Snap General Election called

Puja

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Puja »

So let me see if I have this right:

Liz Truss' phone was hacked, and an entire year's worth of state level secrets were intercepted by foreign powers. Including negotiations with the Ukraine and key allies during her time as foreign secretary.

Boris Johnson then decided to enforce a media blackout, because he didn't want to spike her chances of becoming leader. Boris Johnson not only allowed a minister compromised by Russian intelligence into No. 10, he actively assisted in it.

Fuck me.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:06 pm So let me see if I have this right:

Liz Truss' phone was hacked, and an entire year's worth of state level secrets were intercepted by foreign powers. Including negotiations with the Ukraine and key allies during her time as foreign secretary.

Boris Johnson then decided to enforce a media blackout, because he didn't want to spike her chances of becoming leader. Boris Johnson not only allowed a minister compromised by Russian intelligence into No. 10, he actively assisted in it.

Fuck me.

Puja
The biggest cyber security risk to government is the political leadership. Rules just don’t apply to them.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Not quite sure which thread this belongs in, but, this is golden!

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:00 pm Not quite sure which thread this belongs in, but, this is golden!

There are no words.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:56 pmThere are no words.
Oh, there are - but they might get me banned.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Matt Hancock goes on I'm a celebrity and is suspended. What a dick.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:48 am Matt Hancock goes on I'm a celebrity and is suspended. What a dick.
Apparently, he also has a book due out for Christmas. Can't imagine that being a best seller, but all publicity helps I'm sure.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Instead of austerity, how about cancelling HS2?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ty-project

Labour ought to argue for this. Easy win.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:50 pm Instead of austerity, how about cancelling HS2?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ty-project

Labour ought to argue for this. Easy win.
I'm often wary about the constant reviews on long-term projects as they add to cost and cause delays. Pre-covid, I would have supported HS2. Now I'm not so sure. I took the train to London yesterday and it was 25% full. On the train out of London at 1630, there were plenty of seats. I know that the intention is to provide greater capacity on the line, not necessarily quicker journeys, but I do wonder if that capacity requirement is still there.

HS3 on the other hand is still definitely an urgent requirement as rail services between the major northern cities are rubbish.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Heard a chap talking it about economic growth in America. Apparently the highest periods of growth coincide with high corporation tax. As high as 60%. The theory being that no company wants to pay that sort of tax on profits, so instead of doing so, they invest in longer term projects and pay their staff better. Imagine that! Better paid staff are more productive.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Hardly a revelation.......
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

morepork wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:15 pm Hardly a revelation.......
Well, quite

And yet we keep being told that reducing taxes on the rich will encourage them to invest and, definitely not, just trouser the profits and suppress wages.

I’m starting to think the government doesn’t have my best interests at heart.
Stom

Post by Stom »

canta_brian wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:23 pm
Well, quite

And yet we keep being told that reducing taxes on the rich will encourage them to invest and, definitely not, just trouser the profits and suppress wages.

I've been banging this drum for a loooong time. Reaganomics/Thatcheromics does not work. It destroys growth by making the easy option incredibly appealing. It needs to be reversed asap, but people like Banquo are vehemently against it as it will kill their precious pension pots overnight ;)

But we need to cut the stock market adrift asap, and raise corp. tax.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:51 pm
Well, quite

It needs to be reversed asap, but people like Banquo are vehemently against it as it will kill their precious pension pots overnight ;)

Yeah, I'm such a ba5tard having saved up for my retirement having paid shitloads in tax at the same time :)
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:30 am

Well, quite

It needs to be reversed asap, but people like Banquo are vehemently against it as it will kill their precious pension pots overnight ;)

Yeah, I'm such a ba5tard having saved up for my retirement having paid shitloads in tax at the same time :)
Absolutely, you're a monster.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:44 am

:lol: :lol:
on a serious note, whilst I wouldn't start from here, not sure how you rip it up and start again. Definitely need to look at corporate governance :)
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 am

on a serious note, whilst I wouldn't start from here, not sure how you rip it up and start again. Definitely need to look at corporate governance :)
That was in the other thread :)

As I said there, I don't know the intricacies of how to do it specifically, but the government needs to guarantee private pensions up to a certain amount, and then tax gains on the stock market and dividends at crazy sums. Make it a zero sum game except for under very strictly controlled circumstances around size of company, time limits, and so on.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Stom wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:43 pm

As I said there, I don't know the intricacies of how to do it specifically, but the government needs to guarantee private pensions up to a certain amount, and then tax gains on the stock market and dividends at crazy sums. Make it a zero sum game except for under very strictly controlled circumstances around size of company, time limits, and so on.
Or you just make state pensions more generous but then that means everyone gets the same in retirement which may also not be seen as fair.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Or you just make state pensions more generous but then that means everyone gets the same in retirement which may also not be seen as fair.
There are other ways to save for retirement...

But I do think the state pension should be increased anyway...that's another discussion, though.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

canta_brian wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:02 pm Heard a chap talking it about economic growth in America. Apparently the highest periods of growth coincide with high corporation tax. As high as 60%. The theory being that no company wants to pay that sort of tax on profits, so instead of doing so, they invest in longer term projects and pay their staff better. Imagine that! Better paid staff are more productive.
There was some research done by Corey Husak on tax in the US and growth. The basic summary is that tax levels made no difference to growth either way, but did have an effect on redistribution of wealth when talking about top rates of personal tax.

My view is that its hard to put growth down to one aspect alone; there are lots of factors why the US might grow or shrink and higher taxes in the US tend to be a lot lower than taxers in other countries, so perhaps better to look at impact where taxes are much higher?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Stom wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:24 pm

But I do think the state pension should be increased anyway...that's another discussion, though.
Cash savings are a busted flush and I wouldnt invest directly in stocks and shares as an individual. Pensions are a good way to invest money for the future over the long term and should just be encouraged as too few take them seriously until its too late. The state pension alone isnt a great level of income and bank savings will run out pretty quickly. With finl salary schemes basically gone now expect for some very limited cases, it would have to be a water tight scheme to replace the current system without screwing a lot of people over.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 pm
Stom wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:24 pm

Cash savings are a busted flush and I wouldnt invest directly in stocks and shares as an individual. Pensions are a good way to invest money for the future over the long term and should just be encouraged as too few take them seriously until its too late. The state pension alone isnt a great level of income and bank savings will run out pretty quickly. With finl salary schemes basically gone now expect for some very limited cases, it would have to be a water tight scheme to replace the current system without screwing a lot of people over.
For a better society, the current system needs killing, though. Companies should not be beholden to their stakeholders over both employees and the market. So, yes, an increase in state pension, drastically, will be needed, as well as alternative savings schemes.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Genuine question. Was there ever a time when pensions were paid from the profits of just the company you worked for?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

canta_brian wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:23 am Genuine question. Was there ever a time when pensions were paid from the profits of just the company you worked for?
I believe that was the case some time ago. Larger companies would have had in-house pension schemes based on a final salary package. Many of these were scrapped as they became unaffordable.

The situation in this country now for many is that the employee pays a percentage of their salary and the company pays a percentage, often double. The administration and investment of that is managed by a third party. Benefit here is that all companies can now provide a pension rather than just the big players.