Snap General Election called

Puja

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote: Surely in politics you sometimes have to hold your nose and try and change from within. See Starmer.
Given Scotland's current lack of power in both the UK generally and the Conservative party specifically, what change do you think she could accomplish by lending her face and reputation to this lot?

Puja
Well it might help quell independence calls for a start. It would also be a welcome addition to 'this lot' who like it or lump are likely to be in power for at least 4 more years.
But on the flip side, she would be effectively endorsing the policies of 'this lot' without having any measurable power or influence (beyond the threat of resigning, which would lose some of its sting the second time around) and I don't know how much she would influence the calls for independence if she just came back to be the face of Boris's Conservatives.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:
Given Scotland's current lack of power in both the UK generally and the Conservative party specifically, what change do you think she could accomplish by lending her face and reputation to this lot?

Puja
Well it might help quell independence calls for a start. It would also be a welcome addition to 'this lot' who like it or lump are likely to be in power for at least 4 more years.
But on the flip side, she would be effectively endorsing the policies of 'this lot' without having any measurable power or influence (beyond the threat of resigning, which would lose some of its sting the second time around) and I don't know how much she would influence the calls for independence if she just came back to be the face of Boris's Conservatives.

Puja
Her choice, but public service is just that and one assumes she entered it to make a difference rather than watch from the sidelines.- its a moot point in all likelihood- my personal preference would be to have her back more prominently in UK politics. Mind, I've only just spotted she remains an MSP!

Just read she is to receive a peerage and will stand in at FMQ's, not sure if true.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Ian Botham, the famous idiot and tax dodger extraordinaire, is to head to the Lords
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:Ian Botham, the famous idiot and tax dodger extraordinaire, is to head to the Lords
You forgot the reason he's heading to the Lords...

Lives in Spain, is a Brexit supporter...
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:Ian Botham, the famous idiot and tax dodger extraordinaire, is to head to the Lords

Doesn't avail himself of the facts, prefers to bumble on stating a belief in a positive outcome no matter the situation. Almost reminds of someone.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:

Doesn't avail himself of the facts, prefers to bumble on stating a belief in a positive outcome no matter the situation. Almost reminds of someone.
Stuart Barnes is yet to acquire any honours though.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote: Well it might help quell independence calls for a start. It would also be a welcome addition to 'this lot' who like it or lump are likely to be in power for at least 4 more years.

Puja
Her choice, but public service is just that and one assumes she entered it to make a difference rather than watch from the sidelines.- its a moot point in all likelihood- my personal preference would be to have her back more prominently in UK politics. Mind, I've only just spotted she remains an MSP!

Just read she is to receive a peerage and will stand in at FMQ's, not sure if true.
Yes, she’s going to the Lords. A cynic might suggest, to get her out of the way.
It has been confirmed that Douglas Ross is to stand for election as Carlaw’s replacement, but so far he is the only candidate to declare, making it look even more like Central Office is pulling the strings. I expect they will get a couple of other willing hands to stand so that they can have something that looks like an election.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Tax dodger?
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Hard to see what Botham could contribute to the HoL.

How can you give someone a gong for supporting a deeply divisive policy, where the full impact is yet to be felt and may turn out to be hugely damaging?

Sporting deeds and raising money for charities is one thing, but this??

And what has Jo Johnson done to get a Lordship? PM's brother is surely incidental.....

If it wasnt clear before, it should be clear by now. Johnson & Co are basically taking the piss. They can do it so they will.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Tax dodger?
Living abroad to reduce tax liability. Hardly new thinking, but an odd thing to promote into the House of Lords, or at least it should be
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Tax dodger?
Living abroad to reduce tax liability. Hardly new thinking, but an odd thing to promote into the House of Lords, or at least it should be
Is that why he lives abroad?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: Tax dodger?
I don't know if he is still based overseas, but certainly for a long period he was very careful to limit the number of days in the UK lest he become liable for paying tax.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
I don't know if he is still based overseas, but certainly for a long period he was very careful to limit the number of days in the UK lest he become liable for paying tax.
Oh I didn't know that, but then I haven't done the research you have. He lives in Almeria now.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Don't you have to be a UK resident to sit in the Lords?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:Don't you have to be a UK resident to sit in the Lords?
Don’t know that either. He may have two homes in any case. Wiki isn’t the best source :D
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Don't you have to be a UK resident to sit in the Lords?
Don’t know that either. He may have two homes in any case. Wiki isn’t the best source :D
He has in the past had to be careful about the number of games he came over to commentate on because it would have put him over the top, especially once he'd spent a certain amount of golfing, family and infidelity time in the country already.

You have to be UK resident and paying tax in the UK to be nominated for the Lords, but I suspect you could do that for a very brief period, I don't think that's an ongoing requirement of membership.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010 states that all members of both the commons and the lords will be treated as domiciled for tax purposes.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Stones of granite wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

Yes, she’s going to the Lords. A cynic might suggest, to get her out of the way.
It has been confirmed that Douglas Ross is to stand for election as Carlaw’s replacement, but so far he is the only candidate to declare, making it look even more like Central Office is pulling the strings. I expect they will get a couple of other willing hands to stand so that they can have something that looks like an election.
I know it's poor form to quote yourself, but I may be the only one who cares about this.

The Scottish Tories will, in fact, have a coronation with Douglas Ross remaining unopposed at the deadline today.

I suppose it may represent some kind of progress for the SC&U to appoint a career politician as leader, to replace a failed used-car salesman, but he will remain at Westminster until the Tories can find a Holyrood seat for him and in the meantime Ruth Davidson will fill in for him. When she's not at the Lord's, I guess.

It will be interesting to see how his relationship with Bluffer Boris works out. He has been described in the press as "close to the Prime Minister", but backed Remain, and quit his Government post over the Barnard Castle fiasco. I'm kind of wondering if the latter was part of the SC&U long term plan for him to distance himself from Bluffer to give him some credibility with the Scottish Electorate. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Chatting to my nephew this morning about his A-level results and he's a little mystified and a little hacked off. He was contacted early doors by his 1st choice uni, i.e. today before he got his results, to say they'd take him whatever so in a sense it doesn't matter, but whilst he was a little worried he'd get an AAB rather than AAA he was expecting the possible B in the subject he scored lowest in for his mocks, in the event he did get an AAB but the B came in his thus far highest rated subject and one it makes no sense he was downgraded in, frankly he was an A* in that subject based on his mock and teacher assessments to date so heaven knows have they've adjusted for this. Had he gotten the B in the subject that was maybe a borderline A I think he'd have left it alone, especially with his 1st choice Uni saying he could go there whatever, but given the shock in which subject was downgraded I'm sure he'll appeal.

We've made a right fecking foul up of these exam gradings, both the processes and communications have been miserably bad, not even a C. And they spent a lot of time planning to still be this shit. Now there are grades coming out that make no sense, and nobody has any ideal what the rules are for appealing because of the late flipping and counter flipping by the Scottish and then UK governments
Digby

Post by Digby »

Just outstanding work from Cummings, Boris and Williamson these last few days. They had a bad plan which was executed badly with piss poor communication.

Anyone think Williamson is there for any reason but to get a kicking over GCSE results and then the return to school before being fired?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Digby wrote:Just outstanding work from Cummings, Boris and Williamson these last few days. They had a bad plan which was executed badly with piss poor communication.

Anyone think Williamson is there for any reason but to get a kicking over GCSE results and then the return to school before being fired?
Basically, this. He is (politically) a dead man walking.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote:
Digby wrote:Just outstanding work from Cummings, Boris and Williamson these last few days. They had a bad plan which was executed badly with piss poor communication.

This government doesn't do sorry, and it rarely does resignations - unless someone falls out with Johnson/Cummings. I think Williamson can fuck up as much as he likes as long as those two are happy with him. See Hancock, Patel, Grayling...
Digby

Post by Digby »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:

This government doesn't do sorry, and it rarely does resignations - unless someone falls out with Johnson/Cummings. I think Williamson can fuck up as much as he likes as long as those two are happy with him. See Hancock, Patel, Grayling...
See Cummings for their best example of just not giving a shit how they behave
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Digby wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: Basically, this. He is (politically) a dead man walking.
Yep. Bulletproof, or if not quite that then zombie-like in his ability to take bullets and carry on.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Digby wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: This government doesn't do sorry, and it rarely does resignations - unless someone falls out with Johnson/Cummings. I think Williamson can fuck up as much as he likes as long as those two are happy with him. See Hancock, Patel, Grayling...
Yep. Bulletproof, or if not quite that then zombie-like in his ability to take bullets and carry on.
or now letting Javid take a senior advisory position at a JPs having very recently held something of a senior position in government with some leanings toward finance.

I get Boris might want to help Sajid out after the drama over the advisors, but this really isn't appropriate behaviour