful he'd be.
I don't disagree about how important he is, but you can't deny that the question has to be asked. Where are you suggesting he starts to play a part, as that's unclear from your post. As Puja said, he wasn't on the pace even off the bench at the weekend.
If it's 10 days until he can be in full training, then that takes him to 7th September. He then has 2 weeks to build up fitness before our first game and can likely be given 80 minutes to exhaust. He can then come off the bench for Argentina and France, at which point he's had 6 weeks to get up to snuff before a (hopeful) quarter final. It is doable.

Don't know it's something I'd be looking to do for anyone that wasn't him, but it is doable.

Puja
Backist Monk
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Agreed with the above. Get a conditioning programme designed to see him hitting decent match fitness for the knock outs. 5 weeks of fitness and 60-80 mins of rugby across the 4 group games. Even then, all being well, maybe he’s used off the bench thereafter and Marler starts.

That would be the plan...
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Raggs wrote:
If it's 10 days until he can be in full training, then that takes him to 7th September. He then has 2 weeks to build up fitness before our first game and can likely be given 80 minutes to exhaust. He can then come off the bench for Argentina and France, at which point he's had 6 weeks to get up to snuff before a (hopeful) quarter final. It is doable.

Don't know it's something I'd be looking to do for anyone that wasn't him, but it is doable.

Puja
That would strike me as plenty of time to be honest. Our first 2 pool games are basically warm-ups anyway. He can blow off the cobwebs maybe with a start and a bench, then bench for the next two perhaps, and should be ready by the quarters.
Blandy

Post by Blandy »

While I agree in principle with taking Mako mainly for the knockout games, we really can't travel to Japan with effectively 4 props can we? Could we change the squad if we wanted to at this stage? or would we be left seeing if Nowell or McConnochie don't pull through their own injury worries?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Raggs wrote:
Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote: I don't disagree about how important he is, but you can't deny that the question has to be asked. Where are you suggesting he starts to play a part, as that's unclear from your post. As Puja said, he wasn't on the pace even off the bench at the weekend.

Puja
That would strike me as plenty of time to be honest. Our first 2 pool games are basically warm-ups anyway. He can blow off the cobwebs maybe with a start and a bench, then bench for the next two perhaps, and should be ready by the quarters.
Indeed. I wouldn’t want to insult Tonga or the USA by referring to them as warm-ups but we shouldn’t need Mako for those two games.

The Argentina game is 5th October. That’s a full 5 weeks away so while it would be a risk to take an injured player, it’s worth taking if there’s a reasonable chance he’s fit for the tougher group games.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

If Mako is less than 100% fit (seems inevitable) I'd take him but start with Marler. No matter how strong the opposition, that is the way to go. Work on the basis of Marler playing 60 minutes minimum (preferably longer) and only use Mako if necessary. However, the bollix of Marler covering tighthead has to be axed and a 3rd one taken. Review at the end of the group stage.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Loving the optimism.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Fingers crossed on Mako. England will give him every chance to recover.

Nowell's involvement looks less likely - "Jack Nowell’s chances of playing in Japan are “touch and go”, according to his club coach, Rob Baxter. The 26-year-old wing injured his ankle in Exeter’s Premiership final defeat by Saracens in June, but was included in England’s 31-man squad.

“I think he’s going to be touch and go for involvement in the World Cup,” Baxter told BBC Radio Devon. “But let’s cross our fingers and hope that he can come through.”

After facing Italy, England fly to Japan on 8 September. They begin their campaign against Tonga on Sunday 22 September"

If he doesnt make it, who should Jones take. Another SH perhaps?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Listening to the rugby pod they were saying Ashton was invited to Italy but injured at the time. He might just call up another wing who can play fullback, rather than acknowledge having another 3/9/10 might be more useful.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Danny Care knows what's up...
"If he is in the best form as a scrum-half between him and Ben, he is gong to play," added Care.

"I think Ben would understand that. I think Ben would have to play quite poorly and Willi would have to play well when he came on for that to happen.

"But Willi Heinz will want to be number one. If Ben has another game like at the weekend, then you never know, Willi is knocking on the door and will be asking questions of the coaches."
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:Danny Care knows what's up...THROUGH GRITTED TEETH HE SAID
"If he is in the best form as a scrum-half between him and Ben, he is gong to play," added Care.

"I think Ben would understand that. I think Ben would have to play quite poorly and Willi would have to play well when he came on for that to happen.

"But Willi Heinz will want to be number one. If Ben has another game like at the weekend, then you never know, Willi is knocking on the door and will be asking questions of the coaches."
Fixed that :)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stephen Jones taking our running joke to a whole new level in today’s Sunday Times by claiming that we have forgotten how successful Watson was as the Lions’ test fullback in 2017.
Digby

Post by Digby »

'tis possible I suppose they had Williams cover a wing in defence if they thought Smith more likely to kick on that side with Watson covering 15, I don't recall that, but it was only a jamboree tour so who really pays attention?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Jake Polledri’s try on 8mins is worth a watch:

He chips the ball over a ruck, collects his own kick and then powers through a couple of tackles to score.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Bergamasco eat your heart out!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stuart Barnes claiming Spencer was dropped/not selected due to his poor communication.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Mellsblue wrote:Stuart Barnes claiming Spencer was dropped/not selected due to his poor communication.
If only Barnes would be dropped for his poor communication