The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Cameo »

septic 9 wrote:never remotely looked like getting a BP.
And never really cruising. Losing a player can gee up a team. Cast your mind back a season or so to a Glasgow Scarlets game at Scotstoun. Player red carded, his team won.

Glasgow game plan has changed ( more conservative ), needs tweaking and hasn't bedded in fully yet. Hope that's a big improvement waiting to happen as on that form Glasgow will struggle to reach play offs
I was fairly confident after the second try. Loads of time Vs 14 men and the lineout drive and scrum going well. Glasgow weren't 17-0 down in that game a couple of seasons ago.

Even in simple terms of winning the game, bonus point or not, I think kicking the penalty is the wrong call. Keep the pressure on. Even if they didn't score, another 5 mins in their 22 would have been as valuable as the three points.

Something to build on anyway.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Thomson getting out-sixed by Wilson at about 24 seconds here made me laugh. Didn't spot it the first time. The look he gives him.

switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mikey Brown wrote:Thomson getting out-sixed by Wilson at about 24 seconds here made me laugh. Didn't spot it the first time. The look he gives him.

Good spot. Wilson to start in the autumn.

No idea what Niko was doing for the Stef evans chance. He got very lucky that Evans dropped it as he left it way too late to get involved there
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

switchskier wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Thomson getting out-sixed by Wilson at about 24 seconds here made me laugh. Didn't spot it the first time. The look he gives him.

Good spot. Wilson to start in the autumn.

No idea what Niko was doing for the Stef evans chance. He got very lucky that Evans dropped it as he left it way too late to get involved there
Haha, I saw that, he seemed to drop almost behind his own try line in order not to commit!
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Glasgow report their first Coronavirus case at the club. One player and 2 contacts (players I think) isolating. Won't affect this week's game. No names released (privacy) but might be obvious when team announced shortly
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I still can't believe how young Dobie looks. Could get a million or so box-kicks out of him in the next 15 years.

Turner consistently such a handful in the loose now, not that that is what we're lacking for Scotland at hooker or anything.
AL.

Post by AL. »

Commentary is painful.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

AL. wrote:Commentary is painful.
so were Glasgow after 25mins. Should have been out of sight, blew it big time
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Only saw the highlights but Dobie does look sharp. Realistically Glasgow shouldn't keep Price, Horne and Dobie for much longer. They might soon be Scotland's top 3 scrum halves.
ARM

Post by ARM »

This is going to be one long season for Glasgow. Three years of underinvestment coming home to roost.

Obviously the knock on effects of the pandemic are having had an impact but this started long before.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, real learning season it seems. Have to hope they develop some players from it.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

I felt they were holding back the cheque book for Danny Wilson as they knew rennie was moving on but the pandemic stopped it.

Reckon a bad season for Edinburgh and Glasgow and then a decent spending spree over the summer.

Squeaking both into champions league looks rather problematic right now.
Big D

Post by Big D »

whatisthejava wrote:I felt they were holding back the cheque book for Danny Wilson as they knew rennie was moving on but the pandemic stopped it.

Reckon a bad season for Edinburgh and Glasgow and then a decent spending spree over the summer.

Squeaking both into champions league looks rather problematic right now.
I don't think we will ever see the pro sides have any significant spending spree. The money isn't there, yes there was an injection of cash but that needs to be used for the long term stability of the game too (and probably plugging losses).

Edinburgh should have cash freed up if/when Mata, Nel and Watson leave. Not sure how long Nel has left.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

With Russell, Hogg, Gray, Mata, Nell, Barclay off the pay roll i reckon pro teams are well below the budget but with the pandemic they will be getting hit hard

If the vacine gets rolled out and we get back to normalcy before the end of the season i think there will be room for some spending
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

whatisthejava wrote:With Russell, Hogg, Gray, Mata, Nell, Barclay off the pay roll i reckon pro teams are well below the budget but with the pandemic they will be getting hit hard

If the vacine gets rolled out and we get back to normalcy before the end of the season i think there will be room for some spending
here's a wee forecast. There will be no normalcy this season. Currently we will be looking at budgets cuts already implemented (all players have had 25% pay cuts) being extended and possibly deepened. Unlike the RFU we did not immediately disband our 7s team but are shedding players, either let go or allocated to make up the smaller pro team squads.
Steps are being taken to try to stop us getting into the debt levels the old blazers got us into. We are really struggling. We are far from the only union struggling but we are not the exception from major cuts either.
The only room for spending will be by releasing someone else, and it will need to be a trade down salary wise.

A bit if realism which I appreciate may not be welcome
Big D

Post by Big D »

whatisthejava wrote:With Russell, Hogg, Gray, Mata, Nell, Barclay off the pay roll i reckon pro teams are well below the budget but with the pandemic they will be getting hit hard

Through being on the committee of a club at the time I was at the SGM maybe 4 years ago.

Dobson straightforwardly said we have limited budget and we can't match wage inflation.

The above players leaving are balanced by new deals handed out to other players who are now internationals. There may be a few signings but very very few if any big money signings.
Adder

Post by Adder »

General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Ah well. Did anyone watch? Any signs of promise?
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Watched, was quite close and then Munster pulled away a wee bit.

Thought the ref was perhaps a little unwilling to give a penalty try and 4 pens in the red zone by Munster but we got a try and a yellow card.

Then 2 mins later Wilson dives over and gets carded.

Fact is both Glasgow and Edinburgh are well understrength

Long season although can’t see where either team scrapes a cc spot.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, dumb from Wilson. First 60 mins was decent and Ithibk Bryce is an underrated player at fullback.

Thing is, Glasgow just seem to be hoping for big things from workmanlike players. Even people like Seymour and Matawalu just don't quite have the pace they used to that can create something from nothing.

Munster are a good team though.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

whatisthejava wrote:Watched, was quite close and then Munster pulled away a wee bit.

Thought the ref was perhaps a little unwilling to give a penalty try and 4 pens in the red zone by Munster but we got a try and a yellow card.

Then 2 mins later Wilson dives over and gets carded.

Fact is both Glasgow and Edinburgh are well understrength

Long season although can’t see where either team scrapes a cc spot.
it was a stone wall pen try and YC at 2nd attempt. I can remember a good man of Munster giving same against Glasgow (away to Bath) on first offence.
If you catch a replay, watch the incident where Seymour gets crocked. His head whiplashes on to the ground as he goes down, probably the concussive effect, but in the tackle, while Scannell does try to wrap he goes high and initial contact is shoulder to head, and Seymour goes down like a sack of tatties.
Also suggestions of punches thrown and connecting after Wilson's stupid YC offence, but not even looked at.

Better side won on the night, no doubt about that. Glasgow hung in well for an hour, but they simply do not have the depth to sustain 22 players missing. And altho they try hard, back row like Scotland's simply was under powered compared to the opposition. Powder puff.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

A decent if unspectacular win. From what I saw Kennedy and McDonald were good.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Apparently Glasgow are looking at a young SQ 10 from Munster.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:Apparently Glasgow are looking at a young SQ 10 from Munster.
the lad who started against them is apparently SQ. I doubt they have any chance of signing him, Given Sexton is done, the rest Burns to nail a squad place and the elder Byrne looking out of his depth, him and the younger Byrne look to be Ireland's future at 10. Both will be stitched up on deals soon enough that we can't afford.

Logical hat off, optimist's on. He'd be a great signing