Ford
May
Farrell
Joseph
Yarde
Brown

George, Marler, Sinckler, Attwood, Harrison, Care (boo), Slade, Daly

Moved from the closed thread as it's an interesting post - Puja
I'd be surprised if Yarde got in ahead of Roko, not that I particularly like either. I'd also be surprised if Harrison gets a bench slot ahead of Morgan or Hughes. Wood + Robshaw is plodding and lacking in impact. Harrison would not be my half-time alternative and I doubt it will be Eddie's.
Who do you fancy as wingers?
I'd probably settle for Roko and May but I'd also be tempted to play Daly there. My concerns about both Yarde and Roko relate to their (apparent) application of rugby brain. I trust neither to do the right thing at the right time in defence or attack. Both have attributes but both lack complete international skill-sets, IMO. Maybe, both can adjust with training but I think at crunch moments doing the right thing is more instinctive.
Stom

Re: Squad for AIs > Wood is back!

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
I'd be surprised if Yarde got in ahead of Roko, not that I particularly like either. I'd also be surprised if Harrison gets a bench slot ahead of Morgan or Hughes. Wood + Robshaw is plodding and lacking in impact. Harrison would not be my half-time alternative and I doubt it will be Eddie's.
Who do you fancy as wingers?
I'd probably settle for Roko and May but I'd also be tempted to play Daly there. My concerns about both Yarde and Roko relate to their (apparent) application of rugby brain. I trust neither to do the right thing at the right time in defence or attack. Both have attributes but both lack complete international skill-sets, IMO. Maybe, both can adjust with training but I think at crunch moments doing the right thing is more instinctive.
Roko does the right thing nearly all the time, tbh. He does have a good brain on him. Yarde makes the right decisions more than he is given credit for, but in this Quins team even when he gets it right it can go wrong...

I definitely think neither compare badly in the brain stakes to May.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
And it's not like Nowell and Watson are error free either
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:
I accept that but I think that they both know what the right decision is at any time at international level.

On another subject, are the back-row injuries sufficient as exceptional circumstances for Eddie to call up Underhill according to the current understanding?
Mellsblue

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mellsblue »

I'd go.
M Rolipola
George
Cole
Launch
Lawes
Robshaw
Harrison
B Rolipola

Youngs
Ford
Yarde
Farrell
Joseph
Roko
Brown (if we had settled wingers I'd go for Haley)

Hartley
Marler
Sinckler
Attwood
Morgan
Care
Slade
May

Backrow and scrumhalf really is a case of typing whilst hating Jones for making you choose.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote:
Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:
I accept that but I think that they both know what the right decision is at any time at international level.

On another subject, are the back-row injuries sufficient as exceptional circumstances for Eddie to call up Underhill according to the current understanding?
Perhaps, but he's injured, no?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

If Watson and particularly Nowell make the correct decision most of the time then the application of that decision is very much wanting.

Yarde does make some errors but you will do when you look to get involved so much. His defence and decision making in defence have been markedly improved as of last season. Roko's only cap was spent completely nullifying the world's most lethal wing (and then getting injured). They're also the two form EQ wings in the Prem. Yarde also has a habit of scoring tries against tier one nations, which is useful.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Digby wrote:

Perhaps, but he's injured, no?
Yes, he's injured. Plus, you'd struggle to make the case with Kvesic, Wallace, Wood, Harrison, Clark and Thompson all fit.
loudnconfident

Post by loudnconfident »

Digby wrote:I'd like to see Robson, Kvescic and Eastmond in there, but Robson not being there is the only (slight) surprise
Certainly Kvesic. Maybe not longterm prospect but you can say the same for the other replacements. And we could try playing with a true openside. And Kvesic held up will in the (B tour) of SA?
jngf

Post by jngf »

Given that squad:( I expect to see 6 Robshaw 7 Wood being selected and it appears Eddie may have based his openside selection policy on the teachings of Andy Robinson:)

That would be Wood's first "official" test in the 7 shirt and we'll belatedly see if he really is England's Warburton...
Last edited by jngf on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Digby wrote:From that 33 I'd opt for

Mako (this might be the first time I've picked him ahead of Marler)
George
Cole
Launch
Lawes
Vunipola
Harrison
Morgan
Youngs
Ford
May
Slade
JJ
Roko
Haley

Taylor (Hartley has only just come back and was flat out bad)
Marler
Sinckler
Attwood
Robshaw
Care
Te'o
Yarde

That's a very harsh selection on Farrell, but I don't want him at 10 ahead of Ford, and with Slade at 12 I don't need him on he bench either. If Ford doesn't play well enough then I'm not averse to having Ford dropped and Farrell replacing him, though it's always tricky to make those calls after just 1-2 games, and Youngs isn't he most reliable 9.

I'm also allowing for May to cover 15, and thus there's no space for Brown either in the 23.
Haley?! He's very promising, granted, but I'd be alarmed at the idea of him starting an international at the moment. He's just not good enough yet. That goes doubly when you consider that Brown seems to be back in form and Goode has been showing far more at AP level than Haley has yet.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Digby wrote:From that 33 I'd opt for

Mako (this might be the first time I've picked him ahead of Marler)
George
Cole
Launch
Lawes
Vunipola
Harrison
Morgan
Youngs
Ford
May
Slade
JJ
Roko
Haley

Taylor (Hartley has only just come back and was flat out bad)
Marler
Sinckler
Attwood
Robshaw
Care
Te'o
Yarde

That's a very harsh selection on Farrell, but I don't want him at 10 ahead of Ford, and with Slade at 12 I don't need him on he bench either. If Ford doesn't play well enough then I'm not averse to having Ford dropped and Farrell replacing him, though it's always tricky to make those calls after just 1-2 games, and Youngs isn't he most reliable 9.

I'm also allowing for May to cover 15, and thus there's no space for Brown either in the 23.
Haley?! He's very promising, granted, but I'd be alarmed at the idea of him starting an international at the moment. He's just not good enough yet. That goes doubly when you consider that Brown seems to be back in form and Goode has been showing far more at AP level than Haley has yet.

Puja
I'd pick him were the team, and the wings in particular, settled. I watched him closely at Sale v Toulon and he was superb. Neither Brown nor Goode are the answer for the next World Cup, heck Goode's not the answer now, and I don't think either are playing that much better than Haley, if at all in Brown's case.
Peej

Post by Peej »

I've seen nothing this season to suggest that Slade should be picked above Farrell.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote: Haley?! He's very promising, granted, but I'd be alarmed at the idea of him starting an international at the moment. He's just not good enough yet. That goes doubly when you consider that Brown seems to be back in form and Goode has been showing far more at AP level than Haley has yet.

Puja
I'd pick him were the team, and the wings in particular, settled. I watched him closely at Sale v Toulon and he was superb. Neither Brown nor Goode are the answer for the next World Cup, heck Goode's not the answer now, and I don't think either are playing that much better than Haley, if at all in Brown's case.
Heh - interestingly, I was basing my opinion largely on the same match. When Exeter first played Toulon in the HEC, I remember how Nowell stood out for handling Habana and looking threatening himself in a largely outclassed side. He looked like he belonged at the higher level. I really didn't see that for Haley against what was really a pretty poor Toulon. His skills didn't come out under the pressure and he looked confined and very plain. His basics were okay, but he didn't show anything above and beyond "okay".

I think there is a danger of fetishising young talent based on their potential. Haley may grow to be a better player, but when a contested high ball goes up or if he's running the ball back against a top-level defence, I'm a lot more comfortable that Brown will deliver the right result right now.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'm a big Robshaw fan I'll admit, but I'm baffled by the idea of moving Billy to 6 to make way for Morgan. Or any other 8 for that matter. He's been outstanding this season.

I may as well get my Quins bias out of the way now. Yarde, while still making some mistakes, has been the one consistent threat for Quins for the last 18 months. He showed some fantastic strength and a great finish for a try (that was weirdly disallowed) at the weekend. Care came off the bench and looked a reasonable amount less sh*t than he has been this season. Marler isn't exactly rocking but he's still worth a squad place. Thank you Puja for noticing my return to form also. I think particularly with May/Roko selected I am the sensible option at 15.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Peej wrote:I've seen nothing this season to suggest that Slade should be picked above Farrell.
I agree, and I've been banging the drum pretty hard for Slade in general. Whilst he's not shown that he should be ahead now there have still been a good few moments of class that very few players in England could hope to replicate. I really just think we just need to get him some game time in some way.

If we picked 10. Ford 12. Farrell 22. Slade and Ford goes down injured, where do we put Slade/Farrell?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote: Haley?! He's very promising, granted, but I'd be alarmed at the idea of him starting an international at the moment. He's just not good enough yet. That goes doubly when you consider that Brown seems to be back in form and Goode has been showing far more at AP level than Haley has yet.

Puja
Heh - interestingly, I was basing my opinion largely on the same match. When Exeter first played Toulon in the HEC, I remember how Nowell stood out for handling Habana and looking threatening himself in a largely outclassed side. He looked like he belonged at the higher level. I really didn't see that for Haley against what was really a pretty poor Toulon. His skills didn't come out under the pressure and he looked confined and very plain. His basics were okay, but he didn't show anything above and beyond "okay".

I think there is a danger of fetishising young talent based on their potential. Haley may grow to be a better player, but when a contested high ball goes up or if he's running the ball back against a top-level defence, I'm a lot more comfortable that Brown will deliver the right result right now.

Puja
I was at the match, so was watching him when he wouldn't be on the TV screen, and he was very good. I'd also say he returned kicks very well and beat the first man quite regularly. I also think he is a better link man when in the line. Whether the tv coverage showed he missed obvious and better alternatives when returning kicks, I don't know. I suppose being at a match allows you to watch players off the ball but tv lets you watch analysis and replays etc. He was also superb in SA over the summer.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Been really frustrating watching Slade this season. He's been a bit hit and miss, not helped by shifting across 10,12,13 in an Exeter backline that seems to change every week. I thought he'd be bang in line to play 12 but that would be hard to justify given his form.

Still reckon he has to play 10 for Exeter, week in week out. Thats where his future lies for club, and for country a shift one over is where I see him.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Peej wrote:I've seen nothing this season to suggest that Slade should be picked above Farrell.
I agree, and I've been banging the drum pretty hard for Slade in general. Whilst he's not shown that he should be ahead now there have still been a good few moments of class that very few players in England could hope to replicate. I really just think we just need to get him some game time in some way.

If we picked 10. Ford 12. Farrell 22. Slade and Ford goes down injured, where do we put Slade/Farrell?
He's not being helped at Exeter at the moment. Difficult for Jones to pick him based on club performances. He's so talented I'd have him in the bench, though. Especially when the alternative is T'eo.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:

You'd put Fazlet into 10 and Slade 12, surely? Since Farrell's been playing 10 and Slade's been playing... wherever the random Exeter midfield selector picks him that week.

I'll swear, Baxter et all have a bingo machine with the names Steenson, Slade, Devoto, Hill and Whitten on the balls (and one with Campagnaro's name on it that's got lost down the back of the desk) and they randomly draw three every week.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mikey Brown wrote:

I also agree. He has shown game reading and movement that is absolutely top class. But he hasn't shown it consistently yet. I would love to see him given a chance, but I trust that Eddie will build him up.

Farrell at 10, Slade 12. Slade has shown he's not really a 10 this season, tbh...although that can change.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Some of Slade's passing in the televised game a few weeks back was top notch and his defence, often underrated (because he is tall and slim?), was excellent. IMO, he needs to pick a position - 10,12, 13 or even15 - and stick to it for half a season at least. If Exeter won't back him to do that he should move to a club that will. Many of us suspect that he could be special at international level but will it ever be proven?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Jones saying Harrison is 1st choice for the 7 shirt according to the BBC.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Haley isn't ideal, but I've never wanted Brown or Goode, so Haley's what there is and maybe he will shine given a chance.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Back row being reported as Robshaw, Harrison and Vunipola