Snap General Election called

Sandydragon

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:
And now Sue Gray is not going to publish her report until after the investigation has ended because it would be interfering with an active investigation. A cynic might note that the Met are getting involved at just the right time to delay any resolution and drag everything out. A cynic might note that Dick is firmly in Boris's pocket at the best of time and that this is politically ideal for him to spread this out, to try and create "party-fatigue" in the British public and reduce the outcry to a background hum of, "Not this thing again."

Thankfully, we're not cynics, so we'll all believe that the Met suddenly has reason to investigate today that they didn't a few weeks ago, and that they will certainly come back with a response that's not a muted, "Not enough evidence/not in the public interest to pursue," in three-six months' time.

Puja
Sue Gray has been talking to the police all along. Rumour has it a clear threshold was breached and now the police are interested. Ultimately it’s only a fixed penalty notice but Boris doesn’t benefit from this at all. I don’t see the anger dying down any time soon.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote:
Puja wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:
And now Sue Gray is not going to publish her report until after the investigation has ended because it would be interfering with an active investigation. A cynic might note that the Met are getting involved at just the right time to delay any resolution and drag everything out. A cynic might note that Dick is firmly in Boris's pocket at the best of time and that this is politically ideal for him to spread this out, to try and create "party-fatigue" in the British public and reduce the outcry to a background hum of, "Not this thing again."

Thankfully, we're not cynics, so we'll all believe that the Met suddenly has reason to investigate today that they didn't a few weeks ago, and that they will certainly come back with a response that's not a muted, "Not enough evidence/not in the public interest to pursue," in three-six months' time.

Puja
Sue Gray has been talking to the police all along. Rumour has it a clear threshold was breached and now the police are interested. Ultimately it’s only a fixed penalty notice but Boris doesn’t benefit from this at all. I don’t see the anger dying down any time soon.
It does appear that I misjudged Ms Gray - the report is apparently being delivered this week and, as you said, she's dug up enough that the police have finally breached the threshold of "Do we *have* to be involved?"

Puja
Backist Monk
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:David Davies gives the mandatory ‘in the name of god go’ speech.

But.

If Sue Greys report is a major effort in blandism then it wouldn’t surprise me if somehow Boris hangs on.
I can't conceive of it being anything else.

Remember the Hutton inquiry. Blair's direct lies to journalists were described as follows: 'I consider that the answers given by the Prime Minister to members of the press in the aeroplane cast no light on the issues ...'

And that was from a judge. Grey is a civil servant who reports to Michael Gove. So her ultimate boss is Boris Johnson.
Yep, it's a major effort in blandism.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Leader of the SNP ejected from Commons in latest demonstration of the problems with a Parliamentary system that disallows calling an MP a liar, when faced with a Prime Minister who blatantly and provably lies.

Puja
Backist Monk
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Arrests after mob shout Savile slurs at Starmer

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

cashead

Post by cashead »

Wonder who's paying for it. It's pretty blatantly this year's "Corbyn hates the Jewish people."
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:Arrests after mob shout Savile slurs at Starmer
The BBC is suggesting that some of the crowd threw objects at the police officers protecting Starmer so there’s not much you can complain about of you have decided to let rip with a traffic cone at a copper. It suggests also that the police were called once the verbal abuse started rather than being there before hand although that’s not entirely clear.

Obviously being leader of the opposition gets you a quicker response than Joe bloggs would get.
Puja

Post by Puja »

As it turns out, amplifying a right wing conspiracy theory accusing a public figure of helping a paedophile resulted in consequences. Who knew?

Puja
Backist Monk
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

cashead wrote:Wonder who's paying for it. It's pretty blatantly this year's "Corbyn hates the Jewish people."
The Tory strategists will inevitably be leaping with joy that it has already cut through. This sort of propaganda is deleterious to our democracy. Johnson needs to learn the consequences to his actions.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Well there's a surprise - he'll neither amend the record, nor offer an apology, because he's an 6 year old boy caught with his hand in the biscuit tin, who's blaming the dog for the chocolate he's got smeared on his face
Zhivago wrote:This sort of propaganda is deleterious to our democracy. Johnson needs to learn the consequences to his actions.
BJ has never met a consequence he hasn't been able to sweep under a rug or convince someone else to take the fall for - and he doesn't intend to start now.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote:

Well there's a surprise - he'll neither amend the record, nor offer an apology, because he's an 6 year old boy caught with his hand in the biscuit tin, who's blaming the dog for the chocolate he's got smeared on his face
Zhivago wrote:This sort of propaganda is deleterious to our democracy. Johnson needs to learn the consequences to his actions.
BJ has never met a consequence he hasn't been able to sweep under a rug or convince someone else to take the fall for - and he doesn't intend to start now.
All calculated. He doesn't think enough of his MPs will rebel so he can throw a few dead cats about and some of this will stick. If nothing else, it changes the narrative for a few days away from party gate.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Which Tyler wrote:

Somewhere, a Tory backbencher glances at the Operation: Save Big Dog (just fucking lol) memo and a cold chill runs down their spine.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Puja

Post by Puja »

cashead wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:

Somewhere, a Tory backbencher glances at the Operation: Save Big Dog (just fucking lol) memo and a cold chill runs down their spine.
Requires 54 of them to have the cold chill (and a spine, for that matter) before anything's accomplished though.

I am genuinely concerned that he'll make it through this. Even the 54 letters are reached, I think he'll win the confidence vote. The only think that can damn him is a complete collapse in the local elections and I think they're too far away for the microwave memory of the electorate to remember why they were cross at the funny dishevelled Brexit man.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mini reshuffle, Jacob Rees Mogg confirmed as Brexit Opportunities Minister.

Can't wait to see that in action.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote:Mini reshuffle, Jacob Rees Mogg confirmed as Brexit Opportunities Minister.

I mean, if the rumours about his investment portfolio are correct, then he's certainly very adept at making opportunities out of Brexit.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:Mini reshuffle, Jacob Rees Mogg confirmed as Brexit Opportunities Minister.

I mean, if the rumours about his investment portfolio are correct, then he's certainly very adept at making opportunities out of Brexit.

Puja
Probably what Boris had in mind. He does have a lot of offspring to support...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:

Puja
Well it is his literal family legacy after all , how to profit from the suffering of those around you.

On Boris it was strange to read you’re “concerned he’ll make it through this” and realise I hadn’t really considered that he wouldn’t. It really doesn’t seem to matter how disgusting or corrupt any of these people are. He sure seems to have learned a thing or two from Trump.

I looked at the news today for the first time in weeks and it makes me want to fling myself under a bendy bus. Just absolutely futile.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote:
He makes 2 good points there.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Puja wrote:
cashead wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:

Requires 54 of them to have the cold chill (and a spine, for that matter) before anything's accomplished though.

I am genuinely concerned that he'll make it through this. Even the 54 letters are reached, I think he'll win the confidence vote. The only think that can damn him is a complete collapse in the local elections and I think they're too far away for the microwave memory of the electorate to remember why they were cross at the funny dishevelled Brexit man.

Puja
I dunno, what he and the venal pricks at Downing Street did is the kind of thing that sticks. I just attended the funeral of a friend who took her own life, and if I wasn’t able to go, while BoJo and his band of fucks were yukking it up and then filming press conferences where they pretty much tell the public to eat shit, man, I would not be forgetting that shit any time soon.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:

All calculated. He doesn't think enough of his MPs will rebel so he can throw a few dead cats about and some of this will stick. If nothing else, it changes the narrative for a few days away from party gate.
Despicable. Will it work, I wonder? Some people will be willing to believe it, some will be disgusted at Johnson's tactics. The QAnon crew were never going to vote for Starmer anyway.

In the end though, it's a desperate tactic, no doubt a line Johnson would have preferred to save till a general election. So he's shot that bolt.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:

Despicable. Will it work, I wonder? Some people will be willing to believe it, some will be disgusted at Johnson's tactics. The QAnon crew were never going to vote for Starmer anyway.

In the end though, it's a desperate tactic, no doubt a line Johnson would have preferred to save till a general election. So he's shot that bolt.
He is gambling on the public having no attention span and forgetting about party gate, particularly if some of the mud sticks. Most of the anti-vax conspiracy nutters won't be influence either way but would probably like the excuse to get (more) angry at someone like Starmer. I suppose the question is that having crossed one line, how many more will he cross to hold onto power? I sense that the May elections will be interesting, but the next GE will be very dirty.

Whilst anecdotal, I don't get the sense that the anger around party gate is dropping. Some people don't care and will never care, but there is something about us all being in it together that Boris has just driven a bulldozer through. That might always be a load of rubbish but the perception that we are all following the same rules is important and Boris has destroyed that. With cost of living increases about to hit very hard and many businesses not looking forward to paying the additional NI after such significant disruption, things are about to get a lot worse for Boris.

The big question is I suppose when we get to the next GE, can Starmer and Labour, plus other opposition parties and I still think there is merit in an agreement with the Liberals and SNP, exploit this to the full? If Labour can regain the red wall and hold the big cities and the Liberals can make headway in parts of the country that won't vote Labour but might vote Liberal then that 80 seat majority suddenly looks very vulnerable.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Sandydragon wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:

He is gambling on the public having no attention span and forgetting about party gate, particularly if some of the mud sticks. Most of the anti-vax conspiracy nutters won't be influence either way but would probably like the excuse to get (more) angry at someone like Starmer. I suppose the question is that having crossed one line, how many more will he cross to hold onto power? I sense that the May elections will be interesting, but the next GE will be very dirty.

Whilst anecdotal, I don't get the sense that the anger around party gate is dropping. Some people don't care and will never care, but there is something about us all being in it together that Boris has just driven a bulldozer through. That might always be a load of rubbish but the perception that we are all following the same rules is important and Boris has destroyed that. With cost of living increases about to hit very hard and many businesses not looking forward to paying the additional NI after such significant disruption, things are about to get a lot worse for Boris.

The big question is I suppose when we get to the next GE, can Starmer and Labour, plus other opposition parties and I still think there is merit in an agreement with the Liberals and SNP, exploit this to the full? If Labour can regain the red wall and hold the big cities and the Liberals can make headway in parts of the country that won't vote Labour but might vote Liberal then that 80 seat majority suddenly looks very vulnerable.
I think you’re under doing how big a grip this is. There are a lot more then you might think, while there are a lot of Tory voters who would rather vote for a liar then for the communists taking their pension away.