Snap General Election called

Stom

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:10 am The Murdoch press devil had a readership of circa 1.64mil in 2020 according Wikipedia which isn’t a huge chunk of the electorate and as a reader of one of his papers I can tell you that they haven’t been complimentary of this govt or the previous one. I may just be brainwashed by Murdoch’s evil genius but the whole ‘the left only lose because of the press’ argument needs a rethink.
The press isn't newspapers anymore, though, it's social media and influencers.

Have you seen the quantity of far right and libertarian media out there? It's impossible to avoid and it comes with the veneer of respectability. The recent show, split into many clips, by that beardy twunt going around asking people what is a woman, is just one of them.

The fact that not one of the guests said: gender is a social construct shows how edited those shows are, and they are pervasive. Everywhere and covering every libertarian topic such as the traditional family, 'modern - read toxic - masculinty, the role of the state, investment advice, how to treat people as a rich person, how to look rich, and so on.

It's problematic, and people cannot tell the difference between it and actual fact-based media. THIS is the media that the modern Labour party has to contend with, and it's far harder to shake off than Murdoch.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:54 am
Mellsblue wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:10 am The Murdoch press devil had a readership of circa 1.64mil in 2020 according Wikipedia which isn’t a huge chunk of the electorate and as a reader of one of his papers I can tell you that they haven’t been complimentary of this govt or the previous one. I may just be brainwashed by Murdoch’s evil genius but the whole ‘the left only lose because of the press’ argument needs a rethink.
The press isn't newspapers anymore, though, it's social media and influencers.

Have you seen the quantity of far right and libertarian media out there? It's impossible to avoid and it comes with the veneer of respectability. The recent show, split into many clips, by that beardy twunt going around asking people what is a woman, is just one of them.

The fact that not one of the guests said: gender is a social construct shows how edited those shows are, and they are pervasive. Everywhere and covering every libertarian topic such as the traditional family, 'modern - read toxic - masculinty, the role of the state, investment advice, how to treat people as a rich person, how to look rich, and so on.

It's problematic, and people cannot tell the difference between it and actual fact-based media. THIS is the media that the modern Labour party has to contend with, and it's far harder to shake off than Murdoch.
Agreed completely; however, have you seen the quantity of the left’s content? It’s an issue on all sides. Twitter’s U.K. users are mainly younger and left of centre, Twitter has said it’s own algorithm amplifies right of centre political tweets over left of centre… it’s a complete mess. Sadly, it’s the Wild West where, if you have the spare time, any old idiot can become an ‘expert’, untruths can be posted with no verification and the echo chambers will just intensify that, see the Coffey ‘quote’ earlier in this thread.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

If I'm reading this right (paraphrase, not quote, obviously)... "You MUST vote against your own manifesto pledge, or be fired - even if you're not in the country (unless you're called Boris, of course - we love you Boris)" All wrapped up in a lie that it's a confidence motion - pretty sure those are no confidence votes, not votes in opposition of their own manifesto.

Oh, and I am not Beth Rigby, nor related to Beth Rigby; Beth Rigby's opinions are (presumably) the opinions of Beth Rigby, and not necessarily shared by Which Tyler
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:11 pm

If I'm reading this right (paraphrase, not quote, obviously)... "You MUST vote against your own manifesto pledge, or be fired - even if you're not in the country (unless you're called Boris, of course - we love you Boris)" All wrapped up in a lie that it's a confidence motion - pretty sure those are no confidence votes, not votes in opposition of their own manifesto.

Oh, and I am not Beth Rigby, nor related to Beth Rigby; Beth Rigby's opinions are (presumably) the opinions of Beth Rigby, and not necessarily shared by Which Tyler
It's the same tactic Boris used on the Brexit vote - self-declaring it a confidence issue where the punishment was stripping of the whip and expulsion from the party.

Big risk though - if they face a rebellion of 40 MPs, would they really expel all of them? Would they not then have no incentive not to vote with an actual confidence motion if they're already on their way out?

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:33 pm

It's the same tactic Boris used on the Brexit vote - self-declaring it a confidence issue where the punishment was stripping of the whip and expulsion from the party.

Big risk though - if they face a rebellion of 40 MPs, would they really expel all of them? Would they not then have no incentive not to vote with an actual confidence motion if they're already on their way out?

Puja
A dangerous game. For any back-bencher in an unsafe seat (there are quite a lot of them now) there may not be that much to lose. For red wall Tories it might be the time to defect to Labour or go looking for a job outside Parliament. Risking your majority just to save fracking! Incredible.

Looking forward to this.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Hunt's reshuffle
Last edited by Which Tyler on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Please can someone do the humane thing and take the Govt aside and put it out of its misery.

This farce cannot go on any longer.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

apparently its not about policy but some indiscretion or mistake.....so, a matter of honour :) Who knew.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:56 pm
In fairness, she cocked up and resigned. Cough 'Truss' cough

Though her resignation letter has a hint of....thank god I screwed up, as I don't want to be part of this crock of sh&t...and funnily enough, makes it a double barrelled blast at automaton Liz.

Another cracking day for Planet Truss- overrules (by mistake I think) Hunt's briefing on reviewing triple lock, special advisor suspended, B of E wasn't briefed on mini non budget, Bravermann goes, and suspect she'll be fracked ce soir.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:11 pmIn fairness, she cocked up and resigned. Cough 'Truss' cough
Yeah, of course she did - in no way was she told to resign today or be fired tomorrow.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:31 pm
Banquo wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:11 pmIn fairness, she cocked up and resigned. Cough 'Truss' cough
Yeah, of course she did - in no way was she told to resign today or be fired tomorrow.
neither of us know, unless you have a fully checked source ;). Either way, she's served a cold revenge.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

If we carry on at this rate, 2 crazy tories lost this week - how long before we run out of crazy tories? or does the GE still come first?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:35 pm If we carry on at this rate, 2 crazy tories lost this week - how long before we run out of crazy tories? or does the GE still come first?
I just can't see even this bizarre mob voting to get themselves voted out of office. There may be enough to do it by accident because they know how crazy Liz is and want shot whatever the consequences.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I’m not getting carried away it’ll make a huge difference overall but Braverman getting canned is at least one thing to happy about. What a horrible fucking bitch.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:21 pm I’m not getting carried away it’ll make a huge difference overall but Braverman getting canned is at least one thing to happy about. What a horrible fucking bitch.
And taking pot-shots at Truss on the way out. Excellent news all around. Appears to be no loyalty amongst IEA stooges.

Shapps very much like Hunt - might not be competent or morally good, but at least they're not possessed with a zeal for change.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:27 pm
Puja wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:33 pm

Puja
A dangerous game. For any back-bencher in an unsafe seat (there are quite a lot of them now) there may not be that much to lose. For red wall Tories it might be the time to defect to Labour or go looking for a job outside Parliament. Risking your majority just to save fracking! Incredible.

Looking forward to this.
Two minutes before the vote, they quietly murmured that it was not, in fact, a confidence vote, but no-one's quite sure whether they plan to stick with their original plans and expel the 30 or so that rebelled or if they're just going to pretend that it didn't happen.

Rumours of Tory MPs being physically shoved and barracked into the division chambers. Rumours that the whips have resigned. Rumours of everything. Utter fucking madness. Surely this cannot carry on.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

This quote just sums up everything wrong with our current political system...
Ruth Edwards, the Conservative MP for Rushcliffe, did not say she would vote against the government, saying: “I don’t support fracking, but I am even less keen on the idea of letting the Labour party play at being in government for the day.”
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

How do you think it works in other countries? No party line, just vote however you want on any given bill?!?!!?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:28 pm How do you think it works in other countries? No party line, just vote however you want on any given bill?!?!!?
Isn't that the way our Parliament is designed to work though? We elect a representative who then represents our area's interests and votes according to those, rather than dogmatically sticking to party lines?

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:34 pm Bloody hell
Sadly it appears that Truss not voting was a glitch in the website - she's now down as voting No. Mind, some interesting old names in those who abstained. Boris Johnson, Nadine Dorries, Theresa May, Kwasi Kwarteng, Priti Patel, David Davies, fellow Britannia Unchained author Chris Skidmore. Be hilarious if they all got the boot.

36 abstainers. Not quite enough to tip the balance of power in Parliament, but a hell of a rebellion.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Krishnan Guru-Murthy caught on a hot mike after interviewing Steve Baker saying, "What a cunt."

Both that and this twitter exchange made me laugh out loud:
capture2.jpg
Puja

ETA - also:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

maaaaaad!!!!

Cant link it but Charles Walker beeb interview.....
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Lol. Wow.

I don't know if there was more of it, but yeah that was worth watching.