The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Mikey Brown

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

If Gordon is ready to step up that would be great. Haven’t seen much of him but looks a talent.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
switchskier wrote:
Cameo wrote:After an amazing first year he does seem to have faded a bit. Any chance of an Edinburgh 7 (or Crosbie) moving over?
Leaves Glasgow with a first choice backrow of Wilson, Gordon and Faegerson, with Harley, Fusaro and Ashe as backups I guess.

Edinburgh have Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Mata, Crosbie and Haining backed up by Boyle and Darge coming through and the young lad we just signed from the Leicester academy. Tell you what, we can let Glasgow have Miller or Smith. Seen fair?
Matt Smith was a loan deal from Glasgow IIRC. Glasgow don't want him from what I hear. Shit situation to be in for the guy but I don't think he's got much to bring to the top-flight rugby table.

Barclay on a 1 year deal to develop & rotate with Gordon would be a good signing.
Barclay is done at this level as a player. Harley is now a second row who might move to 6 as a sub if Warriors have too many back row injuries. If Harely is considered a 6 again primarily, they are desperately short at lock, unless Nakawara or Swinson or both re-sign (only Cummings, McDonald and Davidson and R Gray signed up)
Smith had a lot to offer, never let Glasgow down in the chances he got but Rennie didn't take to him for some reason and froze him out. With Gibbons leaving and losing out of both Darge and Boyle to Edinburgh that is looking like a very bad bit of business unless Danny Wilson now pulls a rabbit out of the hat - he's been left with a shambles recruitment wise
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

I think it’s going to be a weird season next time out. The virus has obviously affected succession planning in terms of budget in particular. I hope it’s going to be an opportunity that allows some young lads, who might not otherwise have got the chance, to come through.

We can see how the academies are progressing!
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

.......and Swinson has just announced his retirement. Fantastic servant for Glasgow, brought a much needed edge and work rate
Big D

Post by Big D »

Gibbons is at that funny age for contracts 31/32 - 32 early in the new season. It is a tough one for clubs because giving 2-3 year deals at that age is a risk.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Always liked Swinson’s attitude, although I think his major contribution to Scottish rugby could well be the players’ union. Improved engagement and what have you.

Also good luck to Gibbons - very good player. Poor example for a lockdown haircut tho.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

This guy would be a decent full back for Glasgow - probably a few bargains to be had if they are breaking up los Jaguares.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/emiliano ... yers-leave
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:This guy would be a decent full back for Glasgow - probably a few bargains to be had if they are breaking up los Jaguares.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/emiliano ... yers-leave
oh he would but we Glasgow won't be in the same league salary wise for a guy like that

Most teams usually have their budgets allocated by now (in fact months ago) but there may be some space under the CV situation (deals not being confirmed for existing players, etc etc) but if most are spent up in Eng and France for next season it is possible that there might be some one year contracts to be picked up in Scotland - but both teams usually look a level down, for cost reasons but also they want to avoid where possible losing players to national teams
Big D

Post by Big D »

I know there are signings (and possibly re-signings) to come but christ the squad is looking thin.

Front row looks ok.

3 senior second rows under contract.

2 senior 10's plus Horne which is probably enough-ish.

Back row and back 3 look very bland.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote:I know there are signings (and possibly re-signings) to come but christ the squad is looking thin.

Front row looks ok.

3 senior second rows under contract.

2 senior 10's plus Horne which is probably enough-ish.

Back row and back 3 look very bland.
Fine balance to be strick between holding off on signings until it is financially prudent to do so and missing the boat. Who exactly is going to play full-back?

You'd think it would be a chance for some youngsters to put their hands up, but not sure that I see many actually breaking through.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I hope that they have some signings that they are holding off announcing until they know what they are signing them for. Rennie intimated as much. I can see the logic for it very much to be focused on youngsters but some positions there just aren't the numbers at the moment.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: ine balance to be strick between holding off on signings until it is financially prudent to do so and missing the boat. Who exactly is going to play full-back?

You'd think it would be a chance for some youngsters to put their hands up, but not sure that I see many actually breaking through.
would need to be quite something for a youngster to be starting full back given none of the young hopefuls are on a full contract or have started a game, don't think even benched
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:I hope that they have some signings that they are holding off announcing until they know what they are signing them for. Rennie intimated as much. I can see the logic for it very much to be focused on youngsters but some positions there just aren't the numbers at the moment.
kind of this. If they are going for youngsters then cash isn't an issue TBH, they will be on small beer and none of the candidates in the backs are going to go anywhere else for huge money. After Edinburgh signed Davidson, of they get Sykes as well there isn't much left in the way of ready to step up talent in the back 5 of the pack either

A problem Glasgow have is the way Rennie heralded 6 or 7 new signings the last couple of seasons and got everyone excited. Turned out a bit different - it included players already announced, no-one of note. Hence there is a bit of "heard it all before" about what Rennie said.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote:
switchskier wrote: ine balance to be strick between holding off on signings until it is financially prudent to do so and missing the boat. Who exactly is going to play full-back?

would need to be quite something for a youngster to be starting full back given none of the young hopefuls are on a full contract or have started a game, don't think even benched
Well quite, though I think that there is a scope for younger players to nail down a starting slot in other positions. McDowell at centre certainly and feels like there's scope for a young backrow to step up (Flockhart or Gordon). Think that there should be a space on the wing too if Seymour does end up playing fullback mostly.

Is Bryce still at Glasgow? What happened to the U20 full back from a couple of seasons ago, Dewhirst I think? Thought he had a contract.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Cameo wrote:I hope that they have some signings that they are holding off announcing until they know what they are signing them for. Rennie intimated as much. I can see the logic for it very much to be focused on youngsters but some positions there just aren't the numbers at the moment.
kind of this. If they are going for youngsters then cash isn't an issue TBH, they will be on small beer and none of the candidates in the backs are going to go anywhere else for huge money. After Edinburgh signed Davidson, of they get Sykes as well there isn't much left in the way of ready to step up talent in the back 5 of the pack either

A problem Glasgow have is the way Rennie heralded 6 or 7 new signings the last couple of seasons and got everyone excited. Turned out a bit different - it included players already announced, no-one of note. Hence there is a bit of "heard it all before" about what Rennie said.
On the whole Glasgows recruitment over the last year or two seems pretty strange. Admittedly we are yet to see what happens this summer. They should have a little bit of cash available but they need at least a second row and a back row (if not 2), maybe a 10 and probably 2 back row players to strengthen a likely "1st choice" 23 other wise it is looking pretty weak. That would be counting Naka as not being resigned as yet.

There seems to be clamour for Crosbie to move a long the M8 but I am not sure that is what is best at the moment as there will likely be a lot of rugby crammed in over the next season. Edinburgh are stockpiling young talent in the back 5 of the scrum but it isn't hard to see a bit of a turnover next summer. McKenzie will likely leave in 21 and will probably be phased out so long as Carmichael stays fit. In the back row Ritchie, Watson, Mata, Haining (I think), Kunuvula hasn't worked out either. So the younger guys who have been signed up this summer could all be well placed for the 21/22 season. From a national POV I trust Cockers with the young forwards more than Wilson.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

switchskier wrote:
septic 9 wrote:

Well quite, though I think that there is a scope for younger players to nail down a starting slot in other positions. McDowell at centre certainly and feels like there's scope for a young backrow to step up (Flockhart or Gordon). Think that there should be a space on the wing too if Seymour does end up playing fullback mostly.

Is Bryce still at Glasgow? What happened to the U20 full back from a couple of seasons ago, Dewhirst I think? Thought he had a contract.
I'm sure I've heard commentators mention McDowell playing fullback at some point. Anyone know if that's a recent thing? I can't say he strikes me as a 15 from what I've seen of him, but with Johnson and Horne still available to play 12 would he be considered an option?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Hamish Bain to Glasgow. Been at Nice for 2 years
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Hamish Bain to Glasgow. Been at Nice for 2 years
Don't think I've ever seen him play. Wasn't he behind Davidson in the age groups?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

switchskier wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Hamish Bain to Glasgow. Been at Nice for 2 years
Don't think I've ever seen him play. Wasn't he behind Davidson in the age groups?
Yup but who knows what 2 seasons in France could have done for him.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Anyone see this?

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-prov ... 20-season/

How much effort do Glasgow put into preparing for a two game season (which can only be extended if Ulster completely collapse)
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Anyone see this?

How much effort do Glasgow put into preparing for a two game season (which can only be extended if Ulster completely collapse)
it would be 2 games on top of the games already played, and thus Edinburgh and Glasgow would play each other 4 times this season. If that is right, someone' needs shooting.

The dates and Edin-Glas matches have been floated for ages, but not as league games. Just a way of getting a couple of games as a way of re-starting pro rugby, a couple of games on TV in an empty Murrayfield (no change really) which may be needed (as with other sports) to try and meet some broadcasting and sponsorship commitments- or face claw back.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

septic 9 wrote:
Cameo wrote:Anyone see this?

it would be 2 games on top of the games already played, and thus Edinburgh and Glasgow would play each other 4 times this season. If that is right, someone' needs shooting.

The dates and Edin-Glas matches have been floated for ages, but not as league games. Just a way of getting a couple of games as a way of re-starting pro rugby, a couple of games on TV in an empty Murrayfield (no change really) which may be needed (as with other sports) to try and meet some broadcasting and sponsorship commitments- or face claw back.
official now. Made up fixtures. What a shambles of an organisation Pro14 is.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Hope all well.

So Edinburgh, Munster, Ulster and Leinster in the semis.

Ulster will be given at least one game against an Irish reserve team to lock down their semi.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Nakarawa resigns for an extra season which is good. I guess it gives him the option of one last payday too.

Also Turner has re-upped as well which seems like an obvious move for them to make
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mat Smith has retired?
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.