The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

whatisthejava

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by whatisthejava »

Not sure Glasgow are being craven, if they say anything then everyone and their dug can turn round and tell them that it wouldnt be a problem if they had beaten the french team at home.

For me if ERPC had turned around and said "supporters have bought tickets, thats not fair to punish them" we could of all accepted it, the fact its sarries just makes a little bit harder to swallow.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote: Racing 92 are pursuing this further btw. They want the home QF.
Good. Am surprised how craven our response has been.

Well not really.
how have Glasgow been craven? There were 2 parties involved, Saracens and EPRC, both of who have the right of appeal. Glasgow don't, nor do Racing. Racing have said little publically but have privately made their views very clear to EPRC. Glasgow/SRU have done the same, as have a number of others.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

whatisthejava wrote:
For me if ERPC had turned around and said "supporters have bought tickets, thats not fair to punish them" we could of all accepted it, the fact its sarries just makes a little bit harder to swallow.
nope. That would be a licence to cheat for other teams in future, a nasty precedent.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

septic 9 wrote:
whatisthejava wrote:
nope. That would be a licence to cheat for other teams in future, a nasty precedent.
Dont see it that way but i accept your point, I accept the fine wasnt enough and should have been every penny they made from the game
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Kebble at tight-head with a flanker at lock (despite there being a lock at flanker) behind him?

1. Aki Seiuli (9)
2. Grant Stewart (30)
3. Oli Kebble (45)
4. Rob Harley (228)
5. Tim Swinson (134)
6. Leone Nakarawa (71)
7. Callum Gibbins (C) (45)
8. Ryan Wilson (166)

9. Jamie Dobie (6)
10. Pete Horne (166)
11. Ratu Tagive (10)
12. Nick Grigg (67)
13. Huw Jones (33)
14. Tommy Seymour (141)
15. Glenn Bryce (28)

Replacements

16. Mesu Dolokoto (1)
17. Alex Allan (101)
18. Ewan Mcquillan (0)
19. Andrew Davidson (6)
20. Chris Fusaro (177)
21. Nick Frisby (20)
22. Ruaridh Jackson (161)
23. Niko Matawalu (125)
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Interesting to see Dobie getting the start at scrum-half with Frisby around. Especially with Shiel struggling to crack the Edinburgh 23 and being a few years older. Anyone know what happened to Baretto? Some thought that he was a prospect a few years back before he played a bit of sevens and then I lost track.

I know that's he's a wing now but with matawalu also around it suggests that Frisby might be off at the end of the season.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Very excited to see Dobie start. Big test compared to coming on with the pattern already set.

Shield's lack of game time frustrates me. He still seems to be at the stage where he will only be brought on if the game is already won rather than trusted to make an impact.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Tagive's Scotland inclusion continues to baffle.

Embarrassing finishing.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

The pack are absolutely streamrollering the dragons though.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Started badly and got worse. Leinster are very good (they have the perfect model I think and are very entertaining too) but Glasgow (and especially Pete Horne) killed themselves with handling errors.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Sounded like they’d have got pumped if they had dan carter playing for them. We need to produce more players to compete with the likes of Leinster.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Frisby and the Nuke leaving. Expect a lot more time for Dobie next season.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Maitland not coming north and instead opting for work rate, humility, discipline and honesty.

https://scrummagazine.com/sean-maitland ... -contract/
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:Maitland not coming north and instead opting for work rate, humility, discipline and honesty.

https://scrummagazine.com/sean-maitland ... -contract/

aye, right enough
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1030856113?-18 ... t_news#out
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Ruaridh Jackson retiring. Good luck to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52709651

Always admired him for playing a few minutes at the end of that game where we walloped Australia before playing away in wales for warriors not 24 hours later!
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Great player & a good career. Felt he could have been a much bigger player for both Glasgow & Scotland though. A couple of badly timed injuries, consistency at the right time & a good stretch of game time down south prevented him from making more of himself at international level earlier on.

Best of luck to him.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, wierd career. Started off as a bright exciting talent, got injured at the wrong time and ended it as solid but uninspiring.

If someone could find a clip of that length of the field try he set up Vs Cheetahs (for Gibbons I think), that would be cool.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Yeah, wierd career. Started off as a bright exciting talent, got injured at the wrong time and ended it as solid but uninspiring.

If someone could find a clip of that length of the field try he set up Vs Cheetahs (for Gibbons I think), that would be cool.
I think I saw him make his debut for Glasgow. In a pre season v Newcastle at Burnbrae. In the "B" match. (A match had a debutant called Evans, T.)
Jackson was just a kid, he was way short of the finished product but he seemed to have pretty much all a top level 10 would need - without being an obvious Wilkinson or Carter (Wilkinson was in the Newcastle A team as well).
So hope were high for me but not outrageously so. Unfortunately he then stepped in at the last minute to replace Parks away to Bath, got a lot of hype after making a couple of spectacular interceptions (never had the pace to go all the way). He was over-hyped as always happens to any of our young guys who make one good early appearance!
He was mixed over the next few seasons, sometimes very good indeed, sometimes not so good but never as bad as some of the shit thrown at him, and he got a lot.
I see he gives Lineen a lot of credit for giving him a chance, which is fair enough. What I would say though is when he was no longer being asked to play like Parks (Parks stood deep mostly, and of course kicked really well, Jackson's kicking was never more than adequate on a good day), Jackson came on to a better game. Just before he left for quins he was playing in a Townsend team, playing flat to the gain line and playing the best rugby of his life.

When he came back up here he was clearly better conditioned, much more physical and much more vocal, a much more rounded player. He's been very good for Warriors, a good example of how playing for the right coach, or in the right system can push on or hinder careers. And that sometimes a move develops a player more than if he had not moved - even when he hardly got much game time for Quins.

Best of luck to him. Gin gin.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

septic 9 wrote:
Cameo wrote:Yeah, wierd career. Started off as a bright exciting talent, got injured at the wrong time and ended it as solid but uninspiring.

I think I saw him make his debut for Glasgow. In a pre season v Newcastle at Burnbrae. In the "B" match. (A match had a debutant called Evans, T.)
Jackson was just a kid, he was way short of the finished product but he seemed to have pretty much all a top level 10 would need - without being an obvious Wilkinson or Carter (Wilkinson was in the Newcastle A team as well).
So hope were high for me but not outrageously so. Unfortunately he then stepped in at the last minute to replace Parks away to Bath, got a lot of hype after making a couple of spectacular interceptions (never had the pace to go all the way). He was over-hyped as always happens to any of our young guys who make one good early appearance!
He was mixed over the next few seasons, sometimes very good indeed, sometimes not so good but never as bad as some of the shit thrown at him, and he got a lot.
I see he gives Lineen a lot of credit for giving him a chance, which is fair enough. What I would say though is when he was no longer being asked to play like Parks (Parks stood deep mostly, and of course kicked really well, Jackson's kicking was never more than adequate on a good day), Jackson came on to a better game. Just before he left for quins he was playing in a Townsend team, playing flat to the gain line and playing the best rugby of his life.

When he came back up here he was clearly better conditioned, much more physical and much more vocal, a much more rounded player. He's been very good for Warriors, a good example of how playing for the right coach, or in the right system can push on or hinder careers. And that sometimes a move develops a player more than if he had not moved - even when he hardly got much game time for Quins.

Best of luck to him. Gin gin.
Good assessment. In a career as short as that of a professional rugby player a lot of it is down to luck - getting injured at the "right" time, playing for the right coach, moving to teams when they're hitting their peaks and of course not being a Glasgow based 10/15 when Hogg & Russell exist...

This does leave Glasgow embarrassingly short at 15 again. When are they going to promote/sign a 15?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Gibbins leaving. Not known where.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Lucky they've got that massive stockpile of Scottish 7s.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

After an amazing first year he does seem to have faded a bit. Any chance of an Edinburgh 7 (or Crosbie) moving over?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Might see Barclay pick up a 1 year deal?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Cameo wrote:After an amazing first year he does seem to have faded a bit. Any chance of an Edinburgh 7 (or Crosbie) moving over?
Leaves Glasgow with a first choice backrow of Wilson, Gordon and Faegerson, with Harley, Fusaro and Ashe as backups I guess.

Edinburgh have Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Mata, Crosbie and Haining backed up by Boyle and Darge coming through and the young lad we just signed from the Leicester academy. Tell you what, we can let Glasgow have Miller or Smith. Seen fair?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

switchskier wrote:
Cameo wrote:After an amazing first year he does seem to have faded a bit. Any chance of an Edinburgh 7 (or Crosbie) moving over?
Leaves Glasgow with a first choice backrow of Wilson, Gordon and Faegerson, with Harley, Fusaro and Ashe as backups I guess.

Edinburgh have Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Mata, Crosbie and Haining backed up by Boyle and Darge coming through and the young lad we just signed from the Leicester academy. Tell you what, we can let Glasgow have Miller or Smith. Seen fair?
Matt Smith was a loan deal from Glasgow IIRC. Glasgow don't want him from what I hear. Shit situation to be in for the guy but I don't think he's got much to bring to the top-flight rugby table.

Barclay on a 1 year deal to develop & rotate with Gordon would be a good signing.