The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hugh_woatmeigh

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Blake not expected back then... any other notable omissions?

I see the new 8 is included.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Blake crocked himself last week so is gubbed either way.

Think that's a squad of 40, 41 allowed. No surprise omissions I can think of.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Jarrod Firth not getting a look in?
D'Justice?

And is Vernon properly crocked then?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

ARM wrote:Jarrod Firth not getting a look in?
D'Justice?

And is Vernon properly crocked then?
Firth is crocked.

Hadn't noticed before that DSD and Clegg aren't listed despite us apparently having a spare slot.

Don't know, just know he did something to his shoulder iirc in a club game a few weeks back.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Glasgow look down to the bare bones. Two ways of looking at this game, zebra is still a chance for points or a highly likely five points now looks very doubtful.

Glasgow Warriors: Peter Murchie, Sean Lamont, Nick Grigg, Sam Johnson, Lee Jones, Rory Clegg, Ali Price; Gordon Reid, Corey Flynn, Sila Puafisi, Rob Harley, Robert McApline, Josh Strauss, Fraser Brown, Ryan Wilson (capt).

Replacements: James Malcolm, Djustice Sears-Duru, Zander Fagerson, Callum Hunter-Hill, Matt Fagerson, Grayson Hart, Stuart Hogg, Leonardo Sarto.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Glasgow Warriors travel to Parma to face Zebre tomorrow afternoon and after making his debut off the bench last week, Robert McAlpine comes into the starting line-up, joining Rob Harley in the second-row.Ryan Wilson will captain the Warriors in Parma tomorrow

Ryan Wilson returns to the side as captain, having missed the victory in Newport. He’ll start at number 8 in Parma, with Josh Strauss moving across the back-row to blindside and last week’s Man of the Match Fraser Brown once again starts on the open flank.

The newest Glasgow Warriors centurion Sean Lamont starts for the first time this season on the right wing having reached a century of caps against Connacht on the opening weekend. Lee Jones is named as the other winger and Peter Murchie retains his spot at full-back.

It is a brand new centre partnership with Sam Johnson and Nick Grigg combining in midfield for Glasgow for the first time, after teaming up for Stirling County last weekend.

Ali Price and Rory Clegg who came on as replacements last weekend, will once again combine in the half-backs, the scrum-half getting on the score board the last time he started a match, which was against Cardiff Blues three weeks ago.

Corey Flynn, who opened his Warriors try-scoring account against the Dragons, starts his second consecutive game at hooker and he is joined in the front-row by Gordon Reid and Sila Puafisi.

On the bench Leonardo Sarto could feature against his former club should he come on whilst BT Sport Scottish Academy second-row Callum Hunter-Hill could make his Warriors debut.

Stuart Hogg returns to the match-day 23 having been rested last week and Grayson Hart is the replacement scrum-half.

Brothers Zander and Matt Fagerson have the opportunity to play together for the Warriors for the first time as they both start on the bench. James Malcolm and Djustice Sears-Duru complete the replacements.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “Robert McAlpine has worked hard since he joined us last week and we look forward to him playing alongside Rob Harley. Callum Hunter-Hill impressed us with his workrate during pre-season against Harlequins, and now has an opportunity to make an impact from the bench in a GUINNESS PRO12 game.

“Zebre have shown that they are very strong at home, with a narrow defeat to Cardiff a couple of weeks ago and an impressive first-half performance against Connacht the previous week. Unfortunately for them, the match was then postponed and I’m sure that they will be very determined to carry on this home form against us. We will have to be accurate and work hard to win out in Parma.”

Glasgow Warriors team to play Zebre at Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi. Saturday 8 October (kick-off 5.05pm) - Not on TV, follow all the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. (Glasgow Warriors caps in brackets):

15. Peter Murchie (103)
14. Sean Lamont (100)
13. Nick Grigg (3)
12. Sam Johnson (13)
11. Lee Jones (36)
10. Rory Clegg (9)
9. Ali Price (25)

1. Gordon Reid (98)
2. Corey Flynn (4)
3. Sila Puafisi (25)
4. Robert Harley (141)
5. Robert McAlpine (1)
6. Josh Strauss (92)
7. Fraser Brown (50)
8. Ryan Wilson (114) CAPTAIN

Replacements:

16. James Malcolm (13)
17. Djustice Sears-Duru (1)
18. Zander Fagerson (37)
19. Callum Hunter-Hill* (0)
20. Matt Fagerson* (2)
21. Grayson Hart (25)
22. Stuart Hogg (86)
23. Leonardo Sarto (4)

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (hip / foot), Mark Bennett (head), Scott Cummings (shoulder), Alex Dunbar (back / knee), Simone Favaro (shoulder), Chris Fusaro (knees), Ryan Grant (back), Peter Horne (hand), Greg Peterson (shoulder), Henry Pyrgos (neck), Tim Swinson (ribs), Tjiuee Uanivi (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).

* BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 3 Player
ARM

Post by ARM »

I get that they are resting players for next week but hope a number of that injury list make it back for Leicester.

I see that Peterson and Cummings are out for 6 months each.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

ARM wrote:I get that they are resting players for next week but hope a number of that injury list make it back for Leicester.

I see that Peterson and Cummings are out for 6 months each.
Yikes, those are big losses and I'd hoped Cunmmings might have a meteoric rise.

Will struggle in HC if we don't get at least one of Bennett and Dunbar back! Good job that Johnson seems to have stepped up.

Inexperienced team tomorrow but 5 points would be delightful
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah that's a pretty worrying injury list.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

I wonder how many minutes Davidson would have got by now if he'd stayed at Glasgow.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:I wonder how many minutes Davidson would have got by now if he'd stayed at Glasgow.
Whatever Thomson got plus CHH just now. Davidson looks like he could be a cracker, but the same could be said for the other two. Never going to be room for them all.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Anyway, 18-30 about 60 minutes gone. Grigg playing a blinder, Lamont with two, CHH on the field, Fagerson yellowed in the first for a scuffle.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

28-33 FT
Matt Ha

Post by Matt Ha »

From 11-30 it finished 28-33. I was getting worried.

ps Anybody been watching the All Blacks of late? They are astonishing at the moment and a joy to watch. So much talent, so much skill. Cole the AB's hooker, for example, has been incredible: hooking so the backs get quick ball, sprinting here and there and throwing the most wonderful off loads. The difference between him and Ford is fxxxxx light years.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Was this broadcast?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hp18 wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:I wonder how many minutes Davidson would have got by now if he'd stayed at Glasgow.
Whatever Thomson got plus CHH just now. Davidson looks like he could be a cracker, but the same could be said for the other two. Never going to be room for them all.
Quite right but I still don't think Newcastle was the right move. They're battling relegation every single season without fail. They're not going to play a NEQ kid unless they absolutely have to.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
hp18 wrote:
Quite right but I still don't think Newcastle was the right move. They're battling relegation every single season without fail. They're not going to play a NEQ kid unless they absolutely have to.
They're similar to us in the fact they have to find rough diamonds and get them to standard. Davidson falls into that category.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Matt Ha wrote:From 11-30 it finished 28-33. I was getting worried.

ps Anybody been watching the All Blacks of late? They are astonishing at the moment and a joy to watch. So much talent, so much skill. Cole the AB's hooker, for example, has been incredible: hooking so the backs get quick ball, sprinting here and there and throwing the most wonderful off loads. The difference between him and Ford is fxxxxx light years.
Whilst Ford has many flaws and we could do with more options, that is a bit of a strange dig at Ford in a weeg thread. That's like me saying the difference between Barrett and Russell, Smith and Laidlaw, or any of Wilson/Strauss/CdP/Ashe/Bradbury and Reid/Kaino is light years. Coles is the best hooker and arguably currently one of the best players on the planet of course he is light years ahead of Ford/Rambo/Brown etc.
Big D

Post by Big D »

HP/Any weeg,

Has there been any breakdown of what injuries have happened in training and those that happened in games?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Big D wrote:HP/Any weeg,

Has there been any breakdown of what injuries have happened in training and those that happened in games?
No.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Does anyone see Ryan Grant ever being good again?

Was it just a flash in the pan? Injury? The same changes in the law at the scrum that saw Dickinson become a pretty classy operator?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Does anyone see Ryan Grant ever being good again?

Was it just a flash in the pan? Injury? The same changes in the law at the scrum that saw Dickinson become a pretty classy operator?
Good question. It'seems really strange because he was good in the loose too. It all seemed to go downhill pretty quickly. Hopefully he'll be back but can't be that likely
af73

Post by af73 »

Mikey Brown wrote:Does anyone see Ryan Grant ever being good again?

Warren Gatland's overwhelming show of faith in 2013.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Champions cup coming up on the weekend.
Pool with Leicester Tigers, Munster and Racing 92. What are your predictions? at first glance, Glasgow's prospects look pretty bleak.

Leicester tigers are currently sitting 4th in the Aviva with 4 wins and 2 defeats (3 bonus points). Strong European Pedigree. Not seen them play this season. Can't really comment.

Munster seem to be better than the previous year, however Glasgow have the potential to pummel them. Unfortunately the extensive injury list might come in the way of this.

Racing 92, Top 14 Champion. Lots of money,lots of experience. I expect Glasgow to be buldozed. Nakarawa against his former teammates could be interesting.

I don't see Glasgow beating Racing 92, Leicester and Munster will probably be beaten at home. Can't see Glasgow going through.

EDIT: Confused tables and initially mistook the teams in Glasgow's pool. Sorry
Last edited by Adder on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Highlights from the Zebre game