Snap General Election called

Puja

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Puja »

Jeremy Hunt has come out saying he will vote against Johnson and Nadine Dorries has lost the plot, attacking him on twitter, including this belter:

I'm wondering if she realises that's still her own party that she's attacking for having wanting and inadequate preparation for the pandemic that killed hundreds of thousands? A fun tweet for the COVID inquiry there.

Plus she's out doing interviews saying that the important thing here is that millionaire donors don't want Johnson removed and that's really what MPs who are worried about electoral consequences should be thinking about.

I'd actively prefer to not have her helping, if I were Boris.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Also, this is a hell of a watch. Everything that's wrong with this country, from the born-to-rule class who are groomed for egomania and sociopathy, to the fact that we keep voting for the fuckers.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote:Also, this is a hell of a watch. Everything that's wrong with this country, from the born-to-rule class who are groomed for egomania and sociopathy, to the fact that we keep voting for the fuckers.

Puja
The Tories are only interested in whether or not he'll get them votes. That stuff's all irrelevant. As it says, they already knew all that.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Sandydragon wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Zhivago wrote:The only sensible replacement would be Ben Wallace. The other candidates are all horror shows.
Why Ben Wallace and who are the other candidates?
Wallce has been a competent Defence Secretary, which is a rarity in that role.
Zahawi did well as vaccines minister and seems to be doing OK at education.
Tugendhat maybe but is perhaps a bit inexperienced at the top level.

I'd even take Hunt over Boris and the other Brexiteers.
I’d like to see more of a back catalogue than being a competent Defence Secretary which, in this instance, is pretty much giving as much help to a country under attack as possible - though, you will have better intel than me on his day to day qualities. He hasn’t really differed to Johnson over Ukraine, both prior to and during the war, so using that as a reason to replace Johnson doesn’t have much logic. Tbh, all he’s done is the morally correct thing but it has looked way more than that when set in context against the pathetic responses of the other large nations in Europe. As Sunak could tell him, it’s easy to look great when you’re giving away a shed load of help but you can soon fall on your arse when faced with more difficult decisions. Wallace also has a couple of major historical gaffes that might do for him, whether that be with fellow Conservative MPs, the party members or the electorate.
Zahawi seems to be competent but also has a small back catalogue and has had the temerity to make a lot of money, a decent proportion of which was whilst a MP.
Tugendhat would be my first choice, at present, but my main point of the question is that the winner isn’t always from the pool of people you expect and it’s a particularly large pool for this one…. whenever it happens.
Nobody put any safe money on Cameron and who would’ve thought Leadsom would be favourite until deciding to show off about having children.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:Jeremy Hunt has come out saying he will vote against Johnson and Nadine Dorries has lost the plot, attacking him on twitter, including this belter:

I'm wondering if she realises that's still her own party that she's attacking for having wanting and inadequate preparation for the pandemic that killed hundreds of thousands? A fun tweet for the COVID inquiry there.

Plus she's out doing interviews saying that the important thing here is that millionaire donors don't want Johnson removed and that's really what MPs who are worried about electoral consequences should be thinking about.

Puja
GoNad has never had a plot, book or even library. Separately though Hunt has made me a little angry with his Field Marshall HIndsight chairmanship of the Health and Social Care Committee and general comments about the pandemic. Disingenuous doesn't even come close- he was the AO (using NHS speak) during the prep time.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:Jeremy Hunt has come out saying he will vote against Johnson and Nadine Dorries has lost the plot, attacking him on twitter, including this belter:

Puja
GoNad has never had a plot, book or even library. Separately though Hunt has made me a little angry with his Field Marshall HIndsight chairmanship of the Health and Social Care Committee and general comments about the pandemic. Disingenuous doesn't even come close- he was the AO (using NHS speak) during the prep time.
I don't get what Hunt's thinking on this is. Surely he can see that he's torpedoing any future leadership aspirations that he might have had? The MPs at large are not going to forgive such an obvious knifing.

Maybe he's realised that he never stood a chance at leadership anyway and is hoping to get in good with the new regime?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

He is most definitely the stalking horse. He who wields the knife never wears the crown.
Unless you’re Booj, the rapier prince of centres. He wields the knife whilst wearing the crown.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:He is most definitely the stalking horse. He who wields the knife never wears the crown.
Unless you’re Booj, the rapier prince of centres. He wields the knife whilst wearing the crown.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Puja
I don't get what Hunt's thinking on this is. Surely he can see that he's torpedoing any future leadership aspirations that he might have had? The MPs at large are not going to forgive such an obvious knifing.

Maybe he's realised that he never stood a chance at leadership anyway and is hoping to get in good with the new regime?

Puja
He's a nob imo.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Close but not close enough.

Now can Boris actually recover from this or is he a lame duck
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I wonder what would happen if Labour proposed a vote of no confidence? How many rebel story MPs would vote against their own government? Probably not all those who voted against Boris tonight but they only need 40 odd.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Sandydragon wrote:Close but not close enough.

Percentage wise, he's done worse than Thatcher in '90, worse than Major in '95, worse than May in '18.

You'd have to say he's a lame duck
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:Close but not close enough.

Percentage wise, he's done worse than Thatcher in '90, worse than Major in '95, worse than May in '18.

You'd have to say he's a lame duck
I don't think he'll 'recover' in that he'll get back to a reasonable level of popularity but he might 'survive' as in, limp on till 2024.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:I wonder what would happen if Labour proposed a vote of no confidence? How many rebel story MPs would vote against their own government? Probably not all those who voted against Boris tonight but they only need 40 odd.
they wouldn't go for it imo as it'd mean a GE.
Son of Mathonwy

211-148 is a good result from my perspective. Johnson is is deep trouble, very little chance of bouncing back from this. And yet the Tories have voted to keep this despicable, unfit person as PM, so tarnishing their image further. IMO although there are more respectable alternative Tory leaders (almost anyone really, barring the likes of Patel and Dorries) the most likely to succeed Johnson are probably even more right wing, so watching a lame duck Johnson staggering on, dragging down his party, is the best thing for the opposition.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:211-148 is a good result from my perspective. Johnson is is deep trouble, very little chance of bouncing back from this. And yet the Tories have voted to keep this despicable, unfit person as PM, so tarnishing their image further. IMO although there are more respectable alternative Tory leaders (almost anyone really, barring the likes of Patel and Dorries) the most likely to succeed Johnson are probably even more right wing, so watching a lame duck Johnson staggering on, dragging down his party, is the best thing for the opposition.
shyte for the country tho, which is probably more important short term tbh.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:I wonder what would happen if Labour proposed a vote of no confidence? How many rebel story MPs would vote against their own government? Probably not all those who voted against Boris tonight but they only need 40 odd.
We may be about to find out as the Lib Dem’s are saying they will table one.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
pretty much the only way of unifying the Tories.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: they wouldn't go for it imo as it'd mean a GE.
Yep but a clever long term trap by the Lib Dems.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

At least someone is happy… even if I very much doubt Johnson’s successor, whoever they are, would change policy/response on Ukraine:

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: We may be about to find out as the Lib Dem’s are saying they will table one.
Its a neat problem to solve. If you had no confidence in Johnson as PM then how can you have confidence in his government? Its difficult to square that circle.

I suspect many rebel Tory MPs will discover enough loyalty/ survival instinct to support the government but it may be close. Calling for a vote immediately might not the be best idea though, Id suggest they wait until after the next by-elections when the Tories are in full meltdown.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: pretty much the only way of unifying the Tories.
Its a neat problem to solve. If you had no confidence in Johnson as PM then how can you have confidence in his government? Its difficult to square that circle.

I suspect many rebel Tory MPs will discover enough loyalty/ survival instinct to support the government but it may be close. Calling for a vote immediately might not the be best idea though, Id suggest they wait until after the next by-elections when the Tories are in full meltdown.
Quite apart from anything else, it'll be two fewer votes they need to find if they wait until after the by-elections.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Yep but a clever long term trap by the Lib Dems.

Quite apart from anything else, it'll be two fewer votes they need to find if they wait until after the by-elections.

Puja
I very much doubt they are planning on winning the vote.
Son of Mathonwy

Banquo wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:211-148 is a good result from my perspective. Johnson is is deep trouble, very little chance of bouncing back from this. And yet the Tories have voted to keep this despicable, unfit person as PM, so tarnishing their image further. IMO although there are more respectable alternative Tory leaders (almost anyone really, barring the likes of Patel and Dorries) the most likely to succeed Johnson are probably even more right wing, so watching a lame duck Johnson staggering on, dragging down his party, is the best thing for the opposition.
shyte for the country tho, which is probably more important short term tbh.
Not convinced the likely alternatives are any better for the country. And I'd sacrifice the short term for a better long term.
morepork

Post by morepork »

What a truly awful, thoroughly flawed human being. As long as that entitled racist misogynist self-serving bullying incompetence-rewarding shit pipe is the major conduit through which the countries leaders are formed, you are fucked. Dear God what a collection of rancid cunts.