EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Oakboy

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Oakboy »

Mikey Brown wrote:Are we assuming Youngs wants to stay with his family? I'm worried Jones is just going to go full first team and not rest any of the Lions guys, not that Youngs even toured.
A bit of a dilemma, really. With an incohesive side based on the 6N performances, would a rest be beneficial or should more practise be the way to go? Unless you think that Farrell returning will solve everything??? ;)
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

It is a dilemma. The pressure is already high. Perform badly and the pressure will ratchet up again.

This is basically the last decent opportunity to start bedding any new players in to the squad, so here needs to be some balance between the tried and tested players and those on the fringes.

Another reason why Quirke and Kelly’s injuries are a real disappointment.
Puja

Post by Puja »

TCurry is due back from injury this weekend apparently.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Article about Cokanasiga's problems with injury and his mental health and all the stuff that's been going on with his family: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=http://inews.co ... on-1603665

Looks like he's coming out the other side of it stronger, which is good to see.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote:Article about Cokanasiga's problems with injury and his mental health and all the stuff that's been going on with his family: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=http://inews.co ... on-1603665

Looks like he's coming out the other side of it stronger, which is good to see.

Puja
Yeah be good to see him come out the other side and get a full season under his belt... then leave Bath and reunite with his brother...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah it must be strange for Bath languishing at the bottom of the table while their academy side push for a playoff spot. Is Phil Cokanasiga not rumoured to be off elsewhere? I can’t quite remember
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah it must be strange for Bath languishing at the bottom of the table while their academy side push for a playoff spot. Is Phil Cokanasiga not rumoured to be off elsewhere? I can’t quite remember
Leicester - hence FKAS wanting Joe to join him
Puja

Post by Puja »

Eddie's apparently naming a training squad at some point today: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... -undecided

Guardian reckons Farrell back, but not necessarily captain, and Arundell and JVP in, with Quirke ruled out of the whole tour because of injury. Apparently there will be no players rested for Australia - we're going full bore (with the possible exception of Youngs for personal reasons).

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:Eddie's apparently naming a training squad at some point today: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... -undecided

Guardian reckons Farrell back, but not necessarily captain, and Arundell and JVP in, with Quirke ruled out of the whole tour because of injury. Apparently there will be no players rested for Australia - we're going full bore (with the possible exception of Youngs for personal reasons).

Puja
Times reporting the same names for inclusion.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I'll just be glad if Arundell is in there and Eddie hasn't arbitrarily decided that he has things to learn/he wants him to prove his commitment to England by knowing he won't get a cap till 2024 and still turning down other offers. Those felt like very real Eddie-type things to do.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Was thinking what a shame it is neither Kenningham or Evans are fit to get a chance in the England games this summer (though Pearson is clearly a talent) and I was looking for any updates on Kenningham's injury.

Last official announcement appears to be from January, stating he's had his operation and has 6 months on the sidelines. No idea what's happened since then, but if all is well he should be nearing fitness towards the end of this season and ideally able to get a full pre-season to be ready for 22/23.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Apparently Jonny May has resumed full training and could be back by the end of the season.

Puja
Backist Monk
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Not EPS but Jake Polledri has resumed contact training, that's an amazing recovery not everyone was convinced he was going to make.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Great to hear. I hope he can get back to where he was pre-injury.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Scrumhead wrote:Great to hear. I hope he can get back to where he was pre-injury.
I hope we can afford to keep him.... Tuisue was signed I believe in case Jake didn't recover. That signing is going ahead still as far as I am aware. We are losing a few others it seems which might free up enough cash but i'd hate the thought of Jake playing elsewhere after all that has happened.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Gloskarlos wrote:Not EPS but Jake Polledri has resumed contact training, that's an amazing recovery not everyone was convinced he was going to make.
You say not but it's 18 months already. Got to be closing in on two years by next season. Could re-qualify for England if he holds out.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

FKAS wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:Not EPS but Jake Polledri has resumed contact training, that's an amazing recovery not everyone was convinced he was going to make.
You say not but it's 18 months already. Got to be closing in on two years by next season. Could re-qualify for England if he holds out.
Fairly certain based on his previous statements he's happy enough with Italy and his roots were a deciding factor in that.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Gloskarlos wrote:
FKAS wrote:
Fairly certain based on his previous statements he's happy enough with Italy and his roots were a deciding factor in that.
Was a bit tongue in cheek after you said not EPS.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Decent article on Joel Kpoku: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-was-ki ... poku-lyon/

Not quite clear on the possibility of him playing for France via his Congolese parents? The article references it, but it’s not clear how he’d qualify? Do you get access to a French passport if you’re Congolese?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

‘I didn’t really want to go to Bath‘
Wise man.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Scrumhead wrote:Decent article on Joel Kpoku: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-was-ki ... poku-lyon/

Not quite clear on the possibility of him playing for France via his Congolese parents? The article references it, but it’s not clear how he’d qualify? Do you get access to a French passport if you’re Congolese?
I don't believe so - wasn't Congo occupied by the Belgians anyway? Maybe it means that one of his grandparents who lived in Congo was French?

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:Decent article on Joel Kpoku: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-was-ki ... poku-lyon/

I don't believe so - wasn't Congo occupied by the Belgians anyway? Maybe it means that one of his grandparents who lived in Congo was French?

Puja
Colonised by Belgium. The DRC speak French and have close ties with France (particularly trade) so it's possible his Congolese grandparents moved to and acquired passports in France as part of some sort of employment.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I am glad to see him doing well. I think france are in a golden generation and probably wouldn't need him anyway. Always time for him to come back to england.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

He’s doesn’t qualify for France, although could obviously go down the residency route in 4 1/2 years.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Thoughts on MacFarland as an England contender? He's Samoan obviously but why would that be an issue. We have a ton of exciting flankers but his Croftiness might be a point of difference?

Not sure if I only noticed it because of mentions on here about Mitchell's fitness, but watching him left in the dust as MacFarland zoomed past him at the weekend did catch my eye.