Snap General Election called

Stom

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:27 pm
Stom wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:06 pm

Quite. I seem to recall that conversation ending badly for Theresa May when it was raised a few years ago. Who will have the guts to revisit it? I certainly don't think the younger generation should be hammered to look after pensioners, so its either a tax for everyone for its somehow linked to property (which seems obvious but you still need a pot of money for when there isnt a convenient house to sell to cover the costs).
Or...and this may be radical...linked to corporate profit? Say, like, an actual system for taxing corporations.
Explain more? Do you want corp tax raised higher than 25% ?
Yes. And linked to profit for the entity doing business in the country, so any payments made to parent/sister companies abroad that are not specifically for raw materials do not reduce your booked profit.

Yes, I know we need radical pension reform before anything in my little hobby horse can come to pass, but I feel like it’s the only way to avoid the end of this civilization. Yes, I’d go that far.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:11 am
Stom wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 pm

Or...and this may be radical...linked to corporate profit? Say, like, an actual system for taxing corporations.
Yes. And linked to profit for the entity doing business in the country, so any payments made to parent/sister companies abroad that are not specifically for raw materials do not reduce your booked profit.

Yes, I know we need radical pension reform before anything in my little hobby horse can come to pass, but I feel like it’s the only way to avoid the end of this civilization. Yes, I’d go that far.
By how much? I was surprised at how 'much' corp tax contributes to the tax take.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 am

By how much? I was surprised at how 'much' corp tax contributes to the tax take.
Of course corp tax contributes a lot. Wages are extremely low compared to output for everyone outside the c-suite, and even then, some directors get paid silly low sums considering the risks they take as directors of multi million businesses.

We need to redress that balance: push companies to spend a higher percentage of their revenue on r&d and payroll, rather than feeding shareholders.

The aim should be a very LOW percentage of tax coming from corp tax, with salary tax making up a much higher percentage simply because wages are higher
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

On the other hand, we have disadvantaged ourselves thanks to Brexit so we no longer have ease of access to the EU. We also have just put up our corporation tax to 25%, which is higher than many other countries. That's not attractive to international businesses looking where in Europe they can set up their new enterprises. The increase may not have an immediate effect, but it will be a consideration when the likes of Toyota etc look at their balance sheets and decide whether the UK is a place to continue producing certain components, or whether its easier to move to the mainland of Europe (or Ireland).

This isn't the time to put off potential international investment. Whilst Amazon and others do cause a lot of anger over the amount of tax they pay, or don't pay, to the UK government, trying to punish the entire system isn't the way to redress that. I take your point Stom about R&D and it's a good one. But using taxation as a way to push companies towards that route is something to consider when we are less of a basket case.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:18 pm On the other hand, we have disadvantaged ourselves thanks to Brexit so we no longer have ease of access to the EU. We also have just put up our corporation tax to 25%, which is higher than many other countries. That's not attractive to international businesses looking where in Europe they can set up their new enterprises. The increase may not have an immediate effect, but it will be a consideration when the likes of Toyota etc look at their balance sheets and decide whether the UK is a place to continue producing certain components, or whether its easier to move to the mainland of Europe (or Ireland).

This isn't the time to put off potential international investment. Whilst Amazon and others do cause a lot of anger over the amount of tax they pay, or don't pay, to the UK government, trying to punish the entire system isn't the way to redress that. I take your point Stom about R&D and it's a good one. But using taxation as a way to push companies towards that route is something to consider when we are less of a basket case.
When does that actually become viable though? Surely we'll never reach that point (at the expense of actual tax payers) as long as there are cheaper alternatives?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Corporate welfare is not a sound basis for community. 25%. The poor babies.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:42 am
Banquo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 am

Of course corp tax contributes a lot. Wages are extremely low compared to output for everyone outside the c-suite, and even then, some directors get paid silly low sums considering the risks they take as directors of multi million businesses.

We need to redress that balance: push companies to spend a higher percentage of their revenue on r&d and payroll, rather than feeding shareholders.

The aim should be a very LOW percentage of tax coming from corp tax, with salary tax making up a much higher percentage simply because wages are higher
Funnily enough I was surprised that it was only the fourth highest contributor to the tax take :)
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:49 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:18 pm On the other hand, we have disadvantaged ourselves thanks to Brexit so we no longer have ease of access to the EU. We also have just put up our corporation tax to 25%, which is higher than many other countries. That's not attractive to international businesses looking where in Europe they can set up their new enterprises. The increase may not have an immediate effect, but it will be a consideration when the likes of Toyota etc look at their balance sheets and decide whether the UK is a place to continue producing certain components, or whether its easier to move to the mainland of Europe (or Ireland).

When does that actually become viable though? Surely we'll never reach that point (at the expense of actual tax payers) as long as there are cheaper alternatives?
Is there a tipping point per se or more likely a point where we can be seen as an attractive place for international corporations to be, despite a higher tax rate? Currently, we are not.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Rishi Sunak has just sold what little integrity he has left by announcing a "grooming gangs taskforce" because "political correctness has stopped us from weeding out vile criminals who prey on children and young women." It's playing directly to the Tommy Robinson conspiracy theory that roving gangs of paedophile Muslims prey on white children and operate with impunity because the police are frightened of being called racist, when the evidence is that "grooming gangs" barely exist and even more rarely involve anyone but white people. Absolutely disgusting to be leaning into racist conspiracy theories to try and buy votes.

Even Keir "I support trans rights, but not too much, depends, who's asking" Starmer has managed to get up the gumption to point out that it's racist bollocks and, when even he makes a stand against something that might mean easy votes, you know it must be despicable.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oh, and of course Bravermann is pouring the petrol on the fire:
Ms Braverman said while the fault lay with the perpetrators for "carrying out heinous and vile acts of depravity", there was also "a wilful turning of the blind eye" among authorities.

She said that in towns around the country, "vulnerable white girls living in troubled circumstances have been abused, drugged, raped, and exploited" by networks of gangs of rapists, which she claimed were "overwhelmingly" made up of British-Pakistani males.

Ms Braverman added that "cultural sensitivities" and concerns about "being called bigoted" had played a role in high-profile abuse scandals including in Rochdale and Rotherham.
I'm sure mainstreaming right-wing tropes about people of colour regularly preying on white girls will turn out fine. It's not like it's directly from the KKK playbook or anything.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

What.....cunts.

p.s. keep up the corporate welfare. Its worked out so well thus far. It's fucking pathetic how we pander to these leeches.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:48 am Rishi Sunak has just sold what little integrity he has left by announcing a "grooming gangs taskforce" because "political correctness has stopped us from weeding out vile criminals who prey on children and young women." It's playing directly to the Tommy Robinson conspiracy theory that roving gangs of paedophile Muslims prey on white children and operate with impunity because the police are frightened of being called racist, when the evidence is that "grooming gangs" barely exist and even more rarely involve anyone but white people. Absolutely disgusting to be leaning into racist conspiracy theories to try and buy votes.

Even Keir "I support trans rights, but not too much, depends, who's asking" Starmer has managed to get up the gumption to point out that it's racist bollocks and, when even he makes a stand against something that might mean easy votes, you know it must be despicable.

Puja
The problem is that precise scenario really did happen. But I agree it’s a useful dog whistle
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:16 pm
Puja wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:48 am Rishi Sunak has just sold what little integrity he has left by announcing a "grooming gangs taskforce" because "political correctness has stopped us from weeding out vile criminals who prey on children and young women." It's playing directly to the Tommy Robinson conspiracy theory that roving gangs of paedophile Muslims prey on white children and operate with impunity because the police are frightened of being called racist, when the evidence is that "grooming gangs" barely exist and even more rarely involve anyone but white people. Absolutely disgusting to be leaning into racist conspiracy theories to try and buy votes.

Puja
The problem is that precise scenario really did happen. But I agree it’s a useful dog whistle
It happened exactly once and the inquiry into the investigation revealed very little evidence that "fears about being seen as racist" had any effect on police actions. However, the narrative about "Muslim grooming gangs" has taken over, helped largely by the press making a massive deal out of one instance when none of the other cases of all-white "grooming gangs" were seen as newsworthy.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

That’s incorrect. There’s three high profile examples at least. There are also plenty of groomers who aren’t Pakistani men which is why Braverman is talking shyte again.

But this is a vile crime and denying awkward facts doesn’t help anyone to fight it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 9.html?amp

The experience of Weir in assessing the scale of the problem suggests that nervousness over race was an issue for both South Yorkshire Police and Rotherham council. But there were a lot of reasons why this wasn’t investigated properly
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Wow. It's not exactly the 'almost all British-Pakistani' grooming gang Braverman is telling us (well, Daily Mail readers) all about.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... se-inquiry
morepork

Post by morepork »

If the law can't handle the nuances of a diverse society, they shouldn't be in public service. So sick of wankers hitting the immigrant panic button in lieu of informed policy.
Puja

Post by Puja »

The flood of corruption stories from the Conservatives has almost become a background drone. Who even remembers that Rishi Sunak has been investigated 5 times for different offences before this latest one, all of which in better times would've resulted in a letter of resignation.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:13 pm Wow. It's not exactly the 'almost all British-Pakistani' grooming gang Braverman is telling us (well, Daily Mail readers) all about.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... se-inquiry
Nope. She is cherry picking to suit her agenda. Not exactly new or unique, but the dog whistle element is dangerous.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Can we call this fascism yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nest-moret
MEPs condemn Suella Braverman over arrest of French publisher

Ernest Moret was interrogated by UK counter-terrorist police when he arrived in London on Tuesday

Suella Braverman has been condemned by a group of MEPs over the arrest in London of a French publisher who was interrogated by counter-terrorist police about his political views and “anti-government” contacts.

ARTICLE CONTINUES
morepork

Post by morepork »

Yes. But you might be questioned by the filth. The "centre right" does seem particularly extreme in their actions. Suella Braverman is a syphilitic boil of a public servant.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Can we call it fascism yet?
https://news.sky.com/story/judges-to-lo ... s-12861559
Government policy no longer restricted by the law
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-64467038

And Raab is gone - with about as much grace as could be expected from him (AKA, none at all, and not even the decency to actually follow through with the very first paragraph of his resignation letter)
Puja

Post by Puja »

On the one hand, it's kinda quaint to see someone say, "I'll resign if I'm found guilty," let alone actually follow through. He's like a refugee from the 1990s who has yet to adapt to our culture here in the 2020s.

On the other hand, it's not like a resignation in disgrace means anything in this current government, cf. Bravermann. He'll be back in the next reshuffle.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:23 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-64467038

And Raab is gone - with about as much grace as could be expected from him (AKA, none at all, and not even the decency to actually follow through with the very first paragraph of his resignation letter)
Hilarious non-apology.