The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Adder

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Adder »

hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Just had my tickets for Sarries through today. Nothing to warrant the £8 delivery fee... just the postie as usual.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Ref for Saracens - Glasgow : J. Garcès

Good news IMO
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Adder wrote:Ref for Saracens - Glasgow : J. Garcès

Good news IMO

Seen him being very good and sometimes gives it to the dominant team

Last chance for Scotland players to make a case, beating sarries may help wiping away the Twikenham debackle
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Gregor Townsend has been boosted by the return of a number of Scotland internationals as the Guinness PRO12 returns to Scotstoun with the visit of Connacht this Saturday.Stuart Hogg returns for Glasgow Warriors tomorrow afternoon

Fresh from being named RBS 6 Nations Player of the Championship, Stuart Hogg starts at full-back, hoping to continue his international form on the domestic stage.

Hogg is joined in the back-three by centurion Sean Lamont who lines up on the right wing, with Rory Hughes on the opposite side.

In the centres Peter Horne captains the side for the second game in a row, alongside Nick Grigg, who scored two tries against the Dragons earlier this month.

The Scotland half-back pairing reunite in a Warriors shirt with Ali Price and Finn Russell both starting.

In the front-row Alex Allan and Sila Puafisi pack down either side of All Black Corey Flynn.

Tim Swinson and Brian Alainu'uese continue their partnership in the second-row, both having impressed in Glasgow's last game against the Dragons.

Matt Smith will make his home debut starting on the open flank and he is joined by Rob Harley and Adam Ashe in the back-row, with Harley set to make the second highest number of appearances of any player in a Glasgow shirt.

Warriors fans could be treated to witnessing the Horne brothers playing together for Glasgow for the first time with scrum-half George named amongst the replacements.

Fraser Brown and Gordon Reid return from international duty to cover the front-row and are joined on the bench by Scotland teammate Alex Dunbar.

More than 7,000 tickets have been sold for tomorrow's clash, with the last remaining tickets available HERE

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: "It's great to welcome so many of our Test players back into our squad, who have all played a part in what was a successful 6 Nations for Scotland.

"They have brought energy and enthusiasm to the group and added quality to our preparations this week.

"Connacht are a side we respect greatly, from their positive approach to the game and also how hard they work for each other. It should be a cracking game at Scotstoun."

Glasgow Warriors team to play Connacht in the Guinness PRO12 at Scotstoun Stadium, Saturday 25 March, live on Sky Sports 2 (kick-off 5.15pm). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

15. Stuart Hogg (96)
14. Sean Lamont (110)
13. Nick Grigg (15)
12. Peter Horne (109) CAPTAIN
11. Rory Hughes (28)
10. Finn Russell (59)
9. Ali Price (37)

1. Alex Allan (45)
2. Corey Flynn (14)
3. Sila Puafisi (38)
4. Tim Swinson (93)
5. Brian Alainu'uese (11)
6. Rob Harley (157)
7. Matt Smith (1)
8. Adam Ashe (34)

Replacements

16. Fraser Brown (59)
17. Gordon Reid (109)
18. D'arcy Rae (21)
19. Scott Cummings (13)
20. Lewis Wynne (13)
21. George Horne (1)
22. Alex Dunbar (94)
23. Peter Murchie (114)

Not available due to injury: Mark Bennett (knee), Zander Fagerson (foot), Simone Favaro (knee), Lee Jones (eye), James Malcom (ankle), Pat MacArthur (ankle), Leonardo Sarto (shoulder), Tommy Seymour (back), Josh Strauss (medical), Richie Vernon (Achilles) and Ryan Wilson (shoulder).

f**k hope some of those injuries clear up for next week :uhoh:

The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
ARM

Post by ARM »

hp18 wrote:

Gregor Townsend has been boosted by the return of a number of Scotland internationals as the Guinness PRO12 returns to Scotstoun with the visit of Connacht this Saturday.Stuart Hogg returns for Glasgow Warriors tomorrow afternoon

Fresh from being named RBS 6 Nations Player of the Championship, Stuart Hogg starts at full-back, hoping to continue his international form on the domestic stage.

Hogg is joined in the back-three by centurion Sean Lamont who lines up on the right wing, with Rory Hughes on the opposite side.

In the centres Peter Horne captains the side for the second game in a row, alongside Nick Grigg, who scored two tries against the Dragons earlier this month.

The Scotland half-back pairing reunite in a Warriors shirt with Ali Price and Finn Russell both starting.

In the front-row Alex Allan and Sila Puafisi pack down either side of All Black Corey Flynn.

Tim Swinson and Brian Alainu'uese continue their partnership in the second-row, both having impressed in Glasgow's last game against the Dragons.

Matt Smith will make his home debut starting on the open flank and he is joined by Rob Harley and Adam Ashe in the back-row, with Harley set to make the second highest number of appearances of any player in a Glasgow shirt.

Warriors fans could be treated to witnessing the Horne brothers playing together for Glasgow for the first time with scrum-half George named amongst the replacements.

Fraser Brown and Gordon Reid return from international duty to cover the front-row and are joined on the bench by Scotland teammate Alex Dunbar.

More than 7,000 tickets have been sold for tomorrow's clash, with the last remaining tickets available HERE

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: "It's great to welcome so many of our Test players back into our squad, who have all played a part in what was a successful 6 Nations for Scotland.

"They have brought energy and enthusiasm to the group and added quality to our preparations this week.

"Connacht are a side we respect greatly, from their positive approach to the game and also how hard they work for each other. It should be a cracking game at Scotstoun."

Glasgow Warriors team to play Connacht in the Guinness PRO12 at Scotstoun Stadium, Saturday 25 March, live on Sky Sports 2 (kick-off 5.15pm). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

15. Stuart Hogg (96)
14. Sean Lamont (110)
13. Nick Grigg (15)
12. Peter Horne (109) CAPTAIN
11. Rory Hughes (28)
10. Finn Russell (59)
9. Ali Price (37)

1. Alex Allan (45)
2. Corey Flynn (14)
3. Sila Puafisi (38)
4. Tim Swinson (93)
5. Brian Alainu'uese (11)
6. Rob Harley (157)
7. Matt Smith (1)
8. Adam Ashe (34)

Replacements

16. Fraser Brown (59)
17. Gordon Reid (109)
18. D'arcy Rae (21)
19. Scott Cummings (13)
20. Lewis Wynne (13)
21. George Horne (1)
22. Alex Dunbar (94)
23. Peter Murchie (114)

Not available due to injury: Mark Bennett (knee), Zander Fagerson (foot), Simone Favaro (knee), Lee Jones (eye), James Malcom (ankle), Pat MacArthur (ankle), Leonardo Sarto (shoulder), Tommy Seymour (back), Josh Strauss (medical), Richie Vernon (Achilles) and Ryan Wilson (shoulder).

f**k hope some of those injuries clear up for next week :uhoh
Toonie has said Zander and Tommy will be fine for next week, Johnny and Pyrgos are having a rest. Sartos also not too far away (though won't be playing next week).
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The effect Hogg can have on a crowd in a moment like that is ludicrous.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I don't see Grigg becoming a superstar but I love the drive he plays the game with.

Lamont through there with far more pace than I thought he had left. Gutted it came to nothing.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Not quite sure what Glasgow's plan in the first half was exactly but it is absolutely astounding they are just two points behind with 15% possession. Defence is excellent but Connacht are a team who like to attack, they'll always get a few scores on the board with that much possession. This sort of performance would shut down a limited team like Edinburgh, Zebre/Treviso or Dragons but the second half will need a bit of a change in tactics.

Grigg & Big Brian superb.

Smith just seems anonymous every time I see him - is he being played out of position?

They need to shut down O'Hallorahan better this half as well.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Glasgow trying to play some rugby now but 4 knock ons in the space of 5 minutes... Need to keep at it & the scores will come.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Typical Glasgow try. Great snipe & offload from Price & super support line from Russell.

Think the weeg are suffering from Hughes & Lamont on either wing. Surely Junior paired with one of them would have been a better option?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Good score.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I so want Hughes to use his size and pace but I've never seen his game quite click in to place.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Mikey Brown wrote:I don't see Grigg becoming a superstar but I love the drive he plays the game with.

Lamont through there with far more pace than I thought he had left. Gutted it came to nothing.
It's almost like Grigg has to put in twice the performance required just to get the plaudits because of his size. Every time he plays I'm waiting to see something happen where his size is his downfall but it never comes. He misses tackles like any other player but I've never seen him trampled like some players defending the fly half/centre channel.

He is a very, very good player. If he was the size of Dunbar or Henshaw I think you'd be using the word superstar...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

LOL.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

That's got to be a yellow. That looked nasty.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Possibly even red?

Lamont is a clever player btw. His reaction was totally calculated. No punching, no pushing, he just dragged the knob along the floor like a rag doll.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Ah... the Scotstoun football chanting is back.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'm going to miss Lamont a lot. Have I said that already?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Price having a stormer. His defence has been notable and great control from Ashe there.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Mikey Brown wrote:I'm going to miss Lamont a lot. Have I said that already?
The person? Yes, we all will. As a player he's not got many tools in his shed anymore.

Great score. Glad to see Price put in a great performance - thought he had a quiet 6N but the gaps are a lot harder to find at international level.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

More the general vibe and the nonsense like that he brings. I won't pretend he's got all the skills I'd want in a winger.

Clumsy from Reid there but I think the change of angle took him by surprise.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

This ref is mental. Brown & Reid tugging at the ball legally for near on 10 seconds... no pen? Is it Davies? He's awful.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What the fuck, Swinson?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Why?