The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

I'll need to see it again only seen it on sky go on my phone.
Adder

Post by Adder »

5 competitors for the runner up positions pool 2, 4 and 5.
Toulouse connacht - toulon - Bordeaux and Ulster

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Frustrating game. I feel like Glasgow are better tham them but I bet that is what half their opponents say. On the drop goal chance at the end. Was russel not lining up for it?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Wun against Leicester could be enough. Ulster game tomorrow is big
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

I like the way Glasgow play and blokes like Swinson and Strauss are the sort I love to watch as long as I'm not watching them play against Munster. Swindon was head and shoulders the MOTM today. Strauss took the understandable strategy of closing down Murray a little too far beyond the line of legality in my view, but it's a game for grown ups so they get up and get on with it.

However, I have wondered so often why if I like the team so much, I enjoy beating Glasgow more than any other side in the Pro12. And then I read the sort of Shyte Woatmead posts and I remember that so many of your fans are ignorant gobshytes.

For the rest of you, get out there and thump the crap out of Tigers next weekend. I want to see Gregor get you to the quarters.
Idle Feck
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I like the way Glasgow play and blokes like Swinson and Strauss are the sort I love to watch as long as I'm not watching them play against Munster. Swindon was head and shoulders the MOTM today. Strauss took the understandable strategy of closing down Murray a little too far beyond the line of legality in my view, but it's a game for grown ups so they get up and get on with it.

However, I have wondered so often why if I like the team so much, I enjoy beating Glasgow more than any other side in the Pro12. And then I read the sort of Shyte Woatmead posts and I remember that so many of your fans are ignorant gobshytes.

For the rest of you, get out there and thump the crap out of Tigers next weekend. I want to see Gregor get you to the quarters.
Despite their success over the last few seasons I've never once jumped on the Glasgow bandwagon unlike some on this forum so I'm not quite sure where you get the idea that I'm a weegie.

I can't imagine what you took a dislike to anyway. Calling Murray out for what he is?

Congrats on your win, you were better than Glasgow today and are looking like the form team in Europe right now. Weeg have nothing to be ashamed by that result.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Donny osmond »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I like the way Glasgow play and blokes like Swinson and Strauss are the sort I love to watch as long as I'm not watching them play against Munster. Swindon was head and shoulders the MOTM today. Strauss took the understandable strategy of closing down Murray a little too far beyond the line of legality in my view, but it's a game for grown ups so they get up and get on with it.

The fans are the reason I dont go and watch anymore despite living literally 2 mins from the ground.
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Sadly, Glasgow have a bit to go before they can expect to win the game in the last minute with a thirty pass try from their own line, a la NZ..
Admire the purity of the ambition, but surely a drop goal attempt must have crossed someone`s mind..?
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

Despite their success over the last few seasons I've never once jumped on the Glasgow bandwagon unlike some on this forum so I'm not quite sure where you get the idea that I'm a weegie.

I can't imagine what you took a dislike to anyway. Calling Murray out for what he is?

Congrats on your win, you were better than Glasgow today and are looking like the form team in Europe right now. Weeg have nothing to be ashamed by that result.
Wait, who on here jumped on the weeg bandwagon??

He's not wrong though, you do post a fierce about of hysterical bollocks sometimes Greg.
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

Here, because I'm too lazy to go looking, does the Leicester Racing score help the weeg out at all?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Edinburgh in Exile wrote:Here, because I'm too lazy to go looking, does the Leicester Racing score help the weeg out at all?
Mathematically? No.

In the sense that Leicester might just send our their seconds next week? Possibly... unlikely though.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Edinburgh in Exile wrote:Here, because I'm too lazy to go looking, does the Leicester Racing score help the weeg out at all?
In as far as Leicester are out now, possibly.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Oh. Well said, Hugh.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

General Zod wrote:Oh. Well said, Hugh.
Thanks.

EinE is a rude little fellow, isn't he?
SerjeantWildgoose

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

I'm not going to hog your excellent thread, but I can't let this one pass Greg.

I don't for a moment question the tactic of closing down Conor Murray and our other kickers - and it worked to a degree. If we had been able to use our kicking game yesterday with the freedom and effect that we've used it against others this season, I would wonder if the game would have been anywhere near as close as it was. I thought the ref had a good game to be fair, though if a couple of the hits that came in marginally late (but late nonetheless) against Murray and Zebo - and launched against their standing ankle - had come in against Russell and Hogg the Glasgow fans would have howled a hole in the sky.

The penalty against Strauss for taking out Conor Murray when he was using the cricket crease roller technique of getting out of the way was perfectly sound - his gobbing off was idiotic under any circumstances but having been the puppy caught next to the pile of poo it was particularly so. Look at the scoreline and that act of idiocy cost you the game.

Hogg's yellow would have been harsh in November - it was a piece of piss for the officials to call under the new laws. If they had determined that his leaving out a trailing arm at head height was reckless, he could have seen red; not that the colour of the card had any effect on the game, but it might have affected your chances of putting 4 tries past the Tigers next week. So 2 acts of twattery from Glasgow and a frankly pathetic stand off at the end of the game, which showed the young Grey still needs to do a bit of growing up. Neither of these sides like each other, that is quite clear. But when the officials have to break up a melee after the ref has blown for no side, I'd say that its gone too far. I had the great fortune to live in Glasgow for 4 years and to be at every Munster and most of the provincial games over that time. I was at Scotstoun a few years ago when, despite Glasgow camping on our 5m line for the last 10 minutes trying to find the winning score to what had been a typically tight and hard-fought encounter, the crown booed Munster off the park. I'll not be back.

And calling Murray out for whatever your distorted view of 'what he is' does not justify this ...
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Why are so many irish players complete pricks? Sexton, Murray, Earls...
Murray, after Chicago, has a reasonable call to be among the best scrum halves on the planet; Sexton in his pomp (Despite his clearly being a prawn munching Ladyboy ballix), isn't far off being talked of in the same terms at stand off. It makes sense then, that the opposition support wouldn't be too fond of them. And after his red at TP, I can see why you'd get on the rocker over Earls, but if you opened your eyes long enough to read the press, you'd know that distraught as the man was (Remember the tragic circumstances under which the game was played), he has since apologised to Glasgow and to the player he tipped for taking the stand he did.

Anyway, 'nuff said. Sorry for calling you a Weegie and sorry for interrupting the discussions on the far more important matter of how Glasgow will negotiate their way around Welford Road and into the quarters. If I wasn't yelling myself hoarse as we try to give ROG a less than welcoming return to TP, I'd be in front of the box cheering on the Warriors.
Idle Feck
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Donny osmond wrote:

The fans are the reason I dont go and watch anymore despite living literally 2 mins from the ground.
BOOOOOOOOOOOO
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

I'm not going to hog your excellent thread, but I can't let this one pass Greg.

I don't for a moment question the tactic of closing down Conor Murray and our other kickers - and it worked to a degree. If we had been able to use our kicking game yesterday with the freedom and effect that we've used it against others this season, I would wonder if the game would have been anywhere near as close as it was. I thought the ref had a good game to be fair, though if a couple of the hits that came in marginally late (but late nonetheless) against Murray and Zebo - and launched against their standing ankle - had come in against Russell and Hogg the Glasgow fans would have howled a hole in the sky.

The penalty against Strauss for taking out Conor Murray when he was using the cricket crease roller technique of getting out of the way was perfectly sound - his gobbing off was idiotic under any circumstances but having been the puppy caught next to the pile of poo it was particularly so. Look at the scoreline and that act of idiocy cost you the game.

Hogg's yellow would have been harsh in November - it was a piece of piss for the officials to call under the new laws. If they had determined that his leaving out a trailing arm at head height was reckless, he could have seen red; not that the colour of the card had any effect on the game, but it might have affected your chances of putting 4 tries past the Tigers next week. So 2 acts of twattery from Glasgow and a frankly pathetic stand off at the end of the game, which showed the young Grey still needs to do a bit of growing up. Neither of these sides like each other, that is quite clear. But when the officials have to break up a melee after the ref has blown for no side, I'd say that its gone too far. I had the great fortune to live in Glasgow for 4 years and to be at every Munster and most of the provincial games over that time. I was at Scotstoun a few years ago when, despite Glasgow camping on our 5m line for the last 10 minutes trying to find the winning score to what had been a typically tight and hard-fought encounter, the crown booed Munster off the park. I'll not be back.

And calling Murray out for whatever your distorted view of 'what he is' does not justify this ...
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Why are so many irish players complete pricks? Sexton, Murray, Earls...
Murray, after Chicago, has a reasonable call to be among the best scrum halves on the planet; Sexton in his pomp (Despite his clearly being a prawn munching Ladyboy ballix), isn't far off being talked of in the same terms at stand off. It makes sense then, that the opposition support wouldn't be too fond of them. And after his red at TP, I can see why you'd get on the rocker over Earls, but if you opened your eyes long enough to read the press, you'd know that distraught as the man was (Remember the tragic circumstances under which the game was played), he has since apologised to Glasgow and to the player he tipped for taking the stand he did.

Anyway, 'nuff said. Sorry for calling you a Weegie and sorry for interrupting the discussions on the far more important matter of how Glasgow will negotiate their way around Welford Road and into the quarters. If I wasn't yelling myself hoarse as we try to give ROG a less than welcoming return to TP, I'd be in front of the box cheering on the Warriors.
Got to disagree with you a bit on two counts Serge.

The oppobrium against Earls is not due to the tackle itself, I think most accept that emotions were running high at that point. What sticks is that he went to a board and showed remorse only to take it all back in an interview days later and accuse Brown of cheating.

The other thing is I think that the crowd in Glasgow is changing. It used to be 1500 diehards who had followed rugby all their lives. Now they're regularly selling out four times that (or something close). The newbies are attracted by a winning team but as someone who only gets there maybe twice a year I think I've seen it changing. There used to be a divide between the old and new but more that the new fans become old fans the more they understand the game. It's never going to be Munster (where I've never been) because the history is different. I think that there can be some allowances made.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

switchskier wrote: The oppobrium against Earls is not due to the tackle itself, I think most accept that emotions were running high at that point. What sticks is that he went to a board and showed remorse only to take it all back in an interview days later and accuse Brown of cheating.
That is exactly why Earls is a nasty scumbag. We all have heated moments on the pitch which we can forgive and given what Earls went through I've yet to encounter a forum poster who wasn't sympathetic to his situation. As you say... a few days later when emotion had died down, he'd had time to reflect on it... despite a host of senior players, mentors, coaches and most important of all a communications/press officer at his disposal for advice... he chose to go public with that crap. That's not in the heat of the moment, that is a carefully considered and calculated decision. There is no two ways about it - Earls is a nasty little scumbag.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I think it is harsh seeing Hogg's tackle as an act of twattery. I thought it was right decision but clearly no malice in it, just a classic off balance sticking an arm out.

As for the fight at the end, I dont like it but it's hardly that rare for their to be a quick scuffle and then everyone to shake hands. Especially in a tight game where there has been a bit of niggle.

Anyway, BP next week and we're all happy
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
switchskier wrote: The oppobrium against Earls is not due to the tackle itself, I think most accept that emotions were running high at that point. What sticks is that he went to a board and showed remorse only to take it all back in an interview days later and accuse Brown of cheating.
That is exactly why Earls is a nasty scumbag. We all have heated moments on the pitch which we can forgive and given what Earls went through I've yet to encounter a forum poster who wasn't sympathetic to his situation. As you say... a few days later when emotion had died down, he'd had time to reflect on it... despite a host of senior players, mentors, coaches and most important of all a communications/press officer at his disposal for advice... he chose to go public with that crap. That's not in the heat of the moment, that is a carefully considered and calculated decision. There is no two ways about it - Earls is a nasty little scumbag.
And this is why you're captain hyperbole. Could be that Earls is just a bit thick and got himself caught going backwards and forwards? Or that he had an argument with a family member and then got caught by a reporter.

Of course for me he'll always remain max Evans bitch.
SerjeantWildgoose

OptimisticJock wrote: BOOOOOOOOOOOO
I've only just realised that that isn't the Weegie version of Fields of Athenry.

They're not nearly as polite as the Embra fan, though he's a beggar to find these days.
Idle Feck
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote: BOOOOOOOOOOOO
I've only just realised that that isn't the Weegie version of Fields of Athenry.

They're not nearly as polite as the Embra fan, though he's a beggar to find these days.
I'm on missionary work in Dundee these days, usually at weekends so it's hard for me to get down and fill Murrayfield out.

Plus my dug ran off during the Bradley era.
SerjeantWildgoose

hugh_woatmeigh wrote: That is exactly why Earls is a nasty scumbag. We all have heated moments on the pitch which we can forgive and given what Earls went through I've yet to encounter a forum poster who wasn't sympathetic to his situation. As you say... a few days later when emotion had died down, he'd had time to reflect on it... despite a host of senior players, mentors, coaches and most important of all a communications/press officer at his disposal for advice... he chose to go public with that crap. That's not in the heat of the moment, that is a carefully considered and calculated decision. There is no two ways about it - Earls is a nasty little scumbag.
You cannot sustain this argument having spent the entire game yesterday complaining about perfectly sound refereeing decisions going against Glasgow and offering not a syllable of retraction. Earls was an idiot for accusing Brown of making more of the tip tackle that was warranted - the Munsterman in me can't help but believe that there is a degree of substance in the accusation. All split second stuff and at the very pinnacle of emotional pressure. A less angsty bloke might have taken the result and the very short ban and kept his own counsel. But 'nasty little scum-bag'? You are allowing your emotions to get the run of ye, Big Fellah.

And I'm sorry, Cameo, but a professional player who leaves arm to dangle at head height when going for such a risky tackle in the red zone with the game in such a precarious balance? If it had been Zebo at the other end, I'd be on the Munster thread calling it an act of twattery.

Edit: Just realised that twattery in Irish-speak means idiocy/foolishness and not something naughtier, like it means in some parts of the English speaking world.
Last edited by SerjeantWildgoose on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

OptimisticJock wrote:I'm on missionary work in Dundee these days, usually at weekends so it's hard for me to get down and fill Murrayfield out.

Dundee? That's worse than The Congo!

And you're lucky you only had Bradley for a handful of years. The useless ballix has one of our passports.
Idle Feck
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:I'm on missionary work in Dundee these days, usually at weekends so it's hard for me to get down and fill Murrayfield out.

Dundee? That's worse than The Congo!

And you're lucky you only had Bradley for a handful of years. The useless ballix has one of our passports.
You're not wrong. Still like going into some schemes without top cover.

That's a fair point.