EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Peat

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Peat »

skidger wrote:Report today saying that Itoje will probably play 7 and Robshaw 6. They have done this already late in games haven't they after substitutions? Or maybe i am imagining it.
Third test against Aus after Harrison was subbed off in the thirtieth minute.
jngf

Post by jngf »

skidger wrote:Report today saying that Itoje will probably play 7
Glad to hear Eddy Jones is cosidering at least one of my ideas for openside selection - what do you think Mike Brown?:)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

jngf wrote:
skidger wrote:Report today saying that Itoje will probably play 7
Glad to hear that, in extremis, Eddy Jones may possibly be cosidering at least one of my ideas for openside selection - what do you think Mike Brown?:)
Edited.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Has EJ actually said he's likely to pick Iotje a 7, or that in that third test in Oz that Itoje shared the flanker duties with Robshaw? Which is to ask how much of this is serious, and how much the media running with a rumour out of context?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Digby wrote:Has EJ actually said he's likely to pick Iotje a 7, or that in that third test in Oz that Itoje shared the flanker duties with Robshaw? Which is to ask how much of this is serious, and how much the media running with a rumour out of context?
To be honest, I've heard worse ideas. Itoje playing 7 normally isn't the best use of his talents, but Itoje happening to wear a 7 shirt so that Eddie doesn't have to backtrack on Robshaw not being a 7 under any circumstances sounds okay.

His insistence on sticking to that is getting ridiculous by the way. Apparently anyone can be an international level 7 - Haskell, Itoje, Williams, Jones - literally anyone apart from Robshaw (and Kvesic, I suppose).

Puja
Backist Monk
Peat

Post by Peat »

I feel like its time to stop pretending we have an openside and just nominate left and right.

It is quite disturbing how much more like an international openside Itoje is than most of our options mind.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:
Digby wrote:Has EJ actually said he's likely to pick Iotje a 7, or that in that third test in Oz that Itoje shared the flanker duties with Robshaw? Which is to ask how much of this is serious, and how much the media running with a rumour out of context?
To be honest, I've heard worse ideas. Itoje playing 7 normally isn't the best use of his talents, but Itoje happening to wear a 7 shirt so that Eddie doesn't have to backtrack on Robshaw not being a 7 under any circumstances sounds okay.

His insistence on sticking to that is getting ridiculous by the way. Apparently anyone can be an international level 7 - Haskell, Itoje, Williams, Jones - literally anyone apart from Robshaw (and Kvesic, I suppose).

Puja
This. I feel he put himself in a similar position with Tuilagi as a 13 but we'll probably never have to worry about that one. Itoje could compliment Robshaw quite well in theory, unconventional as it is.
Stom

Post by Stom »

In Eddie's system, the one role the openside has to perform is getting off the scrum quickly to smash the 10 or put pressure on the first receiver.

First phase numbers are important. From then on in, I think the roles will change.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:In Eddie's system, the one role the openside has to perform is getting off the scrum quickly to smash the 10 or put pressure on the first receiver.

First phase numbers are important. From then on in, I think the roles will change.
At least as much about being strong over our ball on attack. Being creative or accurate isn't yet a marker, just be hard to move. It's serving us decently enough on 1st/2nd phase, but we do then start to wallow about a fair amount if we're not already going forwards.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Yeah I pretty much agree. I was all for keeping the itoje/kruis partnership going, but with out hask and nobody really stepping up it seems like the best option.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Is the view that Itoje as a lock/blindside is a better openside than Kvesic, or that in EJ's current limited plan that Itoje is a better fit?

I'm still at the point of contending that to see Itoje as offering a fraction of what Kvesic brings as a 7 is somewhat bonkers. Mind I also happen to think EJ will pick Jones or even Clark before he picks Itoje at 7, though I've been wrong plenty often enough in the past.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:Is the view that Itoje as a lock/blindside is a better openside than Kvesic, or that in EJ's current limited plan that Itoje is a better fit?

I'm still at the point of contending that to see Itoje as offering a fraction of what Kvesic brings as a 7 is somewhat bonkers. Mind I also happen to think EJ will pick Jones or even Clark before he picks Itoje at 7, though I've been wrong plenty often enough in the past.
For what Jones seems to want, Kvesic doesn't seem to fit. Jones wants someone powerful enough to break through the first breakdown, and for all Kvesic's linking and jackalling skills, he's not the strongest backrow ever.

I actually think Jones is a great fit, though, and would love to see him in an England shirt.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Jones was excellent again at the weekend. I imagine he'll figure at some point in the Autumn.

Hughes also getting back to his best - but the litmus test will be Sunday against Sarries.

Daly was brilliant - not just in attack but also defence, marshalling well and winning a couple of big turnovers.
Stom

Post by Stom »

And bloody typically, Jones gets injured :(
Peej

Post by Peej »

Balls!
Peat

Post by Peat »

Digby wrote:Is the view that Itoje as a lock/blindside is a better openside than Kvesic, or that in EJ's current limited plan that Itoje is a better fit?

Better for Jones' plan.

Jones' biggest demand of his 7 is to reach the first ruck from a set-piece and secure our own ball. Itoje is a hugely powerful ruck clearer and will do that better than Kvesic. I'd rather see us try and evolve but if Eddie's not interested, he's not interested.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Peat wrote:

Better for Jones' plan.

Jones' biggest demand of his 7 is to reach the first ruck from a set-piece and secure our own ball. Itoje is a hugely powerful ruck clearer and will do that better than Kvesic. I'd rather see us try and evolve but if Eddie's not interested, he's not interested.
When was the last time a team succeeded with someone like Kvesic, though? The closest is Aus with Pocock, but he's a freak of nature, and Kvesic doesn't come close to him in terms of body position and core strength, imo.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Interesting that ashton is rumoured to be off to france (I'm guessing he has given up on international rugby now) and I just read this.

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured ... anterbury/
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:

Puja
100% agree with this ...

Then again, I've said for weeks that Itoje and Robshaw as flankers with Launchbury dropping in at lock is probably our best option. I don't really care that much about who's wearing 6 or 7.

I think Williams is worth looking at, but I can't really see the sense in blooding a debutant against the Boks when Itoje is a very capable flanker and we have a genuinely excellent, experienced player in Launchbury able to step in to the second row. Personally I think the addition of Launchbury would add more than the introduction of a Williams/Jones/Harrison etc.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

As an aside - I would be very disappointed if we ended-up losing Thompson to Wales.

Depending on the severity of Jones' injury, it's definitely worth exploring the option of Thompson as an injury replacement.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Don't worry, according to Wales Online, Gatland's never heard of him.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Has anyone been called into the squad in place of Sam Jones?
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

That's tough on Jones. Dai Young describes the injury as "nasty" He may miss the AI's altogether.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Has Jones settled on a position this season? Mainly a 6?
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Yup - he's playing 6 for Wasps

Agree that Thompson could be the right injury replacement. Shame for the kid, thought he had a good chance of playing.

I was speaking to an ex-rugby player last night, who felt that England's loose 5 should be:

Launch - Kruis/Lawes

Hughes - BV - Itoje

My response was to question whether there would be enough dirty work being done, but he felt that enough of those players had a sufficiently high work rate and skills over the ball to negate that as an issue.

Interested in your thoughts. It'd certainly give us a pretty solid set piece!