Snap General Election called

Which Tyler

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Which Tyler »

Sunak told met police he only ate some nibbles at the party, then left.
He's claiming nom-nom status.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Fuck. It's just pathetic. I only ate some nibbles. Shirley you could come up with a more compelling reason than that to be present. Even "we all thought someone had left the gas on" would be more credible, but no, poorly timed salted nuts it is.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

morepork wrote:Fuck. It's just pathetic. I only ate some nibbles. Shirley you could come up with a more compelling reason than that to be present. Even "we all thought someone had left the gas on" would be more credible, but no, poorly timed salted nuts it is.
Sorry it wasn't obvious - but... that was a joke about his wife's nom-dom status (though they both claim that there weren't any parties, there were parties but they didn't attend, and that they only attended the parties briefly, whilst unaware that a party was happening) - so I guess there's a greater degree of plausbility to the joke than I first thought.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Ah. You tremendous cunt.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:Confirmed law breaking really should trigger an automatic bye-election in that constituency, with the guilty MP barred from standing.
That damned unwritten constitution strikes again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61083402
Just seen this. Anyone with a normal conscience would resign at this point.
Break the law. Lie about it in Parliament.

Unprecedented actions for which any remotely decent human being would resign.

(An aside: this explains why Commissioner Dick resigned early)
Son of Mathonwy

Great timing for the local elections too.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:Sunak told met police he only ate some nibbles at the party, then left.
He's claiming nom-nom status.
83121450_2236990579937465_4061296220121858048_n.jpg
Puja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Several articles in the Times calling for Johnson and Sunak to quit. But it looks like he intends to sit firm and there doesn’t seem to be a rush to urge him to quit amongst Tory MPs. I suspect they want the May elections out of the way.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It seems weird to me reading all the opinions that this might finally be it for him and he’ll have to resign. I don’t know why anybody thinks he would even give a shit about it at this point.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:It seems weird to me reading all the opinions that this might finally be it for him and he’ll have to resign. I don’t know why anybody thinks he would even give a shit about it at this point.
Agreed. "Could this be the end for Johnson?" No, not unless he's had a complete personality transplant and acquired a sense of shame or responsibility.

Puja
Backist Monk
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Donny osmond »

Puja wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:It seems weird to me reading all the opinions that this might finally be it for him and he’ll have to resign. I don’t know why anybody thinks he would even give a shit about it at this point.
Agreed. "Could this be the end for Johnson?" No, not unless he's had a complete personality transplant and acquired a sense of shame or responsibility.

Puja
Agreed, but it might then lead to interesting follow up questions regarding the personality and senses of shame or responsibility of the parliamentary Tory party and everyone who voted for them.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Donny osmond wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Agreed, but it might then lead to interesting follow up questions regarding the personality and senses of shame or responsibility of the parliamentary Tory party and everyone who voted for them.

I'm not sure if many of them have senses of shame or responsibility either.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I don’t see how anybody who’s ever consider supported Boris at any point is now going to care about stuff like that.

Sadly he’s been shown the way by The Donald that you don’t even need to pretend anymore, just deflect and distract. It’s all just noise.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah I don’t see how anybody who’s ever consider supported Boris at any point is now going to care about stuff like that.

Sadly he’s been shown the way by The Donald that you don’t even need to pretend anymore, just deflect and distract. It’s all just noise.
This is what I was getting at. Remember when Trump's press guy stood in front of 2 pictures, 1 of trump's inauguration and 1 of Obama's inauguration and swore blind there was more people at Trump's? I saw a psychologist explain why they did that, it's a trick that traps people into continuing to follow their guy even when they know he's lying. Once you see it happen once you see it all the time in politics. Sturgeon does it brilliantly, hence she's still going strong despite the trail of lies and incompetence. Ditto Trump. And now ditto Johnson.

It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Well, I've written to my MP - it won't make a difference, but if a few hundred of us do, he might decide his future is better served by doing something (actually, he might, he was VERY pissed off with Cummings breaking lockdown rules, but was also very much "let's wait and see what the Met decide" on BJ).

Anyone pissed off about this, really should write to their MP - even non-tory MPs can have their say in Parliament, whilst Labour / LibDem etc can call a motion of no confidence if they refuse to go.
Messrs Johnson and Sunak have now both been found guilty of breaking the law – laws which they made. They have admitted guilt by not appealing, which confirms that they have both lied to parliament.
In any functional democracy, the latter would immediately bar them from parliament, at least until they have corrected the record. The former would automatically bar them from parliament in perpetuity or at least trigger an automatic by-election in their constituencies.

As our constitution is unwritten, and the individuals concerned have no capacity to feel shame, or to do the honourable thing, then every conservative MP must write letters to the 1922 committee calling for their resignation.
EVERY conservative MP who chooses not to do this, is choosing to side with criminals and liars, is actively supporting lawlessness, and worse, lawlessness in the House of Commons.

I implore you to write, demanding their resignations, expressing no-confidence in this Prime Minister (and his cabinet); and to support or even propose a motion whereby any law breaking by any MP triggers an by-election in their constituency, preferably with said MP barred from standing.

In the words of Lady Thatcher “The first duty of Government is to uphold the law. If it tries to bob and weave and duck around that duty when it is inconvenient, if government does that, then so will the governed, and then nobody is safe.”
Son of Mathonwy

Ahh, the red meat has arrived.

Obviously it's entirely coincidental that the Rwanda policy should be launched a couple of days after Johnson's lawbreaking and lying were revealed. Cruel and astoundingly expensive it may be, but who cares if it gives the Tory press something else for the front page and the appetite of the far right is momentarily appeased.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Ahh, the red meat has arrived.

Obviously it's entirely coincidental that the Rwanda policy should be launched a couple of days after Johnson's lawbreaking and lying were revealed. Cruel and astoundingly expensive it may be, but who cares if it gives the Tory press something else for the front page and the appetite of the far right is momentarily appeased.
It’s also potentially disgusted many Tory voters who aren’t on the right of the party. I know a few people who normally vote conservative for whom this is the last straw.

It’s just obscene. When this hit the press months ago it felt like a bad wind up. Now it’s actually going to happen (subject to legal challenge) it just feels unreal. And the more so that Patel was trying to claim the moral high ground earlier by suggesting that she was acting to save the lives of migrants.
Puja

Post by Puja »

It's for days like these that the foreign aid budget was slashed. Gone are the days where we would offer aid to countries to help lift them out of poverty; now they have to *work* for it.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote:

It’s also potentially disgusted many Tory voters who aren’t on the right of the party. I know a few people who normally vote conservative for whom this is the last straw.

It’s just obscene. When this hit the press months ago it felt like a bad wind up. Now it’s actually going to happen (subject to legal challenge) it just feels unreal. And the more so that Patel was trying to claim the moral high ground earlier by suggesting that she was acting to save the lives of migrants.
With the last straw thing, do you mean just the Rwanda plan or the whole week's events?

Where do you stand yourself? Have they crossed the line for you this week?

They crossed the line for me a couple of decades back, when it became clear that Ken Clarke was too left wing to ever lead them.
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote:

It's for days like these that the foreign aid budget was slashed. Gone are the days where we would offer aid to countries to help lift them out of poverty; now they have to *work* for it.

Puja
They'd slash it to 0% of GDP if they could. They genuinely don't get the concept of charity.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:

With the last straw thing, do you mean just the Rwanda plan or the whole week's events?

They crossed the line for me a couple of decades back, when it became clear that Ken Clarke was too left wing to ever lead them.
I think its been an accumulation for those on the left of the party. Even the right of the party should not be happy at the Prime Minister breaking the law, but they may be appeased by this Rwanda nonsense.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FB_IMG_1650201611219.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: It’s also potentially disgusted many Tory voters who aren’t on the right of the party. I know a few people who normally vote conservative for whom this is the last straw.

I think its been an accumulation for those on the left of the party. Even the right of the party should not be happy at the Prime Minister breaking the law, but they may be appeased by this Rwanda nonsense.
Where do you stand? Is it too much for you?
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote:FB_IMG_1650201611219.jpg
Well, going by the old testament they'd probably all be put to the sword.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Puja wrote:FB_IMG_1650201611219.jpg
Well, going by the old testament they'd probably all be put to the sword.
I'm not a Christian myself, but I believe the whole point of the "Jesus thing" was that the old testament rules no longer applied and you were supposed to love other people and be decent to those in need.

Could be wrong though. Seems to be a lot of chocolate involved today, so maybe that's the important thing.

Puja
Backist Monk