Snap General Election called

Sandydragon

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote:The pro-brexit radio presenter Julia Hartley Brewer who works for Talk Radio, has released details to her Twitter followers about the location of the home of Jolyon Maugham QC, his wife and their small children.

Jolyon Maugham has, for the first time, been told he should take precautions to protect his personal security.
As I’m sure you likely know, Jolyon Maugham has been fighting in the Supreme Court to protect our democratic process.
That’s blatantly inciting violence in the current circumstances, not provable but we all know what she is hinting at.

It’s a breach of the Data Protection Act mind. Will she still find it funny if taken to court?
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Donny osmond »

Sandydragon wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:The pro-brexit radio presenter Julia Hartley Brewer who works for Talk Radio, has released details to her Twitter followers about the location of the home of Jolyon Maugham QC, his wife and their small children.

Jolyon Maugham has, for the first time, been told he should take precautions to protect his personal security.
As I’m sure you likely know, Jolyon Maugham has been fighting in the Supreme Court to protect our democratic process.
That’s blatantly inciting violence in the current circumstances, not provable but we all know what she is hinting at.

It’s a breach of the Data Protection Act mind. Will she still find it funny if taken to court?
I'm wondering how its not in breach of gdpr?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Donny osmond wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:

She linked to a story given freely by the QC talking about the work they were doing renovating a local landmark, it's morally bankrupt, but I don't know it breaches anything beyond that
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Shouldn’t really be surprised I guess. She really is an absolute piece of shit.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Digby wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: That’s blatantly inciting violence in the current circumstances, not provable but we all know what she is hinting at.

She linked to a story given freely by the QC talking about the work they were doing renovating a local landmark, it's morally bankrupt, but I don't know it breaches anything beyond that
If she published personal info, ie name and address then arguably she has.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Labour's manifesto will be 'interesting'....
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote:Labour's manifesto will be 'interesting'....
They seem to be angling to be 3rd, or even 4th biggest party.

If the government lose today; can they bump it up to the ECJ?
(joke, by the way, I know they can't; I'd just apreciate teh irony)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:
Banquo wrote:Labour's manifesto will be 'interesting'....
They seem to be angling to be 3rd, or even 4th biggest party.

If the government lose today; can they bump it up to the ECJ?
(joke, by the way, I know they can't; I'd just apreciate teh irony)
Huge missed opportunity imo for Labour. However, you never know, maybe enough people will believe what its saying on the tin.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Unanimous that it IS judiciable (so England's court decision struck down)

Prorogation is NOT the same as recess

Decision to prorogue is UNlawful

Prorogation is declared null and void, it legally has not happened.
It's now up to the speaker's of each house where to go from here.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Wow, I wasn't expecting that.

I expected unanimous that it was jediciable, majority that it was unlawful, but letting it stand with a slap on the wrist, or putting the ball back in BJ's court; and some guidance for future prorogations 
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

well wow. Constitution will need writing down now. Though they are at pains to point to it being a 'one-off' decision.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I wonder if the PM wishes he'd sent in a witness statement now? Will JRM resign having misled the Queen? In theory it's the sort of thing JRM would have serious issue with
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

That was some judgment. The Court didnt hold back offering a damning and unanimous verdict.

Johnson should of course resign.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Tory MPs are under orders to STFU and wait for the official government position before saying anything, and even then presumably being told they need to rally around that official position
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Is it worth switching the Russia v Samoa game off for this?

Why did they choose Steve Bannon to make the announcement? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
Digby

Post by Digby »

I'm going out on a limb to say tomorrow will be the most watched PMQs ever, this I feel is a bold statement
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Last edited by Which Tyler on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Digby wrote:I'm going out on a limb to say tomorrow will be the most watched PMQs ever, this I feel is a bold statement
There won't be a PMQ tomorrow - that bit needs 3 days notice
Digby

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:
Digby wrote:I'm going out on a limb to say tomorrow will be the most watched PMQs ever, this I feel is a bold statement
There won't be a PMQ tomorrow - that bit needs 3 days notice
Oh dear god, did nobody tell them the courts might rule today and they should be ready to go?

Okay then, tomorrow someone is getting summoned by the Speaker to answer an urgent question, could be anybody, maybe even someone called Boris, and that will be a heavily watched event
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

He should resign obvs- even if this is imo quite a strange turn of events- for at least the crime of having chronic taste in advisors
Digby

Post by Digby »

Who would be next? Gove, Raab, Mogg?
Puja

Post by Puja »

He won't resign. He's from the Trump/Bannon school of brazening it out, where conventions, honour, and shame mean nothing. He'll just keep going and expect that the populace will have forgotten about it 5 minutes later.

I don't see the value in the opposition trying to get him to resign though. Surely no-one wants the next 6 weeks to be wasted on a Conservative leadership contest and, if they were going to do a GNU, they can do that without him resigning.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Oh to be listening in on to the conversation between BJ and Dominic Cummings, now that DC's strategy is making BJ look like the worst thing for democracy in the UK since Oswald Moseley. It'll be like a scene out of The Thick of It.
Digby

Post by Digby »

This may very well do little to the government strategy around Brexit, but it's good news for our democracy that parliament can't be closed to make life easier for the executive