EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Eugene Wrayburn

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:
I am reluctantly coming around to your last sentence. Today was not impressive, in any way shape or form.

Puja
You are surprised why?
Because he brings so much else that's good in his game - his linking, evasiveness, strength in contact, ability to make something out of nothing, work rate - I was fair convinced that he had enough of everything else to make a decent international and his performances for England have generally backed that up.

Today, however, was everything that his critics said would happen at the very top level and it was not encouraging.

Puja
Odd. I've never seen any of those things in him - though I've watched almost no AP in years - and always seen him as the same headless chicken that I saw today.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

I've seen plenty of Nowell and he's a player I like a lot. Feisty, competitive and willing with a lot of good performances for club and country under his belt. Today he did some good things but glaring errors in defence and lack of penetration with the ball do not look good.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

fivepointer wrote:I've seen plenty of Nowell and he's a player I like a lot. Feisty, competitive and willing with a lot of good performances for club and country under his belt. Today he did some good things but glaring errors in defence and lack of penetration with the ball do not look good.
I note none of the things that you admire are ability...

He's basically Fergus McFadden. Or Dave Kearney.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
morepork

Post by morepork »

He got stepped and skinned far too easily.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:
I am reluctantly coming around to your last sentence. Today was not impressive, in any way shape or form.

Puja
You are surprised why?
Because he brings so much else that's good in his game - his linking, evasiveness, strength in contact, ability to make something out of nothing, work rate - I was fair convinced that he had enough of everything else to make a decent international and his performances for England have generally backed that up.

Today, however, was everything that his critics said would happen at the very top level and it was not encouraging.

Puja
Because they had already happened a lot at international level; his one on one defence has been poor from day 1 internationally.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:I've seen plenty of Nowell and he's a player I like a lot. Feisty, competitive and willing with a lot of good performances for club and country under his belt. Today he did some good things but glaring errors in defence and lack of penetration with the ball do not look good.
with a lot of defensive frailty at intl level. He's a very good club player; he makes useful yards, but his pace won't worry anyone much. Good work rate and all that, but that's kind of a given.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Banquo wrote:
with a lot of defensive frailty at intl level. He's a very good club player; he makes useful yards, but his pace won't worry anyone much. Good work rate and all that, but that's kind of a given.
Tis true sadly. I quite like the fella and always comes across well imo but........you could do a youtube hilights reel of him flailing at people when badly positioned. He has missed plenty of tackles for England in his career already. Whilst the defence may come he will also need to gain a yard of pace like Mike Brown did(before he went utterly shite around 3 years ago). If i was a Chiefs fan i would be pleased to have him and pay to keep him around but at the moment the next step up is too far for him. One of the Lions coaches talked about x factor this week and how it was needed to score tries and beat the Kiwis. If this is the case then surely May should have toured. A player not without his own faults but i would rather back him than Nowell.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Yep.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

morepork wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
padprop wrote:In other news, Nowell getting torn a new one by Ioane
Yep. He doesn't have the wheels......not sure if I've mentioned it before ;)

Screen shot 2017-06-07 at 12.59.51 PM.png
Don't make me dig out the Topsy Ojo tries again.
morepork

Post by morepork »

You have belittled my comprehensive analysis with a glib historical comparison. How dare you. A picture is worth a thousand glibs.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

You've only got yourself to blame:

p/d

Post by p/d »

Have only just got round to watching it. From an England perspective thought Lawes the pick - probably the best forward on show - Itoje & Cole okay, Nowell not as bad as many are making out and Haskell, well, just Haskell.

Otherwise thought 10, 12 & 13 uninspiring giving Daly no chance to put down a marker
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Yep.
His work rate is better than good, it's closer to exceptional, and Eddie does like a flyer and a worker. Though I can't say I'm much of a fan for Nowell being on the wing at test level, and I'd still prefer Exeter played him at 15 simply with a view to what might best suit England
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: with a lot of defensive frailty at intl level. He's a very good club player; he makes useful yards, but his pace won't worry anyone much. Good work rate and all that, but that's kind of a given.
Yep.
His work rate is better than good, it's closer to exceptional, and Eddie does like a flyer and a worker. Though I can't say I'm much of a fan for Nowell being on the wing at test level, and I'd still prefer Exeter played him at 15 simply with a view to what might best suit England
He did work very hard against the Blues. The way he kept chasing his opposite number every time he beat him on the outside was laudable.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote:Have only just got round to watching it. From an England perspective thought Lawes the pick - probably the best forward on show - Itoje & Cole okay, Nowell not as bad as many are making out and Haskell, well, just Haskell.

Otherwise thought 10, 12 & 13 uninspiring giving Daly no chance to put down a marker
How so?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Yep.
He did work very hard against the Blues. The way he kept chasing his opposite number every time he beat him on the outside was laudable.
he also worked hard to jump above everyone for SBW's assist.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Yep.
I didn't quite laugh out loud, but at the very least I smiled and breathed out strongly through the nose.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
I didn't quite laugh out loud, but at the very least I smiled and breathed out strongly through the nose.
That's the best result I'll get today.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: He did work very hard against the Blues. The way he kept chasing his opposite number every time he beat him on the outside was laudable.
Best result I've gotten so far was heading to the pub for lunch, back home now and just opened a bottle of London Pride so as not to let any advantage gained slip away
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Best result I've gotten so far was heading to the pub for lunch, back home now and just opened a bottle of London Pride so as not to let any advantage gained slip away
I heard the UK spent more on Gin than ever before last year. Well, I may not be able to contribute to that, but I can contribute to Hungary's gin intake. Got a bottle in the fridge, will have a nice cold one soon. Wish I could make a good Martini, though, I'm terrible at making them for some reason. Need some more practice. Maybe I'll get the Vermouth out when the Tonic runs out.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: That's the best result I'll get today.
I heard the UK spent more on Gin than ever before last year. Well, I may not be able to contribute to that, but I can contribute to Hungary's gin intake. Got a bottle in the fridge, will have a nice cold one soon. Wish I could make a good Martini, though, I'm terrible at making them for some reason. Need some more practice. Maybe I'll get the Vermouth out when the Tonic runs out.
I was taught to put the vermouth in the glass twirl it around and then tip it out before adding the gin
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:
I was taught to put the vermouth in the glass twirl it around and then tip it out before adding the gin
Indeed. And everyone makes bloody dry Martinis these days. But I like mine a bit wetter. So I do that, but leave a tiny dash in the glass. Or ask the bartender for a wet Martini with a twist of lemon.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:
Indeed. And everyone makes bloody dry Martinis these days. But I like mine a bit wetter. So I do that, but leave a tiny dash in the glass. Or ask the bartender for a wet Martini with a twist of lemon.
I've just set off to the local for my first drink - Saltaire Blonde - of a fair few. Paddy Power still haven't coughed up my winnings so I'll have to fund this myself.
Edit: First choice local was rammed so I'm having a pint of North Brewery Spitnik round the corner instead.
Last edited by Mellsblue on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morepork

Post by morepork »

What the eff is this? The smoking jacket appreciation board?

Sort yourselves out.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

morepork wrote:What the eff is this? The smoking jacket appreciation board?

Sort yourselves out.
Quite. Martinis ffs. Only Connery could pull that off.