EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Puja »

TheNomad wrote:Some interesting developments in the last few months really

The pack is looking pretty established now, though the there's jockeying for who starts I suppose i.e. Genge playing really well IMO

But in the backs I think Eddie could, if he wanted, shake it up a bit

Youngs playing well...but Randall looks arguably the next best
Plenty of established players not really enhancing their reputation, or at least, standing still
Smith, Simmonds still going well
Redpath improving all the time
Lawrence knocking on the door
Odogwu blasting through it
Malins looking good before injury

Given how average (whether through tactics or otherwise) the backs looked, and seeing how much lead time there is to the next world cup, I would love it if Eddie tried some new combinations. There are some excellent young players there who look ready
I would also add PCokanasiga, Steward, and Parton, probably not this immediate squad, but if there's both a Lions tour and an England tour in the summer, I'd expect them to go with England.

Puja
Backist Monk
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

I've not seen much of PCok or Parton (though I understand the latter played well on the weekend) but Steward is a no brainer.

Certainly given the amount of kicking going on, someone that is so unbelievably good under the high ball is a great option to have.

The question is whether Eddie (outside of having his hand forced because of Lions call ups or injuries) is prepared to give them a go
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

What’s the latest on Joe Cokanasiga by the way? Did he get injured again?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:

The pack is looking pretty established now, though the there's jockeying for who starts I suppose i.e. Genge playing really well IMO

Plenty of established players not really enhancing their reputation, or at least, standing still

Given how average (whether through tactics or otherwise) the backs looked, and seeing how much lead time there is to the next world cup, I would love it if Eddie tried some new combinations. There are some excellent young players there who look ready
I would also add PCokanasiga, Steward, and Parton, probably not this immediate squad, but if there's both a Lions tour and an England tour in the summer, I'd expect them to go with England.

Puja
Has Phil Cokanasiga played a Premiership game yet this season? I know we need 12s but it would be hugely generous to get him involved at this stage.

Parton looked excellent against Quins, but context is key there ... it was his first start this season so I’d like to see him against better opposition before getting him into the England camp.

Steward - absolutely yes. He really took his chance in the second half of last season and doesn’t look at all out of place as a first choice 15 for Tigers. I’d be very happy to see him included.

I love watching Malins but he is very injury prone and with Piutau now back from his injury, he will likely drop down to second choice at Bristol. Not the ideal recipe to challenge for an England start.

When is the squad named?
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Has Phil Cokanasiga played a Premiership game yet this season? I know we need 12s but it would be hugely generous to get him involved at this stage.

Parton looked excellent against Quins, but context is key there ... it was his first start this season so I’d like to see him against better opposition before getting him into the England camp.

Steward - absolutely yes. He really took his chance in the second half of last season and doesn’t look at all out of place as a first choice 15 for Tigers. I’d be very happy to see him included.

I love watching Malins but he is very injury prone and with Piutau now back from his injury, he will likely drop down to second choice at Bristol. Not the ideal recipe to challenge for an England start.

When is the squad named?
No. He started the two Euro games, but not played Prem yet.

And agree on Parton. He's played in every game, and started the last 3 (2 Euro 1 Prem), but it's a bit quick to call him in.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

When is the squad named?

And agree on Parton. He's played in every game, and started the last 3 (2 Euro 1 Prem), but it's a bit quick to call him in.
No Prem games, but Irish have had 2 COVID cancellations and then one game where PCoka was out because of COVID himself since the Euro games.

In fairness, I did say they were for the Lions summer rather than the immediate EPS.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

A thought I had this morning - who will play 18 in the first game against Scotland? Sinckler is ruled out, so presumably Stuart will play 3 and Williams is usually the next cab off the rank, but I wonder if his "amusing" views on conspiracies might make him a risk that Eddie won't want to have in a COVID bubble?

Could be a chance to dash the Welsh hopes over Joe Heyes? I don't know that he's quite ready for international level yet, but I'm not sure who the other options are and I wouldn't mind fending off another Celtic poach.

Puja
Backist Monk
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Puja wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:

When is the squad named?

No Prem games, but Irish have had 2 COVID cancellations and then one game where PCoka was out because of COVID himself since the Euro games.

In fairness, I did say they were for the Lions summer rather than the immediate EPS.

Puja
Totally get that. There could well be lots of opportunities, if it goes ahead of course.

Coka's definitely one to watch out for, and exposure to the senior environment wouldn't be a bad thing, though right now clear Meakes out and nail the starting shirt and hopefully chances will come. He's got the raw talent. As with others, exposure to the top level with club is what's needed.

Parton tore up in the Champ last season. Similarly needs to nail the 15 shirt and continue top level exposure. Iron out little things like carrying in the wrong, or rather unnatural, hand, but again raw talent is there is.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Puja wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:

Puja
Totally get that. There could well be lots of opportunities, if it goes ahead of course.

Coka's definitely one to watch out for, and exposure to the senior environment wouldn't be a bad thing, though right now clear Meakes out and nail the starting shirt and hopefully chances will come. He's got the raw talent. As with others, exposure to the top level with club is what's needed.

Parton tore up in the Champ last season. Similarly needs to nail the 15 shirt and continue top level exposure. Iron out little things like carrying in the wrong, or rather unnatural, hand, but again raw talent is there is.
Meakes is leaving Irish in March at the very latest - he's signed a contract to join LA in MLR and their season starts March 20th - so that will open up space.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Jason Ryles has made the understandable decision that he doesn't want to relocate from Australia to Covidsville for the 6N.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55711186

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote:Jason Ryles has made the understandable decision that he doesn't want to relocate from Australia to Covidsville for the 6N.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55711186

Puja
Yeah must be awful for him to be in the warm in a country with minimal Covid impact. If I was him I'd be doing the same. Actually I just wish I was in Australia again, beer in hand...
Digby

Post by Digby »

Which is fine, and we knew there'd be that risk when hiring him. I hope we're getting some value in analysis and planning
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Looks like redpath has been called up by scotland.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Odogwu going to be named in the 6n squad according to the mail...
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

twitchy wrote:Looks like redpath has been called up by scotland.
FFS. I really like the look of him
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

It occurs to me that with the way we play, there seems little benefit in another playmaker at 12.

I wonder if there's sense in trying to get Lawrence to focus on that position?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

TheNomad wrote:It occurs to me that with the way we play, there seems little benefit in another playmaker at 12.

I wonder if there's sense in trying to get Lawrence to focus on that position?
?

So you're saying Farrell is a completely empty shirt? I don't love him, but he's a lot more than that.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

That's not what I said in any way

What I'm saying is that if our tactics are to kick a lot of ball away, and play it through the hands comparatively less often, we'd be better off with quicker, heavier carrying centers than ball players
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

TheNomad wrote:That's not what I said in any way

What I'm saying is that if our tactics are to kick a lot of ball away, and play it through the hands comparatively less often, we'd be better off with quicker, heavier carrying centers than ball players
Even then, we instantly lose a major kicking option?
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Raggs wrote:Odogwu going to be named in the 6n squad according to the mail...
England or italy's?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

twitchy wrote:
England or italy's?
England.
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:
England or italy's?
England's apparently. I'm in favour - there's been far worse options if we're looking for a powerful 13 to pretend to be Manu.

Shame about Redpath, although I can't blame him - he'd struggle to get past Fazlet for England, whereas he'll go straight into the Scotland XV.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:
England or italy's?
England's apparently. I'm in favour - there's been far worse options if we're looking for a powerful 13 to pretend to be Manu.

Shame about Redpath, although I can't blame him - he'd struggle to get past Fazlet for England, whereas he'll go straight into the Scotland XV.

Puja
He's got to fight his way past the human twiglet Duncan Taylor first.

It would seem crazy seeing Udogwu in an England shirt for some reason. I've had him down as a talented, but very erratic and inconsistent, winger for what feels like years and now he's suddenly looking very competent at all the boring stuff now too, even if he's a bit unorthodox.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:
England or italy's?

Puja

It would seem crazy seeing Udogwu in an England shirt for some reason. I've had him down as a talented, but very erratic and inconsistent, winger for what feels like years and now he's suddenly looking very competent at all the boring stuff now too, even if he's a bit unorthodox.
I know what you mean, he burst to prominence ages ago with Tigers in the 7s, then off to Sale, now Wasps, but he's only 23 (soon 24), and has had some bad luck with injury.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Raggs wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

I know what you mean, he burst to prominence ages ago with Tigers in the 7s, then off to Sale, now Wasps, but he's only 23 (soon 24), and has had some bad luck with injury.
He's been looking pretty useful at Wasps lately but nothing to especially demand Eng attention imo. Until that last match which was a real eye-opener.