Snap General Election called

Sandydragon

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Sandydragon »

I would hope that the queen would take that position, but you can never tell with her desire to be as ceremonial as possible. But there would be a lot of good reasons for her to refuse, after all the government hasn’t lost a parliamentary vote.

Sacking Gove won’t lose anyone any sleep. Hopefully Patel is next
Puja

Post by Puja »

Boris Johnson saying he has to stay as Prime Minister, because if he goes, then a Labour/SNP coalition of chaos will bring in proportional representation and lock the Conservatives out of power.

Once again, I'm really wishing we had the version of Labour that exists in the panic of right-wingers rather than the version we actually have who would do precisely none of the cool things that we're threatened they would.

Also, it's a really weird flex to say, "If people were actually given what they voted for, we'd not see power again for decades, so we must stop it at all costs." I mean, it's probably true, but you probably shouldn't be saying it out loud.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote:Boris Johnson saying he has to stay as Prime Minister, because if he goes, then a Labour/SNP coalition of chaos will bring in proportional representation and lock the Conservatives out of power.

Once again, I'm really wishing we had the version of Labour that exists in the panic of right-wingers rather than the version we actually have who would do precisely none of the cool things that we're threatened they would.

Also, it's a really weird flex to say, "If people were actually given what they voted for, we'd not see power again for decades, so we must stop it at all costs." I mean, it's probably true, but you probably shouldn't be saying it out loud.

Puja
Even his own argument has no logic. Assuming that what he described is a threat to someone’s view of how the uk should be governed, his continued presence as PM is making a Labour victory more likely than another leader.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote:Boris Johnson saying he has to stay as Prime Minister, because if he goes, then a Labour/SNP coalition of chaos will bring in proportional representation and lock the Conservatives out of power.

Puja
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja
Pretty insane to claim that the SNP, the greatest beneficiaries of the first past the post system, would scrap it. Labour are also extremely unlikely to do so. Unfortunately.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Michelle Donelan has actually done something other than nod along to the PM of the day!

Although an argument could be made that she's being pre-emptively loyal to the new regime by following the party line and resigning.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

So he’s only announced his resignation for ‘the Autumn’ and they have however long that is to find a replacement. Still not understanding the excitement around this. Having someone who is more competent and efficient at being a total fucking cunt doesn’t sound like anything positive to me.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

When do we get your in-depth analysis of the total fucking cunts who may replace him?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

From what I can tell, BJ's "compromise" of a post-dated resignation for October isn't flying - though we're waiting on some big names speaking out against it.

Raab as favourite for caretaker PM, May also being name-checked, but unsure how to make it happen
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:From what I can tell, BJ's "compromise" of a post-dated resignation for October isn't flying - though we're waiting on some big names speaking out against it.

Raab as favourite for caretaker PM, May also being name-checked, but unsure how to make it happen
May would be hilarious. She must be loving all of this.

Puja
Backist Monk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Mellsblue wrote:When do we get your in-depth analysis of the total fucking cunts who may replace him?
It looks a very shallow pool - all this cr@p about voting for your local MP not the leader is technically so, but it could be turkeys voting for crimbo at the ensuing leadership election.
The few erstwhile likely candidates have all badly clotted their boppybooks it seems.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

The rationale for May is that A] Boris would hate it, and B] she's the only option who has actual experience as a PM, with a bonus that she has actual experience of handing over power to a new tory leader, and handled herself well whilst doing so.

And almost immediately after typing that, it emerges he's managed to name a full cabinet - which presumably ends that theory.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:So he’s only announced his resignation for ‘the Autumn’ and they have however long that is to find a replacement. Still not understanding the excitement around this. Having someone who is more competent and efficient at being a total fucking cunt doesn’t sound like anything positive to me.
I'm willing to celebrate the marginal gains of getting rid of probably the worst Prime Minister this country has ever had and avoiding 2 years of him lurching across different populist policies in ever more desperate attempts to save himself (and, worst case scenario, succeeding). Yes, the incoming will likely be a total fucking cunt, but they won't be as bad as Boris, who is an absolute sociopath.

I reserve the right to eat these words in 6 months time, especially since I see Suella Braverman has tossed her hat into the ring.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah fair enough.

Mells send me your shortlist and I’ll give a three word review for each candidate. I won’t lie, there will be a fair bit of copying and pasting.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah fair enough.

Mells send me your shortlist and I’ll give a three word review for each candidate. I won’t lie, there will be a fair bit of copying and pasting.
You need as many as 3?
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:So he’s only announced his resignation for ‘the Autumn’ and they have however long that is to find a replacement. Still not understanding the excitement around this. Having someone who is more competent and efficient at being a total fucking cunt doesn’t sound like anything positive to me.
I'm willing to celebrate the marginal gains of getting rid of probably the worst Prime Minister this country has ever had and avoiding 2 years of him lurching across different populist policies in ever more desperate attempts to save himself (and, worst case scenario, succeeding). Yes, the incoming will likely be a total fucking cunt, but they won't be as bad as Boris, who is an absolute sociopath.

I reserve the right to eat these words in 6 months time, especially since I see Suella Braverman has tossed her hat into the ring.

Puja
Considering the alternatives I have no confidence that we'll get a new PM who makes things better for the country, even if (or perhaps, because) they are more effective than Johnson.

But then . . . will he actually go? Can we believe that he'll stand down at some future time? Can we take his word for anything? Any promise to leave later is just a ploy to gain time, hope for a worsening Ukraine situation or EU trade war or anything which will allow him to argue that the country cannot face the disruption of a change in leadership at this time.

At the very, very least, Johnson can't bear the idea that his term will be shorter than May's 3 years and 12 days. At the moment he's just short (at 2 years 349 days).
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Who knows who will be the runners and riders in the final furlong, which was 50% of my point.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Looks like the lying, unprincipled charlatan will hang around like a bad smell as long as he can.
The sooner he goes, the better. He was never remotely fit to hold office and his continuing presence as PM degrades our democracy.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

The only palatable candidate is Wallace. All others are trash.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Puja

Post by Puja »

Jonathan Pie says it better than me:

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Zhivago wrote:The only palatable candidate is Wallace. All others are trash.
I've said it before (twice), and I'll say it again - Larry Mouser for PM
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:The only palatable candidate is Wallace. All others are trash.
He would be my pick out of the obvious candidates.