The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

Swinson and Harley were a disgrace at that scrum.

The scrums are what they are. They have chosen to go with young front row options barring Brown and Kebble so there are going to be harsh lessons along the way even for Fagerson and Rae who have been around for a couple of seasons but are still young.

The could have done with a couple of older heads in the front row pool but went for youth. Example would be an older hooker who can do the basics very well but went for Turner who has potential but has basics are up and down.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

This ref is beyond rank rotten.

Pink holding on & forward pass in the same two phases and he just waves play on...
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:Swinson and Harley were a disgrace at that scrum.

The scrums are what they are. They have chosen to go with young front row options barring Brown and Kebble so there are going to be harsh lessons along the way even for Fagerson and Rae who have been around for a couple of seasons but are still young.

The could have done with a couple of older heads in the front row pool but went for youth. Example would be an older hooker who can do the basics very well but went for Turner who has potential but has basics are up and down.
Do you not think it's anything to do with the coaching as well? SRU chose to go down the jobs for the boys route. Humphreys was always a weak link in the Scotland coaching team and he's a weak link in the Glasgow team right now.

Besides Reid, Strauss and Puafisi this is very much the same group of forwards that performed so well against Racing Metro, Leicester, etc.
Big D

Post by Big D »

That is complete nonsense by glasgow.

Nikos mistake.
Turner getting done on the line.
Finn there. A drop goal/pen is equally as good as a try there. Why through a shitey 30/70 ball?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:That is complete nonsense by glasgow.

Nikos mistake.
Turner getting done on the line.
Finn there. A drop goal/pen is equally as good as a try there. Why through a shitey 30/70 ball?
He needs his head screwed on. People are willing to accept the good with the bad but he really does need to have a f*cking think sometimes. That incident you mention plus the kick to nowhere with no available chasers to squander possession when Glasgow were ripping Exeter to pieces on the attack are beyond moronic.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

As for Niko, I raised the point earlier. I have no idea why he seems to be first choice back 3 cover. Sarto is a superior winger. I suspect he would have dealt with that better.

Still think there were some great performances out there today.

I cannot get over how rapid Turner is but he needs to get better at the basics of a hooker.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

A couple things highlighted in that game are really pissing me off.

Binding ahead of the man in a line out catch is a penalty, at some points both teams had 3-4 men ahead of the catcher before he hit the deck

Exeter rucking or to be more precise going off their feet at every ruck , ref should have forced them to at least get back to their feet.

Ref was ok but being French will always favour the set piece team because that's what they do. A couple of penalties early would have forced Exeter to stay on their feet in the rucks.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Spot on Java. Exeter were flopping all over the place. Some really great pilfering from the weeg as well which as ignored time and time again by the ref.

At the end of the day though it comes down to favouring the dominant forward pack and it's down to Glasgow to address that.
Adder

Post by Adder »

We don't have a great set piece at the moment and thus score a lot of lose counter attacking tries but I can't think of many recent set piece tries. It really needs to be worked on.
Big D

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

Do you not think it's anything to do with the coaching as well? SRU chose to go down the jobs for the boys route. Humphreys was always a weak link in the Scotland coaching team and he's a weak link in the Glasgow team right now.

Besides Reid, Strauss and Puafisi this is very much the same group of forwards that performed so well against Racing Metro, Leicester, etc.
Humphries is a shite coach but they have replaced those that left with Kebble/kids (or not at all in Strauss' case as I'm not counting Vunisa). They've lost a lot of experience (Flynn around the squad) and in Reid and Strauss to of their better physical carriers.

Glasgow 3 tight heads have an average age of 21 they are going to have peaks and troughs (Fagerson struggled at times in the scrum last year too) and there is no experienced alternative.

Behind Brown is a bang average Pat Mac and Turner who hasn't got his basics nailed yet, and more than JH have coached him.

Exeter would have looked at that pack and thought there's very few of them that concern them in terms of ball carrying. Once Wilson went off for Harley that reduces the carrying/ball playing capabilities further.

Its a bit like Edinburghs backs for me in that we know the coaching is shite but recruitment could and should have been better IMO.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Scrums were rock solid for the five minutes Brown was on. Horrible feeling his ACL has popped.

You can shout about recruitment but Kebble is crocked and Halankonkukonokokonoa ain’t turned up yet so we’re making do.

Won’t get any easier next week against McGrath and Furlong. Big blow not to get a LBP tonight
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

Humphries is a shite coach but they have replaced those that left with Kebble/kids (or not at all in Strauss' case as I'm not counting Vunisa). They've lost a lot of experience (Flynn around the squad) and in Reid and Strauss to of their better physical carriers.

Glasgow 3 tight heads have an average age of 21 they are going to have peaks and troughs (Fagerson struggled at times in the scrum last year too) and there is no experienced alternative.

Behind Brown is a bang average Pat Mac and Turner who hasn't got his basics nailed yet, and more than JH have coached him.

Exeter would have looked at that pack and thought there's very few of them that concern them in terms of ball carrying. Once Wilson went off for Harley that reduces the carrying/ball playing capabilities further.

Its a bit like Edinburghs backs for me in that we know the coaching is shite but recruitment could and should have been better IMO.
To be fair on the topic of TH - they have the tongan first choice prop arriving once the domestic season in NZ ends.

That raises another point. Kebble, Jones, TH prop (forget his name), Gibbins all had commitments down south which should have been managed better. As a result Glasgow have no options whatsoever in the centre with Dunbar out and have no experience at TH for the the time being.

I do agree though. The depth in the backs has improved significantly but they've neglected the forwards big time. Gibbins is a huge improvement on Favaro but they've downgraded depth-wise in almost every other position besides second row. I really don't understand what happened with Corey Flynn as he was released a year early. He's exactly what Glasgow need right now. Does very little wrong.

I wouldn't say it's a crisis but there's a huge warning sign over part of the Glasgow regime and very little seems to be getting done about it.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Did forget the Tongan fella to be fair.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

The pack has been a concern all season and I fear will let them down in Europe. As others have said though, only some of that is recruiment. They have been missing 2/3 of the first choice front row until now. I'd say they have very good depth in the second row though less in the back row.

Given budget restraints I suppose they have to put their faith in youngsters covering one area and the crop of back row up amd comers is decent
Big D

Post by Big D »

I know big Brian was injured so couldn't add his physicality off the bench, but I do wonder whether they need to look at Fagerson for Harley off the bench next week. Harley offers nought in these high intensity games from the bench imo.
Big D

Post by Big D »

ARM wrote:Scrums were rock solid for the five minutes Brown was on. Horrible feeling his ACL has popped.

You can shout about recruitment but Kebble is crocked and Halankonkukonokokonoa ain’t turned up yet so we’re making do.

Won’t get any easier next week against McGrath and Furlong. Big blow not to get a LBP tonight
The last sentence sums up one of my bigger concerns about scottish sides including the national team. At times there is a lack game situation awareness. With little left on the clock last night what russell did was daft when he should have been thinking drop goal or penalty.

If Glasgow and Scotland are to progress we need the players to be better at that type of thing. Sarries, Munster and Leinster, the sides who repeatedly do well at Europe would have at least given themselves a shot at a drop goal for the bonus point there.
Last edited by Big D on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:
ARM wrote:Scrums were rock solid for the five minutes Brown was on. Horrible feeling his ACL has popped.

The last sentence sums up one of my bigger concerns about scottish sides including the national team.bout Russell. At times there is a lack game situation awareness. With little left on the clock last night what rus did was daft when he should have been thinking drop goal or penalty.

If Glasgow and Scotland are to progress we need the players to be better at that type of thing. Sarries, Munster and Leinster, the sides who repeatedly do well at Europe would have at least given themselves a shot at a drop goal for the bonus point there.
Completely agree.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

I haven't seen the game so perhaps a little perspective. Three months ago we all expected this to be a rebuilding season for Glasgow. They'd lost a fe players and the consensus was that the youngsters were a bit green and needed a season's worth of experience. We also thought that it would take time for Rennie to make his mark and that there was little continuity in the coaches. After an unbeaten start to the season I think that we lost sight of that and it's also fair to say that the group is horrible. Any of the teams in that group can win the entire competetion.

I'm sure that they'll play Lenister hard next week but a loss might not be the worst thing for this team. It'll allow them to concentrate on the league, not get overstretched and next season, a year older, they can have a really good crack at it again.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote:I haven't seen the game so perhaps a little perspective. Three months ago we all expected this to be a rebuilding season for Glasgow. They'd lost a fe players and the consensus was that the youngsters were a bit green and needed a season's worth of experience. We also thought that it would take time for Rennie to make his mark and that there was little continuity in the coaches. After an unbeaten start to the season I think that we lost sight of that and it's also fair to say that the group is horrible. Any of the teams in that group can win the entire competetion.

I'm sure that they'll play Lenister hard next week but a loss might not be the worst thing for this team. It'll allow them to concentrate on the league, not get overstretched and next season, a year older, they can have a really good crack at it again.
Problem is that as players are only contracted for a short number of years every year or two could be a rebuild. Glasgow will in all likelihood have a new 10 next season.

Expectations have to change as a season develops. Glasgow should now be expecting to reach the pro 14 play offs for example.

Although we can make allowances for injuries, new coaches and systems there still needs to be criticism where warranted. Especially when it comes to things that have been an issue for a while like for example the lack of game awareness in the last 5mins.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big D wrote:
switchskier wrote:I haven't seen the game so perhaps a little perspective. Three months ago we all expected this to be a rebuilding season for Glasgow. They'd lost a fe players and the consensus was that the youngsters were a bit green and needed a season's worth of experience. We also thought that it would take time for Rennie to make his mark and that there was little continuity in the coaches. After an unbeaten start to the season I think that we lost sight of that and it's also fair to say that the group is horrible. Any of the teams in that group can win the entire competetion.

Problem is that as players are only contracted for a short number of years every year or two could be a rebuild. Glasgow will in all likelihood have a new 10 next season.

Expectations have to change as a season develops. Glasgow should now be expecting to reach the pro 14 play offs for example.

Although we can make allowances for injuries, new coaches and systems there still needs to be criticism where warranted. Especially when it comes to things that have been an issue for a while like for example the lack of game awareness in the last 5mins.
As I said, I didn't see the game but game awareness has been pretty good so far this season. That's why they're unbeaten in the domestic competition despite only really playing well once.

And rebuilds are going to have to come around fairly frequently for the Scottish sides. Like it or not we can't compete financially at the minute and the best players will want to earn elsewhere eventually. I love following the NFL and there's a really noticeable difference between the teams that get stuck in the middle of the road, convinced that they're only a player or two off from competing and those that recognise the end of eras and go into rebuild mode. Scottish rugby feels similar with bigger clubs replacing the strictures of the salary cap.

Glasgow have come to the end of the era where they benefitted from Gray, Pyrgos, Russell, Horne, Dunbar, Seymour, Bennett and Hogg breaking through as young players on cheap contracts. They should accept it and aim to win big next year and I think to some extent they have by choosing to promote some of the youngsters now. I'm kind of hopeful that something similar may finally be happening at Edinburgh, though a couple of seasons behind.
Big D

Post by Big D »

The thistle rugby pod last week was suggesting Finn has already signed a pre contract agreement with Montpellier.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Hogg is backImage

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Big D

Post by Big D »

Has there been any news on a scale of fit to fucked about Brown?

Going to be a tough shift in the tight 5.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I think I quite that team. Not a lot of decisions to be made in the pack at the moment. Hogg and Sarto add some extra spark to the backs. I'm also not convinced by Horne and Grigg as a combo in big tight games though basically just think we miss Dunbar
ARM

Post by ARM »

Big D wrote:Has there been any news on a scale of fit to fucked about Brown?

Going to be a tough shift in the tight 5.
Not as fcked as first feared. Knee injury but doesn’t need surgery - out fer 8 weeks along with big Brian.

If we had Kebble and the Tongan propping I would say that’s a first class team with a great shot at beating Leinster. Still a good side but we’ll need to be accurate to limit scrums and be canny when we have them.