EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Scrumhead

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Scrumhead »

Mellsblue wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Kruis wont play for Saracens before the 6N's. Hasn't played since Dec 24. Haskell not playing this weekend.
How long was he out before he came straight back in for the AI's? Jones seems to be happy to chuck him straight in. He'll have been able to keep up aerobic work with his injury, too.
Yeah - Kruis isn't a massive worry for me. Given that it's a facial injury, he won't be doing full contact training, but he can obviously do the aerobic work and I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he's still doing lineout drills etc.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

If Lawes and Launchbury are fit you could start them and have Kruis and Haskell coming off the bench...that's not too shabby. If he's ok Haskell could get 50/60 mins against Zebre next week, which will be a decent blowout.

Not sure what I'd do at loosehead. I was thinking that even if Mako was fit I would have picked Marler because the French scrum is pretty destructive at the moment. Catt probably the best scrummager of the blokes left, but on debut...Genge is scrummaging well, but maybe all power and little technique...whoever it is will more than likely be up against Antonio, who is bloody enormous. Will be good to see Mullan get tested this weekend against Toulouse, might give us an idea of how he'd go.
Guwuffle

Post by Guwuffle »

Mellsblue wrote:McCall confirms Itoje will play at 6 for the two Champions Cup games coming up...........
Is there any more context to that? Is he suggesting tactical or is it that Rhodes is out after coming off against Exeter?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Guwuffle wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:McCall confirms Itoje will play at 6 for the two Champions Cup games coming up...........
Is there any more context to that? Is he suggesting tactical or is it that Rhodes is out after coming off against Exeter?
"Maro is in very good form. Over the last four weeks, he’s been playing as well as ever. His contributions are enormous, with or without the ball,” McCall said.

“He played the last 30 minutes of the game [against Exeter Chiefs last Saturday] as blind-side for us when Will Skelton came on and he’ll get a couple more run-outs in the back row for us in the next two weeks.”
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

What happened with paul hill's progress? I haven't seen him discussed for a while.
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:What happened with paul hill's progress? I haven't seen him discussed for a while.
He's back behind Kieran Brookes for Northampton, which isn't a bad place for him to be at his age. I'd rather see him again for England in a couple of seasons rather than play the arse out of him now and wrecking him before the age of 25.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:What happened with paul hill's progress? I haven't seen him discussed for a while.
He's back behind Kieran Brookes for Northampton, which isn't a bad place for him to be at his age. I'd rather see him again for England in a couple of seasons rather than play the arse out of him now and wrecking him before the age of 25.

Puja
Which is pretty much what happened to Dan Cole - hence why he's so prematurely aged.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Incredible, just as we were discussing garvey.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/bath-rug ... story.html
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Which is pretty much what happened to Dan Cole - hence why he's so prematurely aged.
Cole only became out and out starter when he was 25.
Before that him and Castro basically split the games.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Tigersman wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Seems like both Eng and Tigers have played him into the ground since. Obviously, observing board tradition, I have no stats to back this up.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Tigersman wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
If you want an example of someone being played into the ground too young - Corbisiero is the poster boy for this.
Same age-group as Nathan Catt who's now in the EPS.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote:
Tigersman wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
If you want an example of someone being played into the ground too young - Corbisiero is the poster boy for this.
Same age-group as Nathan Catt who's now in the EPS.
Marler will be using a Zimmer frame by his mid-30's. He's been a Quins first choice pretty much straight out of age group.
Guwuffle

Post by Guwuffle »

Mellsblue wrote:
Guwuffle wrote:
"Maro is in very good form. Over the last four weeks, he’s been playing as well as ever. His contributions are enormous, with or without the ball,” McCall said.

“He played the last 30 minutes of the game [against Exeter Chiefs last Saturday] as blind-side for us when Will Skelton came on and he’ll get a couple more run-outs in the back row for us in the next two weeks.”
Ta, although they've just named him at 4 for the Scarlets game - so presumably just meant they might move him to six when they bring Skelton on.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Mellsblue wrote:
Guwuffle wrote:

He's playing at lock this weekend.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Zach Mercer has got to be in with a chance of going to Argentina if he keeps up this form until the end of the season.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Guwuffle wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Guwuffle wrote:

Ta, although they've just named him at 4 for the Scarlets game - so presumably just meant they might move him to six when they bring Skelton on.
Looks that way. I wonder if it is a compromise reached with Jones or simply how Sarries want to play it.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Ford 7 from 7 kicks.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue wrote:Ford 7 from 7 kicks.
Is there any reason I can dismiss that and say nine of them mattered?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Ford 7 from 7 kicks.
Is there any reason I can dismiss that and say nine of them mattered?
*affects German accent* nine
Puja

Post by Puja »

Good game between Bath and Bristol. Ford looked like a different player from the distracted man who lost the game up at Newcastle - he's clearly pulled his head out of his transfer shenanigans. Joseph was superb and if Underhill can't learn something from Louw then he's not the player we think he is.

On the other side, Olly Robinson could be an outside bet for England at some point. Classical 7, very hard-working, and has looked at ease in the Premiership this season. Plus, he's got the fun talent of looking more like his dad than his dad does.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:1) Joseph was superb and
2) if Underhill can't learn something from Louw then he's not the player we think he is.

3) On the other side, Olly Robinson could be an outside bet for England at some point. Classical 7, very hard-working, and has looked at ease in the Premiership this season.
4)Plus, he's got the fun talent of looking more like his dad than his dad does.

Puja
1) Agreed
2) Agreed
3) Agreed
4) haha, agreed.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Agree with that and would add that Catt was excellent.

Bristol back to their early season worst i'm afraid. Bath good, though. And as mentioned above, Mercer is coming on a treat. A back row of him and the Curry twins would be a real handful if they get to play for the U20's.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

fivepointer wrote:Agree with that and would add that Catt was excellent.

Bristol back to their early season worst i'm afraid. Bath good, though. And as mentioned above, Mercer is coming on a treat. A back row of him and the Curry twins would be a real handful if they get to play for the U20's.
Definitely. Evans will probably be in the mix for U20s come the U20 World Cup too so we're looking very strong there.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Wasps EQP from today:
Plus:
Mullan (just)
Launch
Robson
Cipriani
Daly (average other than try but moments of brilliance make the difference)

Evens:
Bassett
Myall
Symons
McIntyre
Thompson
Simpson

Minus:
Wade
Hughes
bitts

Post by bitts »

Given he's coming back from injury, Launch was pretty good. Seemed to be always close to the ball.

Long term, it would be great if we could have him and Itoje as our second row pairing