EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Mikey Brown

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

Have they even been on the pitch at the same time since Scotland?
Danno

Post by Danno »

They have not.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Fairly eye catching performance by Hodge on the weekend

He still looks a little light, and I'd be quite surprised if he was ever a regular England starter, but he's a talented player for sure
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Interesting read: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c2a4 ... a0087c3761

Might explain some of Itoje’s dip in form.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

According to Alex Lowe in The Times, the mood music is that Evans will be with England in the long term and the Wigster will be coaching kicking and helping Sir Kevin on defence.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I guess Wigglesworth must be a really good person to have in a group, he is clearly much appreciated in any squad he contributes to whilst not appearing outstanding on the outside. Perhaps the grease that keeps the machine going. After all, coaching kicking is basically assistant to both attack and defence coaches right?

I very much like the idea of Evans being involved. That is one for the premiership as a coaching development system.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

To be fair to Wigglesworth the Tigers attack has improved since he became head coach and he was credited with coming up with the little play that got one of the Tigers tries in the final last year. There must be something about him, in interviews he comes across very well and very knowledgeable. I think the head coach role is way to early for him but he has the makings of a good coach. Having him work alongside a more experienced attack coach makes sense. A general assistant role with an onus on positioning and tactical kicking strategy would probably suit and gets him in the building which is clearly what Borthwick wants.

A lot of Saints fans are resigned to the fact that Vesty is going to join up with England in the summer so who knows what England have lined up for the summer.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:01 am A lot of Saints fans are resigned to the fact that Vesty is going to join up with England in the summer so who knows what England have lined up for the summer.
Bloody hell. How many attack coaches do we need?!

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:46 am
FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:01 am A lot of Saints fans are resigned to the fact that Vesty is going to join up with England in the summer so who knows what England have lined up for the summer.
Bloody hell. How many attack coaches do we need?!

Puja
3 for Faz alone won't be enough.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Just came across this in an otherwise innocuous article:
Borthwick revealed that Leicester’s Chessum will have surgery on Monday on the ankle dislocation he sustained against France, and is expected to be sidelined for five to six months.

“The determination he has to be back on the field and back in an England shirt is quite immense,” Borthwick said. “[We hope] he will have the opportunity to be fit and back on the field in readiness for the Rugby World Cup.”
Balls. So much for that problem position being solved.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:51 am Just came across this in an otherwise innocuous article:
Borthwick revealed that Leicester’s Chessum will have surgery on Monday on the ankle dislocation he sustained against France, and is expected to be sidelined for five to six months.

“The determination he has to be back on the field and back in an England shirt is quite immense,” Borthwick said. “[We hope] he will have the opportunity to be fit and back on the field in readiness for the Rugby World Cup.”
Balls. So much for that problem position being solved.

Puja
Balls!

That's a real blow for Tigers and England. Such bad luck he's been in such good form this season.
stepsider

Post by stepsider »

Jack Willis has apparently extended his Toulouse deal for another year, with an option to stay until 2025.
Stom

Post by Stom »

stepsider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:04 pm Jack Willis has apparently extended his Toulouse deal for another year, with an option to stay until 2025.
Which surely moves him from being a Wasps nomad to being a Toulouse player, thus making him ineligible.

I would. England rugby need to be harsh as hell on overseas contracts if they're to see out this storm. You're perfectly capable of taking an overseas contract, just you won't play for England while you do.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Stom wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:18 am
stepsider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:04 pm Jack Willis has apparently extended his Toulouse deal for another year, with an option to stay until 2025.
Which surely moves him from being a Wasps nomad to being a Toulouse player, thus making him ineligible.

I would. England rugby need to be harsh as hell on overseas contracts if they're to see out this storm. You're perfectly capable of taking an overseas contract, just you won't play for England while you do.
Pearson, T Curry, Ludlam, B Curry and Earl. We're not short of opensides.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:18 am

How long was his Wasps contract for? What are his offers like in the Prem? etc etc. Your take is very simplistic and therefore wrong, imo.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

How does "what are his offers like in the Prem?" even come in to it? Any player can say they're being offered better in France, isn't that the whole issue? I get it if you're Zach Henry or Henry Thomas, but I can't believe nobody is willing to pay a decent salary for Willis in the 23/24 season.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Because he has a very short career, which he more than most knows can be ended in a split second, and he should be allowed to maximise his earning power after losing his job through no fault of his own. For all we know, and I’d suggest it’s very likely, the offers on the table are substantially below that which he had at Wasps, on which his mortgage etc etc are based.
I do find it strange that we’re happy to tell a player who lost his job through no fault of his own that he must now limit his ability to earn, and make the best choice for his family, because we’re more concerned about the results of an England sports team…
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

But it's not asking him to limit his job in literally any way that hasn't applied to every player before him.

Yes he lost his job. He then got a new one with Toulouse, which is fine for this season and up to the RWC (regarding England selection) I think?

I don't see how anything that happens from that point on is "asking him to limit his ability to earn" in any way that we aren't asking the same of Itoje, Farrell etc.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I don’t remember Itoje and Farrell being made redundant, particularly during a time when clubs are so cash strapped.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:57 am I don’t remember Itoje and Farrell being made redundant, particularly during a time when clubs are so cash strapped.
Watson was though, by Bath. Should he be allowed special circumstances as well?

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

It's harsh on Jack Willis I agree but the precedent is required for the protection of Premiership. As Jack knows only to well, times are tough and if England are willing to select overseas based players then we will quickly see an exodus of talent. Being able to earn an extra £100k a year in salary over in France plus still get the £20k match fee is to enticing for players with the short career like you mention.

Jack had six months to find himself a suitable deal in the UK and didn't.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:10 am
Mellsblue wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:57 am I don’t remember Itoje and Farrell being made redundant, particularly during a time when clubs are so cash strapped.
Watson was though, by Bath. Should he be allowed special circumstances as well?

Puja
Yes.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

He isn't redundant though? He has a job.

He has also just chosen to sign a contract that would make him (or anybody else) ineligible for selection.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:50 am
He isn't redundant though? He has a job.

He has also just chosen to sign a contract that would make him (or anybody else) ineligible for selection.
The ramifications of the redundancy run beyond the signing of a temporary contract signed in extremis. We obviously won’t agree.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Not sure the dispensation ending under the current arrangement is unreasonable myself. He's aware of the rules etc as they stand.