EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

fivepointer

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by fivepointer »

It does seem as if Jones has gone through a lot of players. I accept some will inevitably fall by the wayside as not everyone is going to earn 50+ caps, but i wonder if the attrition rate is greater under Jones than previous coaches?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

fivepointer wrote:It does seem as if Jones has gone through a lot of players. I accept some will inevitably fall by the wayside as not everyone is going to earn 50+ caps, but i wonder if the attrition rate is greater under Jones than previous coaches?
Could you not equally counter that by saying Jones gives more people a chance than previous coaches? Everybody called in a dropped has someone being picked in their place.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I think we can say Eddie is much quicker to make his mind up, or that's my guess. Which is to say Eddie is capping less players to 15-20 caps and then moving on, they're getting 5 or 30+ seems much more the order of the day
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Stom

Post by Stom »

twitchy wrote:
The thing is...those last sentences: I am enjoying my rugby big-time, now. I think you can see that in the way we are playing at Quins. We have smiles on our faces, so long may that continue.”
That "Now" plus some of his other highlights suggest there's something to the fact Gustard lost the dressing room.

3 from 3 since he left and a lot better rugby.

FKAS

Post by FKAS »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56048366

Dawson joining the drop Farrell brigade. Mike Brown said the same last weekend.

If he can't make it at 12. Ford is blatantly a better 10, young Marcus Smith was ripping it up yesterday and Simmonds is reliably a good all rounder questions over whether Farrell should be there at all will start coming if he's dropped and England go well.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I know he’s not particularly highly rated on this forum, but Brad Shields is playing some really good rugby at the moment for Wasps.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Timbo wrote:I know he’s not particularly highly rated on this forum, but Brad Shields is playing some really good rugby at the moment for Wasps.
Agreed and he looks less of a tosser without the beard. :D
Digby

Post by Digby »

FKAS wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56048366

Dawson joining the drop Farrell brigade. Mike Brown said the same last weekend.

If he can't make it at 12. Ford is blatantly a better 10, young Marcus Smith was ripping it up yesterday and Simmonds is reliably a good all rounder questions over whether Farrell should be there at all will start coming if he's dropped and England go well.
This coming after many years of Daws noting Farrell had to guide the lesser Ford through games. Whether Daws now doesn't agree with himself, he's actually changed his mind (such as it is), or at various points he's just sticking his name on whatever crap the copy editor wants I don't know
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Dawson describing Farrell as "an England great"

And then "You do not lose your world-class status and talent because of a couple of poor games, but it has been an extended period where he has not been lighting it up"

Matt, Farrell has never lit up any game he's played in for England. Perhaps people like you in the media should have been pointing out his limitations years ago rather than peddle the world class hyperbole.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

fivepointer wrote:Dawson describing Farrell as "an England great"

And then "You do not lose your world-class status and talent because of a couple of poor games, but it has been an extended period where he has not been lighting it up"

Matt, Farrell has never lit up any game he's played in for England. Perhaps people like you in the media should have been pointing out his limitations years ago rather than peddle the world class hyperbole.
5P, I agree with every word. Unfortunately, Jones is not for turning. We are where we are, as Johnno said.

Now, with punditry turning on Farrell, I suspect Jones will get even more stubborn. It's all been said before: Shields from the SH, because that automatically makes him good; Daly at FB with Brown on the wing; only two SHs in the training squad consistently etc etc.

I even find myself starting to feel sorry for Farrell. It's not his fault that he's been over-hyped. We need a spark like the departure of Gustard gave Harlequins! :) :)
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I feel for him too. He’s been over-hyped for a long, long time, but that’s not his fault. The clumsy way the media now seem to be going after him is very odd, and a big part of me is still wondering why now? What’s changed?

Much of it is so over the top that Eddie will likely double down on his Farrell stubbornness anyway. It’s a shame to think Willis would probably have a dozen caps by now if Eddie hadn’t been forced to defy the media hype by ignoring him. Now this horrible injury stands in his way as well.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Agreed. As I text my bro after he sent me the link to Dawson’s article:

‘Dawson’s joined a long list. The press seemed to fully turn on Farrell after the Scotland match. There had been a trickle since the autumn matches but the floodgates opened after Scot. As is usual, he’s gone from being the messiah to a very naughty boy in a very short space of time. Truth is (IMO obvs) he’s a decent international but not the world class player everyone was saying he is.’
Stom

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Dawson describing Farrell as "an England great"

5P, I agree with every word. Unfortunately, Jones is not for turning. We are where we are, as Johnno said.

Now, with punditry turning on Farrell, I suspect Jones will get even more stubborn. It's all been said before: Shields from the SH, because that automatically makes him good; Daly at FB with Brown on the wing; only two SHs in the training squad consistently etc etc.

I even find myself starting to feel sorry for Farrell. It's not his fault that he's been over-hyped. We need a spark like the departure of Gustard gave Harlequins! :) :)
I feel vindicated for my continued words against him in these last 4 games.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Timbo wrote:I know he’s not particularly highly rated on this forum, but Brad Shields is playing some really good rugby at the moment for Wasps.
He is, but he's not exactly going to solve any actual problems in the England squad right now
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Danno wrote:
He is, but he's not exactly going to solve any actual problems in the England squad right now
He is a good solid club-standard player giving a good account of himself at that level. To rate him more highly is/was poor judgement.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Oakboy wrote:
Just so you know, I have a large beard - not massively dissimilar to Brad’s previous effort, but probably closer to Joe Marler. Thought you might like to know :lol:
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Scrumhead wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Just so you know, I have a large beard - not massively dissimilar to Brad’s previous effort, but probably closer to Joe Marler. Thought you might like to know :lol:
I too have a large beard (much longer than Brads previous). Don't worry. Facial follically challenged people just struggle with jealously.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Raggs wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
I too have a large beard (much longer than Brads previous). Don't worry. Facial follically challenged people just struggle with jealously.
Ah, my beard is grey. Tis the skull that is follically challenged. Of course, I admit to having a face that's better covered. Shields looks a hell of a lot better showing his. Obviously, I can't comment on you two beauties!!!!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Do you guys want to be alone with your beard oil and home brew kist?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

morepork wrote:Do you guys want to be alone with your beard oil and home brew kist?
Don't use beard oil much, too little for too much. As for home brew, I have made mead, bloody delicious after a year or so of maturing. Got a load of homebrew stuff I got cheap, but still haven't actually got round to making more :(
Danno

Post by Danno »

Raggs wrote:
morepork wrote:Do you guys want to be alone with your beard oil and home brew kist?
Don't use beard oil much, too little for too much. As for home brew, I have made mead, bloody delicious after a year or so of maturing. Got a load of homebrew stuff I got cheap, but still haven't actually got round to making more :(
Mead

Come live in East London, you can be king of the hipsters :D
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Danno wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Mead

Nah, the reason I grow my beard is because I can't be bothered with shaving etc. What's the point in not having to shave, if you're then going to spend the equivalent amount of time trimming and shaping and grooming etc etc. I've been bearded for the vast majority of my adult life, but never called a hipster by anyone who's actually met me :D.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Raggs wrote:
Danno wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Mead

Nah, the reason I grow my beard is because I can't be bothered with shaving etc. What's the point in not having to shave, if you're then going to spend the equivalent amount of time trimming and shaping and grooming etc etc. I've been bearded for the vast majority of my adult life, but never called a hipster by anyone who's actually met me :D.
A thousand times, this.