EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

TheNomad

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by TheNomad »

Random thought: it's a shame Loader isn't being given more a look in. The guy has a lot going for him, and a pretty complete attacking game
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Not a random thought. To be fair, the simple reason he hasn’t been ‘given more of a look-in’ is because he barely played for Irish last season.

He’s definitely putting himself on the radar now though.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Yeah, he's had a lot of time out with injury, so not had a chance to stake a claim.

If he stays fit and performing, he'll be in the mix, but wing is very competitive from an England point of view. Also against him will be a reluctance to introduce too many new players into the setup from the 6N onwards prior to the RWC.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Always room for a bolter though - who would have called McConnochie and Ludlam making the RWC squad in October 2018 for example?

I hope it’s Murley and McGuigan this time, but who knows? Loader could be a bolt from the blue.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

True, it's a longer shot, but there will always be someone who makes a late run onto the plane for the RWC.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

I think Loader has greater potential than Murley. Murley deserves it more, because he's delivered more in recent times.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

In what area? I haven't seen much of him.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Big fan of Loader. Always preferred him in terms of England potential to OHC.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:45 pm In what area? I haven't seen much of him.
Loader's excellent in the air and very strong through contact. He also has the Nowell-like instinct of popping up in the right place at the right time.

I would still have Murley at present though. His top-end pace is significantly higher than Loader, the strength difference is minimal, and his finishing skills are excellent.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

In defence of Mr Edward Jones:

Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:07 pm In defence of Mr Edward Jones:

...I don't think he's as bothered as most of us about the 6N tbh. Wrongly imo, but hey.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I remember Jones saying that the best thing about winning a 6 Nations is that it gets fans/media off his back so he can build for the World Cup in relative peace.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Anyone else starting to feel like Dom Barrow isn’t going to force his way in to the England team after all? He just seemed so sure.
chris18501

Post by chris18501 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:03 am Anyone else starting to feel like Dom Barrow isn’t going to force his way in to the England team after all? He just seemed so sure.
Since returning to the game, Alex unfortunately decided Jono Ross was the perfect mentor for him.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mellsblue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:07 pm In defence of Mr Edward Jones:

My profuse apologies.
Puja

Post by Puja »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ix-nations

Lawes confirmed out of the whole AIs as he hasn't progressed forward in his RTP protocols, so likely to face a decent spell on the sidelines. Great news that they're treating it seriously; you can only wonder about the number of previous internationals who played on through periods like this.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sad for him, but I hope we can give an actual flanker a go in his place.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I am increasingly joining the anti Jones camp on here but I do think the England set up generally seems to be taking head injuries more seriously than some of the others.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:13 pm Sad for him, but I hope we can give an actual flanker a go in his place.
Good point- Lawes in fairness has grown into a quality 6 to my surprise, but that doesn't mean Itoje (and TBF Coles as it is) do/will do a job there. I'd think Curry, Willis, Billy would be a good combo.
rjjb

Post by rjjb »

Banquo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:25 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:13 pm Sad for him, but I hope we can give an actual flanker a go in his place.
Good point- Lawes in fairness has grown into a quality 6 to my surprise, but that doesn't mean Itoje (and TBF Coles as it is) do/will do a job there. I'd think Curry, Willis, Billy would be a good combo.
So no real extra lineout option?
Puja

Post by Puja »

rjjb wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:02 pm
I still maintain it's not necessary. Back in 2019, we bested New Zealand when they played a lock at 6 to target our lineout and gods know that the problem against South Africa in 2019 wasn't our lineout.

90% of lineout calling is deception and movement to enable you to go up uncontested and, if the opposition has got someone up to match Willis going up at back ball, then the problem is structural and wouldn't be fixed by picking someone 6ft7 instead of 6ft3.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:31 pm

I still maintain it's not necessary. Back in 2019, we bested New Zealand when they played a lock at 6 to target our lineout and gods know that the problem against South Africa in 2019 wasn't our lineout.

90% of lineout calling is deception and movement to enable you to go up uncontested and, if the opposition has got someone up to match Willis going up at back ball, then the problem is structural and wouldn't be fixed by picking someone 6ft7 instead of 6ft3.

Puja
Yes the fixation does appear to be on the one game we got out muscled as opposed to the other three games Vs the major SH nations where we won with dual opensides. Perhaps just a horse's for courses option where we bring back the third lock just for South Africa? Especially when, unlike South Africa, we don't have five or six really good locks to choose from. We have one really good lock, a few with promise, three adequate lumps and a decent one that's slimmed down to play 6.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

both willis and curry are lineout options for club. We need to be a bit more flexible, trade off.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:10 pm

both willis and curry are lineout options for club. We need to be a bit more flexible, trade off.
I could understand if we had two good locks and then we're picking Coles at 6 because we wanted more carrying ability. Iffy in defence though he was an effective carrier in attack (and we certainly needed one). Hill though plodded around with little effect. Coles was on his debut I'll excuse some jitters, Hill is established and anonymous.

Hopefully we see some actual flankers on the flank this weekend.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:30 am
Banquo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:10 pm

I could understand if we had two good locks and then we're picking Coles at 6 because we wanted more carrying ability. Iffy in defence though he was an effective carrier in attack (and we certainly needed one). Hill though plodded around with little effect. Coles was on his debut I'll excuse some jitters, Hill is established and anonymous.

Hopefully we see some actual flankers on the flank this weekend.
I must have missed the defensive iffiness- I didn't see the first 25- what did he miss/not do well?