The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hp18

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by hp18 »

A couple of weeks from getting back into training, doesn't mean full training either. Think he'll be back in action end of January at best.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

When's the team named? I thought it would be today lunchtime.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

[BBvideo=560,315][/BBvideo]
General Zod wrote:When's the team named? I thought it would be today lunchtime.
Saturday game ;)
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Had a long week.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Simone Favaro is one of six returning internationals to the Glasgow Warriors side for the European Rugby Champions Cup fixture against Racing 92 Live on BT Sport this Saturday.Simone Favaro returns to the Glasgow Warriors side in Paris tomorrow

Favaro was named Man of the Match in Italy’s victory over South Africa during the Autumn series, and went on to captain his country for the first time the following weekend.

He starts at open-side flanker, joining Number 8 Ryan Wilson and Rob Harley in the back-row.

Jonny Gray is another of those returning, captaining the side from the second-row alongside Tim Swinson.

Up front, Zander Fagerson starts at tighthead, packing down next to Fraser Brown and Gordon Reid.

Stuart Hogg, who will be looking to bring his international form back to the club game, starts at full-back.

Tommy Seymour and Lee Jones start on the wings and Sam Johnson is joined by the returning Alex Dunbar in midfield.

Finn Russell is at stand-off, outside of last weekend’s Man of the Match and try-scorer Ali Price.

Co-captain Henry Pyrgos is involved for the first time since the home game against Treviso having overcome a knee injury and he starts on the bench.

Lock Brian Alainu’uese is also named among the replacements and could make his European debut for the club.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “We have a huge challenge ahead of us this weekend against one of the best teams in Europe, but we will travel to Paris with belief in achieving something special.

"We know Racing 92 well having played them twice last season and have learned a great deal from those experiences.

"We have also been boosted by our returning international players who have helped us have a very good week of training."

Glasgow Warriors team to play Racing 92 in the European Rugby Champions Cup at Stade Yves-du-Manoir. Saturday 10 December live on BT Sport 3 (kick-off 3.15pm UK time). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearnaces and European appearances in brackets:

15. Stuart Hogg (90) (26)
14. Tommy Seymour (91) (21)
13. Alex Dunbar (88) (19)
12. Sam Johnson (18) (5)
11. Lee Jones (41) (20)
10. Finn Russell (53) (14)
9. Ali Price (31) (5)

1.Gordon Reid (103) (17)
2. Fraser Brown (54) (9)
3. Zander Fagerson (40) (8)
4. Tim Swinson (86) (38)
5. Jonny Gray (Captain) (63) (16)
6. Rob Harley (146) (28)
7. Simone Favaro (24) (6)
8. Ryan Wilson (119) (26)

Replacements:

16. Corey Flynn (8) (8)
17. Alex Allan (34) (9)
18. Sila Puafisi (31) (16)
19. Brian Alainu'uese (3) (0)
20. Josh Strauss (98) (19)
21. Henry Pyrgos (112) (23)
22. Mark Bennett (58) (10)
23. Sean Lamont (104) (58)

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (hip / foot), Scott Cummings (shoulder), Peter Horne (knee / ankle), Rory Hughes (knee), Peter Murchie (trunk), Greg Peterson (shoulder), D'arcy Rae (calf), Leonardo Sarto (shoulder), Tjiuee Uanivi (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Whats everyones feeling on Brian Alainu'uese

Thought he had huge potential when he signed but he seems to just be a total penalty machine right now and a bit think in what he tries
hp18

Post by hp18 »

whatisthejava wrote:Whats everyones feeling on Brian Alainu'uese

Thought he had huge potential when he signed but he seems to just be a total penalty machine right now and a bit think in what he tries
He adds bulk, a good carrying option and has great hands, pinged a couple of times but high work rates tend to. I'm not counting the red as it was soft as fuck.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Not hopeful of a result but fingers crossed for a performance this week.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

I take it a draw or even a Leicester win in the other match is a pretty good result for Glasgow? I am in a pub struggling to work it out and hold a conversation about something very boring.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

General Zod wrote:I take it a draw or even a Leicester win in the other match is a pretty good result for Glasgow? I am in a pub struggling to work it out and hold a conversation about something very boring.
Think so.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

hp18 wrote:
General Zod wrote:I take it a draw or even a Leicester win in the other match is a pretty good result for Glasgow? I am in a pub struggling to work it out and hold a conversation about something very boring.
Think so.
Was in the roseburn ttping that: The Jug Room is really good when you see it as a normal room and not just on matchdAyz. I remember the old main stand when I went to my first ever Scotland match. Played Fiji - I'm not sure if substitutes were allowed then coz John Jeffrey ended up on the wing at some point. One of the first times, if not the first time, that Flower of Scotland was played as the anthem. Can remember they printed the words in either the programme or a flyer! Loads of people presumably called Hugh Farquarson-Smylie getting very excited when anthem time came.

And I went to the pissers afterwards near the clock. Was panic stations for a then young buck like me. In fact, I didn't even qualify as a buck, but it was definitely sink or swim.

A brilliant day.

Cheers, Dad.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Anyone able to figure out why Johnson is starting ahead of Bennett? He's relatively solid but I prefer Dunbar at 12 and Bennett brings much better angles and threat at 13.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

switchskier wrote:Anyone able to figure out why Johnson is starting ahead of Bennett? He's relatively solid but I prefer Dunbar at 12 and Bennett brings much better angles and threat at 13.
I honestly have no idea. Bennett was guilty of lacking form a few weeks ago but he's been putting the performances in. He didn't play a huge amount in the AI's so it's not like he needs a rest.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Hogg exposed yet again. Wish I could say I was surprised.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

There are some big lads in that racing team so why on earth are the weeg trying to tackle them at chest height? Mental.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

That was superb. Just superb. Excellent pop from Russell and the line from Dunbar was gorgeous.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Not complaining cause a few decisions going the way of a Scottish team isn't to be sniffed at but both Hogg and then Jones were clearly in touch with no flag.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Fuuuuck. Completely forgot this was on.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

It'll be interesting to see how Toony uses the bench. Guys like Flynn, Lamont and Pyrgos will only slow the game down.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Dan Carter fails to find touch from a pretty straightforward kick. Not often you see that...
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Pyrgos, Flynn and Puafisi are on now. Fagerson and Price were playing very well.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Glasgow seem to be struggling with the individual dancing feet of all these 'galacticos'. But individual effort is all it is so far and the defence is holding on.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Not this nonsense Hogg pot shot stuff again. There are 21 mins left on the clock and you've got them under the cosh whenever you have the ball in hand... Lets see it it pays off... It looks like one of the easier ones tbf.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Distance good, accuracy not.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Someone's been practicing... Pen is good. 23-7 to weeg.