EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Scrumhead

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Scrumhead »

Townsend’s recent selection of Lang at 12 suggests to me he wants a second playmaker. Redpath is better than Lang so on that logic, he’s in with a good shout of starting.

I’m annoyed to lose him, but if that’s what he wanted, I don’t think there’s that much we can do about it.

It least he’s more Scottish than a large chunk of the Scotland squad.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

There aren’t many teams in a great position to criticise selecting foreign born players, to be honest. Maybe England are better now than in recent years.

The dual nationality thing is interesting though. I certainly support Scotland ahead of England in the rugby, but I wouldn’t make a claim to actually be more Scottish than English. I don’t see it as a binary thing.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

A point they brought up on Ugo Monye’s BBC podcast, and something I hadn’t considered, was that potentially some England players may make themselves unavailable for this years 6 Nations. It’s got to be a possibility at least. Apparently they’ll be in a strict 8 week Covid secure bubble, so that's a hell of a commitment for those with young families.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

They should have a chat with the England cricket players.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Timbo wrote:A point they brought up on Ugo Monye’s BBC podcast, and something I hadn’t considered, was that potentially some England players may make themselves unavailable for this years 6 Nations. It’s got to be a possibility at least. Apparently they’ll be in a strict 8 week Covid secure bubble, so that's a hell of a commitment for those with young families.
Indeed. I'd be much more afraid of my wife than Eddie Jones...(not even joking)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mellsblue wrote:They should have a chat with the England cricket players.
They obviously do long tours, and many cricket players have spoken about how detrimental they are to well being and mental health.

But the Covid bubble the cricketers were in last summer was, by a number of accounts, pretty awful for the players. Eoin Morgan did say that they wouldn’t do it the same way again.
morepork

Post by morepork »

You could fly all the teams to NZ, isolate for 2 weeks, then get amongst free living.

For 90% of TV revenue, of course.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote:You could fly all the teams to NZ, isolate for 2 weeks, then get amongst free living.

Tbh, I've heard far worse ideas!

Not about giving NZ a single penny, but about going someplace where there could be crowds.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

I'm sort of half way serious. Probably too late now, but we have the rich mans boat jolly down there now, we've had the Windies and Pakistan for cricket...it's actually doable.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
morepork wrote:You could fly all the teams to NZ, isolate for 2 weeks, then get amongst free living.

Tbh, I've heard far worse ideas!

Not about giving NZ a single penny, but about going someplace where there could be crowds.

Puja
No idea why the Lions aren’t considering it with SA moving into NZ’s slot.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote:
They obviously do long tours, and many cricket players have spoken about how detrimental they are to well being and mental health.

But the Covid bubble the cricketers were in last summer was, by a number of accounts, pretty awful for the players. Eoin Morgan did say that they wouldn’t do it the same way again.
Which is why they should have a chat with them. Coping strategies etc.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Timbo wrote:

Test cricket contracts are worth in the region of £750k, that is the coping strategy for many
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Timbo wrote:

Test cricket contracts are worth in the region of £750k, that is the coping strategy for many
That's not a coping strategy but is probably the reason they put themselves in the situation. If you're feeling enclosed, lonely and depressed 'thinking of the money' probably isn't going to get you through. Really should have mandated sessions with a sports psychiatrist, someone like Steve Peters. Healthy mind is just as important as healthy body.
Digby

Post by Digby »

FKAS wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Which is why they should have a chat with them. Coping strategies etc.
That's not a coping strategy but is probably the reason they put themselves in the situation. If you're feeling enclosed, lonely and depressed 'thinking of the money' probably isn't going to get you through. Really should have mandated sessions with a sports psychiatrist, someone like Steve Peters. Healthy mind is just as important as healthy body.

Understanding why you're wanting or willing to do something, and then keeping that in mind would work for many. Whereas I'd be hugely pissed off if someone wanted to book time with a psychiatrist.

Not that living out of a hotel is much fun even if you're allowed out to pubs and restaurants, but I'd be willing to do it for a few months for a lot less than the cricketers get out of it.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
FKAS wrote:
Digby wrote:

Understanding why you're wanting or willing to do something, and then keeping that in mind would work for many. Whereas I'd be hugely pissed off if someone wanted to book time with a psychiatrist.

Not that living out of a hotel is much fun even if you're allowed out to pubs and restaurants, but I'd be willing to do it for a few months for a lot less than the cricketers get out of it.
Mrs Digby would probably pay £750k....
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Digby wrote:
FKAS wrote:
Digby wrote:

We'd all go for it because that kind of money is potentially life enhancing. Whilst I'm pretty good at tuning out I know others are not and I'd much rather the employers made sure there was an expert who they could talk to rather than leave them crying in their rooms or awake at night staring at the ceiling.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
FKAS wrote:

She's more likely to knife me in my sleep and dump the body
Puja

Post by Puja »

The full judgement in the Sinckler case released - nice summary of it here: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/kyle-sin ... d-bristol/

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:

She's more likely to knife me in my sleep and dump the body
Ha! That made me lol.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Puja wrote:The full judgement in the Sinckler case released - nice summary of it here: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/kyle-sin ... d-bristol/

Puja
I must say Exeter players are getting less and less likeable. It can't be just that they're winning things now, right?
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Are they the only players who talk shit and try to wind people up? Sinckler himself isn’t exactly shy of it.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Nope, of course not. My soft spot for them is disappearing rather quicker than I thought it would with their stupid name, covid idiocy, etc.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Probably just bored and reading in to things too much, but at 00:48 he talks about Udogwu having power/x-factor and England needing another centre with those qualities, then corrects himself to centre or winger.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Very crappy Kitson article in the Graun in my view. I reckon I could knock out 1000 words of supposition each week to a deadline: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... lish-rugby
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Always dislike these. Give anyone named a spot and you can complain about whoever was kicked out by them.