EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Scrumhead

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Scrumhead »

Renniks wrote:Haskell and Clifford not travelled with rest of squad to Portugal…

How's Beaumont been doing this season? Worth pulling in to the training squad?

Are there players outside of the EPS worth calling up or are we stuck with some combination of Harrison, Hughes, Williams, Wood (And Itoje)
Beaumont has been in poor form this season and hasn't really stood out as a leader in a poor Sale side.

He doesn't really warrant a place in the squad on form. Definitely no more than Morgan anyway.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Odds on england being able to field 15 players against france?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Renniks wrote:Harrison, Hughes, Williams, Wood
This depresses me.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mellsblue wrote:
This depresses me.
At least a backrow of Itoje, Hughes and Wood gives us some lineout options! :D
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Haskell needs game time. He looked seriously undercooked against Zebre. I'm sure he'll turn out for Wasps at the w/e.
Clifford probably in the same boat.

Beaumont hasn't really made a case for inclusion. Mix of indifferent form and some niggling injuries.

If we're struggling in the back row Jackson Wray is surely worth looking at.
Digby

Post by Digby »

The idea of Wray playing for England is just so underwhelming, though he's not the only player that'd be the case for.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Oakboy wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
This depresses me.
At least a backrow of Itoje, Hughes and Wood gives us some lineout options! :D
It'll improve the jumping options, but I do wonder if perhaps some of our best lifters are out in the brothers Vunipola
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That seems to be a factor people often ignore, no point having great jumpers if there's nobody to lift them.

A Williams, Harrison, Hughes backrow would be enough for me to not bother watching.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Renniks wrote:Haskell and Clifford not travelled with rest of squad to Portugal…

How's Beaumont been doing this season? Worth pulling in to the training squad?

Are there players outside of the EPS worth calling up or are we stuck with some combination of Harrison, Hughes, Williams, Wood (And Itoje)
I know he's young, and hasn't had a chance to suffer/recover from 2nd Season Syndrome - but Zach Mercer really has been tearing up trees; and actually getting game-time.
I'd have him ahead of Williams right now, whilst Harrison and Wood only really have it over him for experience*. Mind, I'd have Mark Wilson ahead of Harrison too, and again, only behind Wood for international experience* Garvey would have been in the same boat for me had his neck not given way again**.

Beyond that - have we really given up on even mentioning Kvesic's name when we're this far down the list of options?

* ETA: and line-out for Wood of course.
** He's about to get his 2nd fake cervical disc; right next-door to his existing one - I fear for his future in the sport.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Carl Fearns would be way ahead of kvesic and can play 8.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

twitchy wrote:Carl Fearns would be way ahead of kvesic and can play 8.
Given Eddie's views on Kvesic (and TBH, Kev's form this season) - then yeah, he probably would be - though he's already been discussed properly.

I also think that Carl's reputation has been improved significantly by not being seen very often by many of us.
When he was last in the Prem, he was a solid Prem player, but no-one would have had him in the top 5 for any backrow position. Since then he's spent a year in the French 2nd division, and half a season in the T14, and suddenly he's in contention.
I must admit, I've not seen anything much of him whilst he's been in France; but either he's improved beyond all expectation, or absence has made many hearts grow fonder - as often happens.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Sure but I'm just saying he has to be above kvesic (who has looked pretty poor). We are missing our entire first choice back row and half the bench options plus people like ewers who could have come in.
Puja

Post by Puja »

On a cheery note, the French players are dropping like flies. Fofana was already out from the weekend, but now his replacement, Chavancy, has gone too. Replaced by Bastareaud.

In the forwards, Ben Arous has had to pull out, which is good news.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

twitchy wrote:Sure but I'm just saying he has to be above kvesic (who has looked pretty poor). We are missing our entire first choice back row and half the bench options plus people like ewers who could have come in.
I'm a fan of Kvesic, but this season has been a write-off for him and I'm not sure he justifies consideration right now - even with the injuries. He started poorly, got injured and now can't dislodge Rowan from the Gloucester side. Some of that will be down to his move to Exeter, but Rowan's also performed well enough to justify keeping his place too.

If Clifford and Haskell are out, we need cover for 6/7 and 8. Personally, I'd go for Morgan and Wilson.

Morgan is a proven test player and I find it a little bizarre that he's not really been given a shot. OK he's not shooting the lights out from a club form point of view, but arguably he never has and even then he's performed better than Beaumont.

If everyone's fit, Wilson's probably not in the frame, but personally I rate him ahead of Timmy and Williams. Sure he's not going to make a highlight reel, but I think he could do an excellent job of deputising for Robshaw and he had been a key part of Newcastle's success this season. It's a shame he's overlooked IMO.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Kvesic isn't being picked as he's off to Exeter. And as ever class is permanent. The problem for Kvesic is rightly or wrongly (and for me it's wrongly) he's just not what's wanted in the role whether he's judged a good player or not, and whether he's considered in form or not.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I still think Morgan has a huge amount to give. I can't say I've watched him a whole lot for Gloucester I just think Eddie could get a lot more from him.
Digby

Post by Digby »

The potential is there with Morgan, though he just seems a bit nice.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Digby wrote:The potential is there with Morgan, though he just seems a bit nice.
I know what you mean. Still, I'd like to see him get another chance, maybe Eddie just gives him a slap in the chops as he leaves the changing room.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

We are going to struggle up front against the french aren't we.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

twitchy wrote:We are going to struggle up front against the french aren't we.
Courage mon brave! (but yes we will have our hands full)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Scrum might be an issue, so I hope Marler is fit. That aside, I think we should be fine.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Timbo wrote:Scrum might be an issue, so I hope Marler is fit. That aside, I think we should be fine.
Agree…

If we can start well, I don't see there being an issue
bitts

Post by bitts »

I'm most worried about Hartly to be honest. I just worry that he's our fourth choice hooker when judged on ability, and at some point, the players will lose confidence in him because of that. I also think we are wasting caps at him at this point as I can't see him being in the side for the next WC. Now is as good a time as ever to see whether someone else can step us as captain. My vote would be for Joe Launchberry or Jamie George.
Peat

Post by Peat »

bitts wrote:I'm most worried about Hartly to be honest. I just worry that he's our fourth choice hooker when judged on ability, and at some point, the players will lose confidence in him because of that. I also think we are wasting caps at him at this point as I can't see him being in the side for the next WC. Now is as good a time as ever to see whether someone else can step us as captain. My vote would be for Joe Launchberry or Jamie George.
That was my position at the start of last year.

I'm now willing to trust Uncle Eddie to move Hartley once the players cease having confidence in him (clearly hasn't happened yet) and move on to other leaders and hookers in time for them to bed in before the World Cup.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

I also trust his judgement that there aren't enough leaders in the side, and moving one of them on after that kind of comment would be very strange

Whether Hartley is / should be a leader is a separate discussion for me