EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Puja »

And don't forget that Tom Wood is always ready to step in when needed.

Puja
Backist Monk
JellyHead

Post by JellyHead »

Can any of them play 12?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Danno wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:I don’t even get how having Hill, Dombrandt, 2 x Willis, 2 x Curry, Underhill is meant to work. And now I hear the mighty Brad Shields is actually showing some form.
Poor old Wilson.
Ludlam's career was awfully short
There’s also Zach Mercer and I think there’s a reasonable chance Will Evans could ‘do a Ludlam’ and put himself back on the radar this season.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scrumhead wrote:
Danno wrote:
Banquo wrote: Poor old Wilson.
Ludlam's career was awfully short
There’s also Zach Mercer and I think there’s a reasonable chance Will Evans could ‘do a Ludlam’ and put himself back on the radar this season.
My ideal world would see Underhill just-about overtaken, with Zach (and maybe Tom Ellis / Josh Bayliss) being in contention, but not favoured for England.

Enough of a carrot to push themselves to improve and keep hungry; but far enough that they only miss a couple of club matches per season. Besides, with that embarassment of riches; if players like that aren't good enough for England, then that's a real position of strength for England.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Yeah, it's going to be a huuuuge list of potentials...

Curry
Curry
Willis
Willis
Underhill
Ludlam
Hill
Dombrandt
Mercer
Clifford
BillyV
Simmonds

And they all play multiple positions to a high standard.

I really do feel like Underhill has really come on recently. Hill is looking like a potential star. Willis is just class. Dombrandt picks some of the best lines... Curry is wonderful on the deck and in support.

Add in our lock situation and things are really looking up for England. Just need some 9s to get some time now.

Mitchell is looking good, Maunder needs time, as do Robson and Vellacott.

Behind are Smith, Ford and Farrell, and even Grayson. We've got to factor in Mallinder coming back and maybe sorting out his yellow streak.

Damn.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:Yeah, it's going to be a huuuuge list of potentials...

Curry
Curry
Willis
Willis
Underhill
Ludlam
Hill
Dombrandt
Mercer
Clifford
BillyV
Simmonds

I really do feel like Underhill has really come on recently. Hill is looking like a potential star. Willis is just class. Dombrandt picks some of the best lines... Curry is wonderful on the deck and in support.

Add in our lock situation and things are really looking up for England. Just need some 9s to get some time now.

Behind are Smith, Ford and Farrell, and even Grayson. We've got to factor in Mallinder coming back and maybe sorting out his yellow streak.

Damn.
Poor Wilson
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:

Curry
Curry
Willis
Willis
Underhill
Ludlam
Hill
Dombrandt
Mercer
Clifford
BillyV
Simmonds

Damn.
Poor Wilson
What do all these have in common (except, perhaps BillyV)?

Wilson is 29. These are the kids coming through (except Billy. Maybe his name doesn't belong there, it was an afterthought...).
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Curry
Curry
Willis
Willis
Underhill
Ludlam
Hill
Dombrandt
Mercer
Clifford
BillyV
Simmonds

Damn.
Poor Wilson

Wilson is 29. These are the kids coming through (except Billy. Maybe his name doesn't belong there, it was an afterthought...).
Glad you clarified :). Though Curry, Ludlam and Underhill might also not belong in a 'coming through' group, given their presence in a World Cup squad. Or even Clifford aged 26 and Sam Simmonds, who have featured and been discarded. You could chuck Joe Simmonds in there tho.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote: Poor Wilson

Glad you clarified :). Though Curry, Ludlam and Underhill might also not belong in a 'coming through' group, given their presence in a World Cup squad. Or even Clifford aged 26 and Sam Simmonds, who have featured and been discarded. You could chuck Joe Simmonds in there tho.
All those are players who will make the next RWC, as none will be above 30 in 2023.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote: Poor Wilson

Joe Simmonds in the back row?

Another one is Ben Earl. He’s not getting much attention but Eddie did take him to SA last year.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:

Joe Simmonds in the back row?

Another one is Ben Earl. He’s not getting much attention but Eddie did take him to SA last year.
Stoms post covered more than the back row
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:

All those are players who will make the next RWC, as none will be above 30 in 2023.

Puja
Sorry must have missed that in Stoms post and misunderstood coming through :). Great to have such a big pool of quality players, I agree. Forgive my mild joke about Wilson.
Last edited by Banquo on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Curry
Curry
Willis
Willis
Underhill
Ludlam
Hill
Dombrandt
Mercer
Clifford
BillyV
Simmonds

Damn.
We could take the league-style anti-rugby thing to a whole new level and just pick an entire team of carrying, linking, breakdown machines. Forget about any sort of structure or winning the set-piece. We can scrape by for pace with Mercer, Simmonds, Clifford, Curry etc. out wide. I mean we've got away with picking Jack Nowell out there. Maybe keep Mako/George/Sink and I think we're good.

Even Ireland would think it's grim and cynical.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Genge, LCD, Sinkler
Ellis, Hill
Underhill, BillyV, BCurry

TCurry, JWillis
Dombrandt, Ludlam
Mercer, Clifford, Simmonds

MakoV, Taylor, Thomas?, Itoje, Lawes
Nowell, Manu, Coka
Last edited by Which Tyler on Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mikey Brown wrote:

Curry
Curry
Willis
Willis
Underhill
Ludlam
Hill
Dombrandt
Mercer
Clifford
BillyV
Simmonds

Damn.
We could take the league-style anti-rugby thing to a whole new level and just pick an entire team of carrying, linking, breakdown machines. Forget about any sort of structure or winning the set-piece. We can scrape by for pace with Mercer, Simmonds, Clifford, Curry etc. out wide. I mean we've got away with picking Jack Nowell out there. Maybe keep Mako/George/Sink and I think we're good.

Well Dombrandt did start out as a 10 and Simmonds is easily quick enough to play centre ...
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Scrumhead wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:

Curry
Curry
Willis
Willis
Underhill
Ludlam
Hill
Dombrandt
Mercer
Clifford
BillyV
Simmonds

Damn.

Well Dombrandt did start out as a 10 and Simmonds is easily quick enough to play centre ...
Simmonds played centre at age grade so he’ll be fine.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Marland Yarde to make his comeback this week.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:Marland Yarde to make his comeback this week.
Really pleased to hear that. He was coming back to his best when he was injured and there is a very good player there if he can be got right.

Puja
Backist Monk
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Good news! Really hope he can get back to full physical capacity, as he’s great to watch when at his best.

I’ve always thought of him as the most naturally gifted of his particular cohort- Watson, Wade, Daly, Nowell etc-, he’s just never managed to pull it all together for an extended period of time.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Timbo wrote:Good news! Really hope he can get back to full physical capacity, as he’s great to watch when at his best.

I’ve always thought of him as the most naturally gifted of his particular cohort- Watson, Wade, Daly, Nowell etc-, he’s just never managed to pull it all together for an extended period of time.
Yeah, he just isn't, though. He's very gifted because he combined power with pace and had a good ability to find the line. But he comes nowhere close to Watson, Wade or Daly in pure ability. I think he's a better finisher than Nowell, for sure, and probably Daly, but not sure about the other 2. And he's a better defender than Daly, Wade, or Nowell...but I'm not sure he's better than Watson.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

You seem very sure of yourself....but yeah, you’re wrong.
Digby

Post by Digby »

In fairness to Stom at Quins they (oddly) tried to use him as a power wing rather than rely on something as daft as skill.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

You don’t see him as a pure strike runner? He certainly wouldn’t pay attention for long enough to do much else.

If another team can make it work then good for them.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mikey Brown wrote:You don’t see him as a pure strike runner? He certainly wouldn’t pay attention for long enough to do much else.

If another team can make it work then good for them.
Yeah, I don't get it.

He's very good at what he does...but I don't see him close to the others in terms of their general work around the park.

He's an good(ish) defender, he runs direct and with power (not saying he's a bosher, his running style is more powerful than smooth. He could probably give Daly a run for his money in pace, but that pace just comes out differently, Daly is more languid), he has an understanding of space and uses his support well.

But if I had to pick a wing to beat 5 men 1v1, I would pick Wade, Daly or Watson above him. If I had to pick a wing to pop up in midfield and make a move stick, I'd choose Daly or Wade (of those listed. I'd just pick May every time for all these roles). If I had to pick a wing to stay aligned for the whole 80 minutes...I wouldn't pick Yarde.

I think he's very good, I just think the names mentioned are substantially better.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »