skidger

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by skidger »

Puja wrote:
skidger wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Balls:

Six Nations: Anthony Watson an injury doubt for England
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38777814
The article mentions May will now get a chance but cannot understand why Nowell would start over May in the first place.
EP beat me to it. The more pertinent question would be why they think Watson was slated to start over May.

Shame not to have him, but May and Nowell are fine starting and Daly now has the 23 shirt wrapped up. There are worse injuries that we could have, but *no more please.* Thanks.

Puja
Ok fair enough but if fit the May needs to be backed and have a good run at starting. Defence has improved and i think he is a threat to any side in the world. I would not say the same of Nowell on the wing but i can sure he will score a few tries in the 6N as he usually does.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

skidger wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:
skidger wrote:
The article mentions May will now get a chance but cannot understand why Nowell would start over May in the first place.
Because he's in outstanding form

I am not sure that club form has really ever mattered with England selection,rightly or wrongly. Certainly not for a good few years now. I do think you should have a bit of credit in the bank at top level and May is a better winger than Nowell imo. If form came into England selection then someone send a memo in regards to Mike Brown.
Been playing pretty well actually, thanks.

It's a shame the 14 guys in front completely fall to bits whenever Robshaw isn't there though.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

skidger wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:
skidger wrote:

I am not sure that club form has really ever mattered with England selection,rightly or wrongly. Certainly not for a good few years now. I do think you should have a bit of credit in the bank at top level and May is a better winger than Nowell imo. If form came into England selection then someone send a memo in regards to Mike Brown.
Nowell is in top form but May was in Autumn whilst in an Eng shirt. Regardless, they aren't really competing for the same jersey if Jones wants a speedster and a worker.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Whilst we're on the subject. There is an interview with Nowell in today's The Times. He admits he's slow for a test winger:

When the RBS Six Nations begins next weekend, the racehorse wing will be Watson or Jonny May; Nowell is clear favourite to resume the role of work-rate wing. He is candid about the fact that work rate and game awareness help him to compete with wings who are blessed with more speed. “It is a goal to work on my pace, my top speed,” he says. “I’m obviously not as quick as Jonny but there are probably very few in the Premiership who are.

“I try to get into positions that enable me to cancel that speed out. If that means a bit more early work rate to get somewhere or to close the metres down on someone so that they can’t pick up that high speed, then that’s what I have got to do. People do talk about my pace, but at the moment I’m getting into those positions where I’m not being outrun or made to look silly.”
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:Whilst we're on the subject. There is an interview with Nowell in today's The Times. He admits he's slow for a test winger:

When the RBS Six Nations begins next weekend, the racehorse wing will be Watson or Jonny May; Nowell is clear favourite to resume the role of work-rate wing. He is candid about the fact that work rate and game awareness help him to compete with wings who are blessed with more speed. “It is a goal to work on my pace, my top speed,” he says. “I’m obviously not as quick as Jonny but there are probably very few in the Premiership who are.

“I try to get into positions that enable me to cancel that speed out. If that means a bit more early work rate to get somewhere or to close the metres down on someone so that they can’t pick up that high speed, then that’s what I have got to do. People do talk about my pace, but at the moment I’m getting into those positions where I’m not being outrun or made to look silly.”
I will take a moment to point out that he's not "slow for a test winger." He's just not as fast as May or Watson. There are plenty of test wingers that he's of a similar pace to.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Whilst we're on the subject. There is an interview with Nowell in today's The Times. He admits he's slow for a test winger:

I will take a moment to point out that he's not "slow for a test winger." He's just not as fast as May or Watson. There are plenty of test wingers that he's of a similar pace to.

Puja
He says he works hard on early movement to nullify faster wingers so as not to be 'out run' or 'made to look silly'. As he was too many times this time last year. That it's 'a goal to work on my pace'. He's obviously conscious that top end pace is an issue.
He may be of similar pace to some test wingers, according to you, but they too may be slow for a test winger. I can't think of a top test winger at present who has worries over his pace. It also doesn't mean it isn't a weakness. Nowell has plenty of other attributes and on current form I'd pick him for England. But he admits that top end pace is a weak point.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
He says he works hard on early movement to nullify faster wingers so as not to be 'out run' or 'made to look silly'. As he was too many times this time last year. That it's 'a goal to work on my pace'. He's obviously conscious that top end pace is an issue.
He may be of similar pace to some test wingers, according to you, but they too may be slow for a test winger. I can't think of a top test winger at present who has worries over his pace. It also doesn't mean it isn't a weakness. Nowell has plenty of other attributes and on current form I'd pick him for England. But he admits that top end pace is a weak point.
Based on his quotes, I'd say that he's admitting that end pace isn't a strong point. "Not as fast as Jonny, but few are".

I would say any winger who is aware that there are people faster than them would like to be faster. It's the classic attribute for wingers.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Based on his quotes, I'd say that he's admitting that end pace isn't a strong point. "Not as fast as Jonny, but few are".

I would say any winger who is aware that there are people faster than them would like to be faster. It's the classic attribute for wingers.

Puja
All true. It certainly reads like its something that plays on his mind. He knows he's been shown up a few times. Let's hope he can get quicker. It's not a given.

If you just want to base it on quotes, he admits he's worried about being 'out run'. Doesn't really get much clearer than that.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

Puja
Also worth pointing out that the full quote is:
"I’m obviously not as quick as Jonny but there are probably very few in the Premiership who are."
No mention of test players.
bitts

Post by bitts »

Wonder if Eddie's treatment of Roko is to give him a boot up the area to turn him from a finishing wing into a workhorse wing to compete with Yarde and Nowell?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Interesting that Daly gets no mentions for the wing slot. I know that Eddie has indicated Watson/May on one side and Nowell/Yarde on the other in a speedster-worker combination. It just seems to me that Daly, with his increased physicality, can offer the best of both worlds. In due course, I suspect he will be brought of the bench to prove it - unless he becomes a realistic option at FB.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Mellsblue wrote:
skidger wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:

Nowell is in top form but May was in Autumn whilst in an Eng shirt. Regardless, they aren't really competing for the same jersey if Jones wants a speedster and a worker.
I do get that and do generally like the idea but do think that Watson and May are England's two best wingers. Can also see the attributes of Nowell but prefer the speedsters. Fitting them all in gets back to the possibility of Nowell or Watson taking the 15 spot from the pretty average Mike Brown. I doubt under Eddie they would have to be playing 15 at their clubs to do this.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

skidger wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
skidger wrote:

I do get that and do generally like the idea but do think that Watson and May are England's two best wingers. Can also see the attributes of Nowell but prefer the speedsters. Fitting them all in gets back to the possibility of Nowell or Watson taking the 15 spot from the pretty average Mike Brown. I doubt under Eddie they would have to be playing 15 at their clubs to do this.
We'll see Watson back there soon. Going by Eddie's utterings I think that would've been this 6N if Watson had been playing all season.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Nowell isnt the quickest but i'd have him in my side based on the way he's playing.

Tough on Watson but i'm not sure he would have started. May and Nowell are a nice contrast and both in very good form.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Mellsblue wrote: If you just want to base it on quotes, he admits he's worried about being 'out run'. Doesn't really get much clearer than that.
No he doesn't. He says he doesn't get outrun because he thinks quicker. And he's clearly right.
For soundbite journalism, that's a pretty impressive bit of self analysis.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

kk67 wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: If you just want to base it on quotes, he admits he's worried about being 'out run'. Doesn't really get much clearer than that.
No he doesn't. He says he doesn't get outrun because he thinks quicker. And he's clearly right.
For soundbite journalism, that's a pretty impressive bit of self analysis.
You missed the 'at the moment' in his quote, then? He does get out run, it happened far too often last year. Also, if he's having to make earlier decisions in defence and make earlier moves he's not only admitting he is compensating for lack of pace but he is also very reliant on decision making, which nobody will get correct 100% of the time, and he's a few yards out of optimal position to cover all eventualities.
Look, said the Aussie sportsman answering a stock question, he's a good player and he's in top form but he lacks top end pace, which will always compromise a winger.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Yeah, you're right. All test wingers should be sprinters, all 10's should be place kickers and all backrow shall be 6'2".
Last edited by kk67 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

kk67 wrote:Yeah, you're right. All test wingers should be sprinters, all 10's should be kickers and all backrow shall be 6'2".
Very mature. It's not black and white. Have I said he isn't a good player? No. I've merely pointed out he's short of pace. Something he's clearly conscious of himself.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Mellsblue wrote:
kk67 wrote:Yeah, you're right. All test wingers should be sprinters, all 10's should be kickers and all backrow shall be 6'2".
Very mature. It's not black and white. Have I said he isn't a good player? No. I've merely pointed out he's short of pace. Something he's clearly conscious of himself.
Aware of the supposed criticism. He seems unconcerned to me.

Maybe it's time to reconsider our reaction to the rat-tail.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

kk67 wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Aware of the supposed criticism. He seems unconcerned to me.

Maybe it's time to reconsider our reaction to the rat-tail.
So him stating that he will work on his top end pace tells you he seems unconcerned.

No issues with the rat tail - from the interviews I've read he seems like a top bloke - but I wish he'd win his bet so he could get rid of that abomination of a beard.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Never ceases to amaze me when posters take personal offence about others stating facts they don't like.
George Ford is physically smaller than ideal. Jack Nowell is slower than ideal. Rokoduguni is older than ideal. Ellis Genge is less experienced than ideal.
These things are all true, and none of the above are bad players as a result, just less good than they could have been otherwise.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:Never ceases to amaze me when posters take personal offence about others stating facts they don't like.
George Ford is physically smaller than ideal. Jack Nowell is slower than ideal. Rokoduguni is older than ideal. Ellis Genge is less experienced than ideal.
These things are all true, and none of the above are bad players as a result, just less good than they could have been otherwise.
Nonsense. Ford is a titan of a man and I won't hear anything different.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

You are Kyle Eastmond, and I claim my £5
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:Never ceases to amaze me when posters take personal offence about others stating facts they don't like.
Nonsense. Ford is a titan of a man and I won't hear anything different.

Puja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Reports today say Watson out for France but Marler fit.