Snap General Election called

Mellsblue

Re: RE: Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Mellsblue »

canta_brian wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:I think May's plan for working age, working class UKIPpers did work, as can be seen in a few Conservative gains, some very close calls and the swings in predominantly working class Leave constituencies. The problem is she pissed off the retired UKIPpers whilst Corbyn promised to keep paying the well off amongst them money they don't need. Plus the yoof vote, obviously.
Remember, the Conservatives increased their vote share, just not as much as Labour. I read somewhere that the Conservatives were 4,500ish votes from forming a majority such were the number of close calls. Most of these were Labour held constituencies targeted by May's policies for 'JAMS'.

Don't take this as me defending May. She has royally ****ed up.

As an aside, if someone can explain to me how the hell Goldsmith regained Richmond Park I'd much obliged.
Fair few close calls the other way as well. My constituency had a 2500 odd tory majority cut to just 31. (labour). Amber Rudd's constituency just kept recounting until the ended up on a number where she had more votes (still don't know how recounts work), and there must be a few others.
Yep. It was incredibly close both ways in quite a few constituencies. It was a very strange election in many, many ways. Politics students will be studying it for many a year.
Banquo

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Banquo »

Meanwhile...someone was talking sense during the election

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

So, today the Times is alleging that there are moves to get Ruth Davison into a position where she could be party leader.

Meanwhile, there are cross bench discussions on Brexit taking place under the radar. In all seriousness, if there are enough moderate MPs who agree to a softer form of Brexit and the crazies on both sides can be kept contained, then a hung parliament might not be such a disaster.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:So, today the Times is alleging that there are moves to get Ruth Davison into a position where she could be party leader.

Meanwhile, there are cross bench discussions on Brexit taking place under the radar. In all seriousness, if there are enough moderate MPs who agree to a softer form of Brexit and the crazies on both sides can be kept contained, then a hung parliament might not be such a disaster.
.....and see UKIP reappear quick sharp. Farage would love it (establishment conspires to thwart the will of the people blah blah). Cross party consensus outside of the govt would likely kill May/Davis too (huzza). Don't get me wrong, anything that de-brexit's brexit is desirable, but is it palatable to the 52%?

Interesting times. Not good times.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

By the by, anyone know about how the checks and balances around voting work; I wasn't asked for any form of ID, just address and street number. Both my children were on the same list that was checked for me, yet I know they both had postal votes as well (in my son's case, he got three! but used only one). Seemed sloppy, and open to fraudulent voting if you wanted to.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Banquo wrote:By the by, anyone know about how the checks and balances around voting work; I wasn't asked for any form of ID, just address and street number. Both my children were on the same list that was checked for me, yet I know they both had postal votes as well (in my son's case, he got three! but used only one). Seemed sloppy, and open to fraudulent voting if you wanted to.
My colleagues here in NL were appalled when I mentioned that we don't need ID to vote in the UK. Makes is look like a banana republic.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

jared_7

Post by jared_7 »

Before visiting Number 10, Mrs Foster met her 10 MPs for a photocall in Westminster.
"The future's bright", she said - prompting one of them, Ian Paisley junior to respond: "The future's orange"
This is going to end well.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote:
Banquo wrote:By the by, anyone know about how the checks and balances around voting work; I wasn't asked for any form of ID, just address and street number. Both my children were on the same list that was checked for me, yet I know they both had postal votes as well (in my son's case, he got three! but used only one). Seemed sloppy, and open to fraudulent voting if you wanted to.
My colleagues here in NL were appalled when I mentioned that we don't need ID to vote in the UK. Makes is look like a banana republic.
You are not
Legally obliged to carry ID on this country. Civil
Liberties and all that.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:So, today the Times is alleging that there are moves to get Ruth Davison into a position where she could be party leader.

.....and see UKIP reappear quick sharp. Farage would love it (establishment conspires to thwart the will of the people blah blah). Cross party consensus outside of the govt would likely kill May/Davis too (huzza). Don't get me wrong, anything that de-brexit's brexit is desirable, but is it palatable to the 52%?

And here is the conundrum. How many of those who voted to leave would be happy to stay in the single market?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Conservatives did moot the need for ID to vote. Labour responded that it was a ploy to stop those without a passport or driving licence, and therefore those more likely to support Labour, from voting.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Conservatives did moot the need for ID to vote. Labour responded that it was a ploy to stop those without a passport or driving licence, and therefore those more likely to support Labour, from voting.
Good work.

I did hear reports of students voting more than once; not that it would make any difference in all likelihood, but it seemed to me very easy to vote a couple of times either post duplication or simple impersonation.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote:
Banquo wrote:

And here is the conundrum. How many of those who voted to leave would be happy to stay in the single market?
Not many if it meant free movement
Peat

Post by Peat »

The right wing press is already starting the fight back against a softer Brexit. Problem is, any government May puts together collapses without guarantees of a soft Brexit and so does any goverment Corbyn puts together. An alliance between the two is about the only way you'd force a hard Brexit through and I would collapse laughing if that happened.

Do the 52% kick off? I feel like this country has severe politics fatigue, as shown by the way they punish every politican dragging them to polls unnecessarily. What sort of Brexit they were getting was never specified. I dunno. Maybe they don't. Maybe they demand another referendum on it - not sure they'd win.

If I was a politician, I'd just go with the soft Brexit and take my chances.
jared_7 wrote:
Before visiting Number 10, Mrs Foster met her 10 MPs for a photocall in Westminster.
"The future's bright", she said - prompting one of them, Ian Paisley junior to respond: "The future's orange"
Oi! We already used that joke here for one of the Ulster threads.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Conservatives did moot the need for ID to vote. Labour responded that it was a ploy to stop those without a passport or driving licence, and therefore those more likely to support Labour, from voting.
Good work.
'Tis true.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Good work.
'Tis true.
shame
skidger

Post by skidger »

Banquo wrote:
Good work.

I did hear reports of students voting more than once; not that it would make any difference in all likelihood, but it seemed to me very easy to vote a couple of times either post duplication or simple impersonation.
I voted for myself and for someone else who could not make it to the poll station. Thought i would give it and a go and was merely asked for my name,well the name of the person i was pretending to be. They looked up the number,ticked it off and let me vote.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

skidger wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Good work.

I voted for myself and for someone else who could not make it to the poll station. Thought i would give it and a go and was merely asked for my name,well the name of the person i was pretending to be. They looked up the number,ticked it off and let me vote.
QED, That can't be right. You get around Jezza :)
skidger

Post by skidger »

Banquo wrote:
skidger wrote:
Banquo wrote: Good work.

I did have their polling card but did read that i did not need that anyway.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

skidger wrote:
Banquo wrote:
skidger wrote:
no you didn't. It just seems....strange. My son and daughter were both on the same list as me, and I know they had postal votes.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Peat wrote:The right wing press is already starting the fight back against a softer Brexit. Problem is, any government May puts together collapses without guarantees of a soft Brexit and so does any goverment Corbyn puts together. An alliance between the two is about the only way you'd force a hard Brexit through and I would collapse laughing if that happened.

Do the 52% kick off? I feel like this country has severe politics fatigue, as shown by the way they punish every politican dragging them to polls unnecessarily. What sort of Brexit they were getting was never specified. I dunno. Maybe they don't. Maybe they demand another referendum on it - not sure they'd win.

If I was a politician, I'd just go with the soft Brexit and take my chances.
jared_7 wrote:
Oi! We already used that joke here for one of the Ulster threads.
Or they could show some moral courage and do what's best for the country. They have the rough direction of travel but not the detail. Plenty of wriggle room and whatever they do, some sod will moan.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote:
skidger wrote:
Banquo wrote:
no you didn't. It just seems....strange. My son and daughter were both on the same list as me, and I know they had postal votes.
Proxy votes are supposed to be registered.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

You require photographic ID to vote in Norn Iron. Maybe its about time we had a bit of DUP rigour in government? (Make the most of Sunday opening and homosexuality while you can.)
Idle Feck
Digby

Post by Digby »

I don't think we need to worry about people simply turning up to vote in polling stations without ID. The real problem, and the Labour government at the time were told it would be an issue is the bloody postal voting, and the Tories have ensured it remains broken under their watch.

We know there are blocks of the country with stupidly high levels of postal voting being requested and far too many anecdotal accounts of just a handful of people controlling hundreds if not thousands of postal votes.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:I don't think we need to worry about people simply turning up to vote in polling stations without ID. The real problem, and the Labour government at the time were told it would be an issue is the bloody postal voting, and the Tories have ensured it remains broken under their watch.

We know there are blocks of the country with stupidly high levels of postal voting being requested and far too many anecdotal accounts of just a handful of people controlling hundreds if not thousands of postal votes.
point is we don't know, and I see no reason at all why you shouldn't have to hand in your voting card as a minimum. Agreed on the rest- and frankly with the tight margins in some seats , it makes a bit of a mockery of a dubious non-system.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Assuming that a voting card even arrives. Mine didn't this time and I had to ring the council to confirm that I was registered at my new address and where I was voting.

Totally agree about postal votes which is far more open to abuse.